BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the extended maintenance last year for my 330i from 3/36 to 4/50 thinking I would get a full inspection, but all I got yesterday was an oil change :cry: I guess I shoud've checked. To date I have done all my own oil changes every 5K miles for $40. Now rethinking the 4/50-6/100K.... Maybe i'll still get suckered into it.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
The service indicator is based on how many liters of fuel the car has used (2002 and newer, it used a weird formula for 2000, can't remember if the switch was with MY 2001 or MY 2002), but for most people the intervals work out pretty close to 15k each (15k Oil Service, 30k Inspection 1, 45k Oil Service, 60k Inspection II, repeat). Drive it hard enough and you can get to Inspection II in less than 50k. OTOH, the extension could well cover an additional set of brakes which will probably about pay for itself if you would otherwise have paid the dealer to do it. Shocks and struts too...the OEM Boge units *should* be replaced on most E46s about every 20k, but BMW's specs are wide enough that it can be tough getting them to do it if they aren't visibly leaking/blown.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
·clyde· said:
Shocks and struts too...the OEM Boge units *should* be replaced on most E46s about every 20k, but BMW's specs are wide enough that it can be tough getting them to do it if they aren't visibly leaking/blown.
Are you saying that shocks are "warrantable" as part of the extended maintenance plan? If you have documentation to this effect, please let me know as I'm at 70K with my original shocks :wow: and I think they are pretty much done... (Probably have been for some time...)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Salvator said:
Are you saying that shocks are "warrantable" as part of the extended maintenance plan? If you have documentation to this effect, please let me know as I'm at 70K with my original shocks :wow: and I think they are pretty much done... (Probably have been for some time...)
Shocks aren't a maintenance nor warranty item.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
·clyde· said:
Shocks and struts too...the OEM Boge units *should* be replaced on most E46s about every 20k, but BMW's specs are wide enough that it can be tough getting them to do it if they aren't visibly leaking/blown.
Wow-- I didn't know that the expected life was that short. How do you know that? WHat's a good way to know if my shocks should be replaced?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Kaz said:
They aren't a warranty item, but they are a wear item...and should be covered under the maintenance program if they fall out of spec during the term. I don't recall seeing them listed as an exclusion. The problem is that the specs for the shocks are such that they can be damn near completely dead and still be within the acceptable range.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
robg said:
Wow-- I didn't know that the expected life was that short. How do you know that? WHat's a good way to know if my shocks should be replaced?
If they aren't doing a good job any more. In driving a bunch of E46s at different mileage points, they all feel floaty when there's over 20k miles on the clock comapred to when those with fewer miles. You can see it from the outside if you watch a bunch of them whip around autocross courses in extra body motions as they dhange direction (particularly in slaloms) and go over undulations in the surafce. They may still pass the old time test where you push down on a corner and if it takes more than one bounce it needs to be replaced/revalved, but pretty much any shock on any car that fails that test is in really, really bad shape.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
·clyde· said:
...the OEM Boge units *should* be replaced on most E46s about every 20k
Don't say that like it's a fact, because it's just your opinion (although I often respect your opinion, this is one that we disagree on because I have seen no proof and it goes against what I've learned from other cars).

:soapbox: :p

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
PhilH said:
Don't say that like it's a fact, because it's just your opinion (although I often respect your opinion, this is one that we disagree on because I have seen no proof and it goes against what I've learned from other cars).

:soapbox: :p
Believe what you want...whatever makes you feel better. ;)

pull the shocks off of 10 random E46s at the VPC and dyno them. Dyno them again at 20,000 miles. If the plots are the same (or even close to the same) on 6 of them, I'll eat my hat. Really, I will. I've done it before. :eek:

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
Kaz said:
Sure, they're under the New Car Warranty if you can convince the dealer that they need replacing.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
·clyde· said:
They aren't a warranty item, but they are a wear item...
Wrong... they ARE a warranty item.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
·clyde· said:
If they break or if they wear out?
I've seen worn shocks replaced under the new car warranty.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Jay Morris of Ground Control put a set of E46 M3 shocks on a shock dyno new and at 10K miles. Fully HALF of the dampening was GONE in 10K.

At least in the E46 M3 BMW wnet with the highest dampening of any BMW prior, but went with a low end shock that won't last.

Shocks that leak or break should be covered under new car warranty (manufacturer's defect). Shocks that wear out should be replaced as a Maintenance item if so covered.

Not sure how you would convince a dealer, regional rep or BMW NA that the shocks are in need of replacement though.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
Salvator said:
New car warranty only... not CPO, right? :dunno:
Correct.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts