BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm new here and this is my first BMW so I got tons of questions, but let me start with just a few. :D

My 1995 325i Convertible top motor doesnt work, so I've seen googling and searching all over the net for a motor for my convertible top, but to my surprise, there doesn't seem to be any ? Its hard to believe coz from my research, i know that there are tons of people who has the same problem with their convertible top.

1. So my first question is: Where can i get a used or new convertible top motor ?
Yes, I just need the motor.

2. Am I googling the the correct key word ? " 1995 bmw Convertible top motor "

3. What are the average price or used & new ?

....also (4) the driver seat doesn't recline anymore, where can i get a motor for that ?

------------------

Thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
how did you resolve convertible top motor issue?

I'm having a similar problem with my z3. What was the solution to the power top issue? And was it expensive?

·
BE IRIE
885 Posts
Wow, that's steep price. The downside to having a convertible I guess.

I know you probably don't want to but can you just put the top up/down manually?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No. The tonneau cover will not lock. Should you manage to get the tonneau cover to lock(by unfortunate luck as I will explain) you will have to pull the Emergency Release Handle under the rear seat to disengage BOTH motors and return the top to the closed position. Additionally, if you try to rig the tonneau cover closed (extremely ill advised) then you will not be able to use your trunk as the trunk lock actuator remains disengaged with the tonneau cover unlocked as they BOTH can not be open at the same time without causing damage (unless you remove Fuse #7 - that will allow trunk to open with tonneau cover unlocked (necessary(carefully) when trying to resync the top and tonneau covers after pulling the emergency handle)). I have a 94 e36 ic as my handle implies and have had various issues with the top requiring my need for this very knowledge I just shared with you. Convertibles are fun until they break!! (Huge understatement)

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,754 Posts
Convertibles are fun until they break!! (Huge understatement)
And I get the strong impression it's WHEN they break, not IF.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Manual Top Operation

It is fairly easy to convert to manual top operation. You just wire the boot motor to operate independently and disconnect the top motor. I tapped off the battery in the trunk, ran a wire to the boot motor electrical connections and then to center consol where I installed a momentary toggle 2 way switch. I can now raise and lower and lock the boot using this switch and raise and lower the top manually which is quite easy to do. Probably could work out the top operation as all motors are good, but just didn't want yet to take the time to fool with all the micro switches etc that will probably get out of wack soon enought. Been over a year now of trouble free MANUAL / elctrical operation

Cheap Trick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey John K. I still stand by my post without rewiring and adding switches which sounds a little more involved than "fairly easy." That being said I would love it if you could post your semi automatic to maual conversion process in step by step format with pictures, preferably, if you can manage the time. Next time the micro switches go crazy in my 94 325ic again (just replaced S4 again!) it would be nice to have a back-up. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Manual Conversion

Ok E36 in next day or two I should have time two take a couple pictures. It really is not all that difficult as all you are doing is wiring up a simple circuit and every thing is pretty easy to get at. I am not too good at visualizing so I draw up the circuit first an then follow the drawing to run the wires as need be and the structure allows. Making a drawing sets it in your mind what needs to be done and if you are not familiar with electrical circuits it's a good learning aid.

Cheap Trick

·
Registered
640 Posts
Pics etc

Ok here are some pictures which should help. Main thing is the wiring diagrame. You need a double pole/throw momentary switch as you want to have the cover moter go up and down = that means you run the motor one way and the other. You can get such a switch at any big box store like Menards or any hardware store, radio shack etc. There are 6 conections as my drawing shows. Usually these are bayonet conections. You will disconnect the conector to the cover moter and will simply use a bullet type end on the two final wires from the switch to plug into the open holes for the red and black wires.just make a new circuit off the battery terminals 14 gauge or so and put in a fuse, I used15 amp which is probably more than needed. Run the wires as shown to the drivers side and then through the rear bulkhead. I put the switch in he rear part of the council as it was protected bt the armrest but easy to reach when lifting the back of the top so that the cover could raise and lower as needed. You can fabricate a switch bracket from any handy light weight strip of metal - allways keep such stuff around ! There are a lot of posts etc. that shows how to take out the center council etc. The rear srat just pulls up and you can run the wires uder the floor mat to the council. You can splice the wires under the council using two to one connectors and then you have just one red 1 and one black 1 wire to run back to the motor connection. It's a bit of fiddling but gives you a good way to avoid all the other top issues and still have a secure locked down top cover.

Use your imagination and have fun with the challenges. Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheap Trick

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts