BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi crew, I'm the new guy!
I've been lurking here for a couple of months, been thinking of buying an E30 for a lot of months, finally did the deal today. I'll pick it up tomorrow night.

I was looking on Craigslist and bought a 1991 325i (simple, nothin' fancy) 2-door with 138,000 miles on it for $1200. Solid car, paint isn't great but not horrible Oh yeah, automatic. Oh well...

I'm going to need to repair or replace the driver's seat. When I sat down, my right shoulder is lower / farther toward the rear seat than the left one. I think there's a weld in the seat frame that may be broken.

Looking now on Craigslist for some replacement seats. Other than an E30, what other BMW would have similar sized seats that would bolt in without having to dink around forever with the rails? If this has been discussed MILLIONS of times here, I apologize in advance.

Your help is appreciated and I'll try to be helpful in return whenever I can be. Thanks again.

JAY a.k.a. PapaYams
:beerchug:

·
1st Cav!
2,758 Posts
Sorry I can't be of any help because I'm not too familiar with E30 parts, but congrats on the car!!!! Older bimmers are really a great tribute to the masterful automotive creations of BMW.
any chance of pics =P

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
Congrats. I hope to be following you soon with an E30 of my own.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Hi crew, I'm the new guy!
I've been lurking here for a couple of months, been thinking of buying an E30 for a lot of months, finally did the deal today. I'll pick it up tomorrow night.

I was looking on Craigslist and bought a 1991 325i (simple, nothin' fancy) 2-door with 138,000 miles on it for $1200. Solid car, paint isn't great but not horrible Oh yeah, automatic. Oh well...

I'm going to need to repair or replace the driver's seat. When I sat down, my right shoulder is lower / farther toward the rear seat than the left one. I think there's a weld in the seat frame that may be broken.

Looking now on Craigslist for some replacement seats. Other than an E30, what other BMW would have similar sized seats that would bolt in without having to dink around forever with the rails? If this has been discussed MILLIONS of times here, I apologize in advance.

Your help is appreciated and I'll try to be helpful in return whenever I can be. Thanks again.

JAY a.k.a. PapaYams
:beerchug:
Hey, I just bought an 89 325i on Craigslist! My first e30 as well, and I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :) 155K miles, needs paint/body work, for $1000.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats on the car. I just bought my first e30 last week here in Germany. Paint and body are good, interior is decent but it only has 170k km which is just over 100k miles. The best part is I bought it for $500. All I need is to get rid of the top end tapping and she will be good to go. I want to see some pics of yours as soon as you pick it up!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Congrats on the purchase Papa! I also bought my first e30 recently and really enjoy it.

You may not have a broken weld on your seats. Remove the rear panel (two phillips screws on the bottom, pull tension brackets at the top), and look at where the seat back connects to the adjustment hinge on the base. There's a fat stubby bolt on each side that keeps them together, and both of mine had fallen out on the drivers seat.

·
bratmeister
134 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. No doubt you'll love it.

As for your seat, it may have a broken frame in the seat base. It's about a four job to disassemble and reassemble the seat assembly (including removal and reinstallation of the vinyl/leather skins and foam cushions). Broken frames can be welded and will be good as new. Here is a link that will help you through the process. I'm in the process of repairing a second seat using this procedure right now. There are some differences between the sport and non sport seats but the procedure described works for both. Good luck.

·
Metric Mechanic
1,018 Posts
For all new E30 nubs

Change the oil and filter also make sure the lugs are torqued down to proper specs (it will cause ovaling in the wheel holes if they are loose) timing belt is a must, as said by a fellow member. While you are there replace the AC and aultinator belts (fraying, cracks, chips, oil key signs to replace) on the latter fix the oil leak.

Also when the car is at normal temp and the revs jump you may have a few air or gas hoses to check under the hood (rubbing and cracks, change them) also the throttle body builds up carbon in it that also can be removed and cleaned out.

the idle control on top of the throttle body could be faulty (check hose clamps and for cracks and rubbing) if not change it for a new or good one, looks like a silver eclair doughnut :thumbup:

E30 325 4DR, Mods: Short throw shifter, custom shifter and e-brake boots(made from my 325e leather RIP baby) Cold air intake, pioneer deck, two 12" autobahn subs matted with a 350 watt kenwood amp bridged at 1 ohm (hifonics brutus 2500 will replace) infinity reference speakers(6 3/4) in the back AND the FRONT!!!!, OEM BMW front spoiler till I get my kit in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts