BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just got a jet black BMW 530i with about 30k miles on it.

I am definitely interested in making it look nice, run nicer, sound better, etc.

I was just wondering if you could all chime in and tell me about the best deals and great quality mods in these areas:

- Sound Systems
- Cold Air Intake
- Fog Light HID/LED
- Interior LEDs
- WHEELS (size, brand, etc..)
- ETC...

I would appreciate your feedback and advice,

Thank you!

Aaron

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think you'll find more 5 series owners into modding over @ E60.net :dunno:

·
Banned
21 Posts
I assume that money is an object but there is still a lot you can do. Here is what I would start with assuming you have the same priority as I would. As far as sound system/music-that is something I do not care about so will not comment.

1.For 1000 bucks you can get an AFE air intake and a nice muffler/exhaust (Remus or supersprint) That is if you want a more "racy car" sound. Despite what some poster said in another post, the AFE is quite loud and sounds great as well as the sound of either of those exhausts. I have heard them both in that set up and its pretty loud but in an awesome way. If you do not want too loud then just get the exhaust. This would be what I think is the best placed money since the exhaust is a great cosmetic improvement over those tiny exhaust tips on the e60 that look extremely cheap and small. It also gives the car an amazing sound. BMW inline 6 engines sound awesome already but add those and it sounds amazing.

2.Tint your windows as dark as legal with a jet black. I have jet black and tinted windows are a must.

3.Wheels the options are endless and if you have money you can find tons of nice stuff but if you are on a limited budget such as me you may not want to spend that much. Beyern makes some nice bmw wheels-they make only bmw wheels so their fitment and quality is great as well as being decently light weight compared to OEM. BBS have few in the lower dough range but still quite a bit.

4. Another thing I did which was cheap but looks great on a jet black is getting black 530i emblem on the rear. YOu can find it at modbargains.com. They have carbon fiber which looks cool-the chrome one just stands out too much on black.

I think if you were to do just the exhaust and intake and some wheels, you would be a very happy camper. I personally think 19s look the best on the e60

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you....

Thanks for the recommendations.

I am looking forward to hearing more.

For now, my windows are blacked out and I just ordered the black 530i emblems...
I also ordered the colored roundels to make the blue show black.

In the meantime, I am considering LED Xenon Interior lights, a valentine one device, and a grill...

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Banned
21 Posts
I think the blacked out grill goes too far on a black car-just does not look right IMO. If you want to spend 300 bucks they have a carbon fiber grill that I think would look great!

I also think the black roundels are too much-something about going past that line and making it go down in class IMO. Keeping the blue bmw roundels is a must IMO to keep the car classy and clean. I like subtle additions but blacking everything out and changing the roundels is too much but to each there own

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dude -- V1 first and foremost! :angel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
disregard. I gotcha.
Yeah...I will definitely be ordering a V1....
I am gonna take it into a nearby audio shop- im just not very good with installs.
He will probably charge me $75 bucks to install it.

Sounds good...
Now, what else....?

Thanks,
Aaron

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Suggestions in bold below.

Hey everyone,
I just got a jet black BMW 530i with about 30k miles on it.

Congrats. Please post pictures.

I am definitely interested in making it look nice, run nicer, sound better, etc.

I was just wondering if you could all chime in and tell me about the best deals and great quality mods in these areas:

- Sound Systems
Given the integrated nature of the sound system, upgrades can be difficult. The best bang for your buck is to upgrade the speakers.
- Cold Air Intake
Save your money. Most are detrimental to performance. I've heard good thing about Dinan's, however.
- Fog Light HID/LED
In my book, fog lights are for fog. If you feel the need to upgrade, you might consider a LCI taillight or headlight retrofit.
- Interior LEDs
Can't help you here.
- WHEELS (size, brand, etc..)
OEM are far superior to many aftermarket offerings. have the following choices in my eyes: Type 135, (nice) Type 172, (nicer) and Type 166 (nicest). The M6 wheels also look very good. The only problem with M wheels is that you need the brakes to match.
- ETC...

I would appreciate your feedback and advice,

Thank you!

Aaron

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
4. Another thing I did which was cheap but looks great on a jet black is getting black 530i emblem on the rear. YOu can find it at modbargains.com. They have carbon fiber which looks cool-the chrome one just stands out too much on black.
Ditch the emblem entirely. Very European.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Aaron,

I am currently working on my car and here a few things I did:

-Upgraded to the M5 Aero Dynamic kit
-Got a rear ACS roof and trunk spoiler
-M5 Side Skirts
-Shaved off all the 530i emblems
-Blacked out all windows

I was very huge on clean crisp sound, but I am happy with the one BMW provides, if anything I would upgrade the back speakers to JL Subs that replace the speakers (I forgot the name for these)

V1 is still pending - I will get this once I got some more cash saved up

I am planning on getting the Hamann Racing Edition STYLE rims from mod bargains.

Once complete, I will be posting up some pictures and maybe you guys can provide some feedback/insight on how it looks and what can be improved.

Good luck to you on your journey to hook up your bimmer, make sure you upload some pix and keep us posted.

Best regards - DIESEL

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to mention that I also got the front grills blacked out as well, just gives it more of an aggressive and sportier look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diesel...

Thanks for the info.
We arent far from each other..I am in Culver City actually, but moving to Redondo Beach.

So, where do u get your stuff installed at?
I am not comfy doing it on my own.
Ie. the black grills, valentine one hard wire, ground kit installs, etc..

Also, please let me know about any local stores/shops you know of that give good deals.

Thanks brother,
Aaron

·
Rio The Racer
546 Posts
Tint
Rims
Tires ( best thing you can do for a cheep handeling mod
intake
exhaust
After all that than get the V1

·
Banned
21 Posts
Hey Aaron,

I am currently working on my car and here a few things I did:

-Upgraded to the M5 Aero Dynamic kit
-Got a rear ACS roof and trunk spoiler
-M5 Side Skirts
-Shaved off all the 530i emblems
-Blacked out all windows

I was very huge on clean crisp sound, but I am happy with the one BMW provides, if anything I would upgrade the back speakers to JL Subs that replace the speakers (I forgot the name for these)

V1 is still pending - I will get this once I got some more cash saved up

I am planning on getting the Hamann Racing Edition STYLE rims from mod bargains.

Once complete, I will be posting up some pictures and maybe you guys can provide some feedback/insight on how it looks and what can be improved.

Good luck to you on your journey to hook up your bimmer, make sure you upload some pix and keep us posted.

Best regards - DIESEL
Id stay away from those Hamman replicas on modbargains-they are really heavy. IN the 35 pound range for 19 incher I believe and for the price they are you want something lightweight. Lots of lightweight black or silver wheels that loook equally as good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The best, cheapest, easiest mod you can get is a Sprint Booster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aaron,

Yea I am in Northridge and I know a few good buddies that own some body shops.

As for the Hamann Racing STYLE rims, they are a bit heavy - up in the 35+ i believe, but the rims do look good, it is a lot better than spending $2Gs per rim for the actual Hamanns, but if you got that kind of money - more power to you. I have still not decided on the Rims I want. I have also been looking into the LEXANI LSS-5
Machined Black with Polished Stainless Lip.

Prior to those I was also thinking about gettin the Axis Pentas - but it appears all e60 dudes already have those, if someone can throw some suggestions please let me know. I'd really prefer some with a large lip and I want to stay away from Chrome Rims.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts