BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody, yesterday I was changing the oil pan gasket on my e60 550i and I found this piece of timing chain guide on the bottom, the piece it's really really small, does anyone know where the piece actually came from, like which exact part of the guide? I would leave some pictures for you to see. Besides that, the engine runs flawlessly.
Wood Carmine Food Natural material Hardwood
Wood Flooring Tints and shades Wood stain Hardwood
Food Ingredient Chemical compound Cuisine Fashion accessory

Enviado desde mi SM-A525M mediante Tapatalk

· Registered
57 Posts
By looking at the piece, it looks like that portion would go around one of the positioning posts for the guide. Others here with more experience will probably comment but I think you are going to have to get the front cover off and replace the chain and guides.

· Registered
308 Posts
How unusual for an N62! How many miles are on your engine?
It doesn’t really matter where it came from, you should probably replace all of the guides at this point, and install a 90 degree thermostat while you’re at it. That sucks though! These engines usually don’t have timing chain guide issues, unlike the earlier M62s.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How unusual for an N62! How many miles are on your engine?
It doesn’t really matter where it came from, you should probably replace all of the guides at this point, and install a 90 degree thermostat while you’re at it. That sucks though! These engines usually don’t have timing chain guide issues, unlike the earlier M62s.
The car has 110k miles but the engine runs just fine, I would take the risk and don't do the timing on the short time...

Enviado desde mi SM-A525M mediante Tapatalk

· where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,892 Posts
it's like the old joke, "I bit into an apple and found half a maggot"
not too make light of this, but that is scary !

• Haha
Reactions: Rsavory and ede39
1 - 9 of 9 Posts