BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is, I won't be leaving you guys (BTW that's also the bad news)

After careful deliberations, I have decided to stay faithful to BMW . . . well that plus I love their damn cars :D

I have to admit I tried to sway away, I checked out and drove the New A4, I made calls and inquired about the G35 Coupe as well but I just can't do it.

BMW's are so freakin ADDICTING . . . yes they have those little things that annoy the sh*t out of me but what can I do !?!? I'm a BMW Addict . . .

WHEW !!!! That felt good, I can now go back to my obsessing :) :) !!!

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Haven't driven a G35 coupe yet, but I intend to. I'm also planning to give a long, hard look to the RX8 next Spring. Suggest you might think along similar lines...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
impressions?

what were your impressions of the new a4?

heavy?

nimble?

torquey? sluggish? rubbery shifter (still)?

i kinda liked it. but it was more akin to an AWD volvo to me. scandinavian/german fusion. interior makes me cry, though. it's gorgeous inside.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sean - most likely a 330i with a 5 speed manual.

I am going to give the A4 one more chance and take it for another test drive

Some driving impressions of the A4 were . . .

First let me tell you that I took a very short drive of the A4, it lasted about 5-7 minutes and it was at night. I originally went to the dealer earlier but forgot my dirvers license, so I went back tonight about 1/2 hr before they closed so I couldn't go as long as I wanted to.

Anyway, the car is very tight (solid) feeling, more so then my 330Ci.

The interior is beautiful, the leather is a lot better quality then BMW's. The Manual was decent though the throws were a drop longer then I expected but still felt precise. The clutch was pretty good and didn't have that BMW feel that is either push all the in or let all the way out (springiness). You BMW stick drivers know the feeling of what I am talking about.

My only real complaint about the A4 is the driver's space is small. I feel kind of closed in especially compared to our 3er which kind of let's you spread out a little. Our center console is pretty far away from you, in the A4, it's RIGHT THERE !!

The engine was great and the power was very nice, or I guess I should say the torque is very nice, it's with you all the way and I found myself driving faster then I normally would for a car I'm not used to. It is a definite enthuiasts car.

The thing is I don't trust Audi's as far as comfort. I've never been comfortable in my brothers 98 A4 2.8Q because his seat -0- Lumbar support though for 99 they changed the seat to be more comfortable.

Also, my fathers Allroad which at first feels good starts to wear on me after driving it for 10-15 minutes. The drivers seat is just plain uncomfortable and the center console hits my knee in the worst way.

I think my real worry with the A4 is the comfort of the drivers environment and in particular the driver's seat . . . the support was excellent and during my drive it was great but what about after 10 minutes . . . will i still feel comfortable and will that tight space which feels ok for a test drive feel too confined :dunno:

Those are my issues and since I already know how comfortable the E46 is, then shouldn't I just stick with it.

I told the salesman my concerns and he said to come back again tomorow and go for another drive.

I thing I know for sure, sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to things so maybe the A4 is THE car for me *sorry TD*

BTW overall, the BMW is the Sports car of the 2 and the Audi is the luxury car of the 2.

·
3,440 Posts
My local Audi dealer let's me take the vehicle by myself. I'm usually gone for 30 minutes to an hour. I really like the exterior/interior of the A4. :thumbup: I think the build quality is superior to BMW, but I'm really worried about the overall reliability of Audi's products.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean said:
My local Audi dealer let's me take the vehicle by myself. I'm usually gone for 30 minutes to an hour. I really like the exterior/interior of the A4. :thumbup: I think the build quality is superior to BMW, but I'm really worried about the overall reliability of Audi's products.
It must be nice living in Tennesse . .. her e in New Yrok, you rarely ever get the pleasur of taking a test drive by yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about Audi's reliability, it's not like you keep a car that long . . .

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Alan -

Let us know how this whole thing turns out. It sounds like you aren't 100% sure of sticking with BMW. So, you're going to the dark side (sedan). At least you'll be sticking with a third pedal! :thumbup:

I know what you're talking about with the center console bit. I've had a few cars that had the same problem with my knee hitting the center console. When I would drive back to NYC from here, it made for a rather uncomfortable time. I've never had that problem with the BMW. Even though our car looks like its small from the outside, the inside is larger than anyone might think.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Let us know how the test drive goes today.

On a side note, is your 330Ci a lease, or are you just needing a change?

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ack said:
Alan -

Let us know how this whole thing turns out. It sounds like you aren't 100% sure of sticking with BMW. So, you're going to the dark side (sedan). At least you'll be sticking with a third pedal! :thumbup:

I know what you're talking about with the center console bit. I've had a few cars that had the same problem with my knee hitting the center console. When I would drive back to NYC from here, it made for a rather uncomfortable time. I've never had that problem with the BMW. Even though our car looks like its small from the outside, the inside is larger than anyone might think.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Let us know how the test drive goes today.

