Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I started my car in -5°F temperature, and drove approximately 5 miles to a gas station. There I saw a large amount of oil and smoke, which I later learned to be 1 qt according to my dipstick, had covered the right front side of my engine. In the vicinity of this unit at the right front corner of the valve cover. Now today at 25°, with everything cleaned up, I cannot duplicate the problem.
Valve cover and gasket were replaced 4 weeks ago. It won’t leak at all now. Had anyone experienced this before?
IMG_9425.jpg

‘02 BMW 530i MSport
Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
150 Posts
Up here in Minnesota my son and I have seen this on our 530's. Closest we can figure is that during startup on a cold winter morning, the oil is thick and the pressure high and it is pushed past the cam position sensor O-ring on the exhaust side. Using your pic, just out of picture on the right side below the valve cover is where we see the oil spray. Then it drips on hoses and other hot stuff causing smoke.
Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is also possible that your CCV was (partially) frozen and engine oil was getting pushed into the intake manifold. Not sure what else could have caused that.
Was the smoke coming from both the exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold under the hood?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If you have oil in the exhaust pipe you are in big trouble, the ccv can freeze and send the oil through the catalytic converter, your red engine light will come on, shut down the car immediately and be prepared for a gigantic bill!
I guess this did not happen to you, just saying it happened to my e46.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Up here in Minnesota my son and I have seen this on our 530's. Closest we can figure is that during startup on a cold winter morning, the oil is thick and the pressure high and it is pushed past the cam position sensor O-ring on the exhaust side. Using your pic, just out of picture on the right side below the valve cover is where we see the oil spray. Then it drips on hoses and other hot stuff causing smoke.
Jeff

This sounds like the most plausible scenario.. is there any prevention for this (other than starting it up up in -5F temps).. anything I should replace? I have cleaned the area and driven it quite a bit by now, and absolutely nit a drip is coming out of the engine!!

‘02 BMW 530i MSport

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m thinking about installing a heating pad on the engine for cold weather ops so the oil will be warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
26 Posts
A similar thing happened to me this last week. Bitter cold day and she started smoking like crazy. I’m in the middle of changing out the ccv and valve cover gasket now. They were never done so I was playing with fire anyways. My suspicion is that the ccv froze and over pressurized the valve cover and blew out the gasket. I had a leak in the back corner by the firewall. It was running down onto the block and exhaust. 57081276468__F19189EF-E156-47E4-ABAD-220C08E3C795.jpg IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0712.jpg IMG_0713.jpg

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
For M54 engine, do the "BavarianE39 CCV Mod" with Duralast PCV Valve and move on.

All the problems relating oil consumption, leaking oil should be gone.

It is posted in the Xoutpost forum.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I forgot to mention that both of our 530's are running with the ccv deleted.
So that rules out frozen CCV Etc.
Perhaps a new o ring on the CPS would help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A similar thing happened to me this last week. Bitter cold day and she started smoking like crazy. I’m in the middle of changing out the ccv and valve cover gasket now. They were never done so I was playing with fire anyways. My suspicion is that the ccv froze and over pressurized the valve cover and blew out the gasket. I had a leak in the back corner by the firewall. It was running down onto the block and exhaust. View attachment 838677 View attachment 838679 View attachment 838681 View attachment 838683

I think you have probably correctly diagnosed your failure.. I was hoping to prevent having these kind of oil leak issues, by replacing all the components of the CCV last spring and the valve cover and gasket this last fall (it already had a small leak)

‘02 BMW 530i MSport

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Time will tell. How about you Johnp, have you diagnosed your leak?

Since the initial leak, the temps have increased and there is absolutely no leak.. I cannot duplicate the failure. I will replace the 17x3 o-ring on the cam position sensor Bank B exhaust.. that is the most likely cause of the oil leak.. cold oil passed by an old o-ring that was no longer flexible due to age.

‘02 BMW 530i MSport

1 - 12 of 12 Posts