On a side note, is your 330Ci a lease, or are you just needing a change?
Thanks Ack . . . just so you know, my 330Ci is a Steptronic so I'll actually be going to a stick this time around.

Also, I own it so it's really a matter of just getting something new plus I really desire driving a stick now. It was kind of a test when I got that Eclipse Convertible to see if I would like driving a stick everyday and after owning that car for 4 months I realized I do . . . I just love driving a manual.

As far as not 100% sure about sticking with BMW . . . The only thing that has me swaying back and forth is the fact that I KNOW the BMW way TOO well and I don't want to regret getting a similiar car again. Yes it will be a 4 door and stick but will that be enough to keep my attention for 2 years !?!?

Another thing, am I Biasd towards the BMW because I am familiar with it ? The answer is a definite yes, I already know that the drivers environment is very comfortable and to me that's a HUGE selling factor . . .

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Alan F

After reading your post I can fully understand why you replyed to my post( second thoughts on BMW),the way you did.It seems like our thoughts are the same about the little things going wrong that frustrate us.At this point I don't own my 330ci it owns me,I love that car but then again its only a car.I'm going to stay with BMW for awhile longer, there is nothing at this point that intrests me other than the Z4
good luck in what ever choice you make
thanks again for easing my pain
vern
ps do you think maybe we are prefectionist thats why we feel the way we do about the little things??

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Alan,

Good choice (are you sure you don't want a convertible???), just be sure to order option 77, Left and Right rear sit at same height, you know you'll be upset later if you don't

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Alan F

vern said:

ps do you think maybe we are prefectionist thats why we feel the way we do about the little things??
It's kind of interesting . . . I've always looked at myself as Obsessive.

My biggest thing is coming to the point of acceptance. I obsess like crazy until I either
a) fix the problem
b) if it can't be fixed after trying every possible method & I accept it . . .
Once I accept something I am ok with it.

The difference between OCD and being a perfectionist is a perfectionist can't accept that the problem can't be fixed

As a lot of people here will admit, for the most part we all have some degree of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)

I truly beleive this is not a BAD thing, sometimes it haunts us to a point of being disruptive but this very same degree of OCD makes us successful in other parts of our life such as business.
We put that extra effort into something because we HAVE to. Your clients notice it, they feel comfortable with it and actually depend on it.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Josh (PA) said:
Alan,

Good choice (are you sure you don't want a convertible???), just be sure to order option 77, Left and Right rear sit at same height, you know you'll be upset later if you don't
Josh you DOG ;) I gotta admit though, you are witty

·
Registered
362 Posts
Alan

I don't know how important it is to you, but to me the Navigation system was a major part of my decision to go with BMW over the A4.

It may sound silly to those who rave over the power or the suspension...Yes, I like those, too.

However, I am completely directionally challenged (or completely ignorant would be more correct). I cannot find my way around Atlanta to save my life, even if I go past something a million times. I have to take the exact routes to the places I go everyday or I really get lost and cannot even try to figure out which direction to go.

So, when I compared the A4's sorry excuse for a navigation system to the BMW it was a no-brainer. I was really hot for the A4 Cabriolet, too. And when I found out BMW was switching to the DVD-based navi this year and the aux plug in, I was thrilled and ordred my car that very day.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Perfectionist

Being a Tool and Die Maker Designer I would have to call myself a perfectionist.If you don't design and build something that is perfect you can't stay in that line of work very long.Second best is not good enough.Everybody wants good product from the manufacture encluding the automobile industry I have done work for Ford,GMC.Chryler and VW,they all keep a close eye on you for good quality.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Alan F said:

Josh you DOG ;) I gotta admit though, you are witty
All in good fun Alan, you know that will be one of the top 3 things you check during delivery inspection. :thumbup:

By the way, maybe you can post something about your decision in the "why get a 4 door thread" I haven't seen that at the top of the list in a day or two :angel: :bigpimp:

G

·
Josh (PA) said:

All in good fun Alan, you know that will be one of the top 3 things you check during delivery inspection. :thumbup:

By the way, maybe you can post something about your decision in the "why get a 4 door thread" I haven't seen that at the top of the list in a day or two :angel: :bigpimp:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

How dare you suggest reviving THAT thread? My god, have you no decency?

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Josh (PA) said:

Due to popular demand . . .I will go and revive that thread :thumbup:

Hey Tom :flipoff: ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts