BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2008 328i with 83k miles to the dealership to fix the instrument cluster after i replaced the battery and i told them to fix anything else that was wrong with it. They replaced the brake wear sensors (as i had already replaced the brake pads myself) and said there was nothing else wrong.
There were no service lights on when i left.
After getting about 30 miles away i had it on cruise control at 80 mph and i can recall seeing that i was getting 30 mpg at the time. Then the car suddenly jerked and cruise control turned off and it won't work now. Also, the Brake light, service engine, traction control, and an exclamation mark with parenthesis around it came on.
After this happened, the car is very sluggish when i hit the gas and i get 20 mpg at 80 mph, as opposed to 30 mpg.

I know that i need to take it back to the dealership immediately, but first I would like to know what is wrong with it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drove my car today and when I started it up, all the problems were gone. But right around 30 miles away, it began acting up again.

Now that i think about it, i recently put 19" rims, as opposed to the 18" factory rims, and was wondering if that could be throwing it off.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is hard to diagnose, it could be anything.
It could be fuel supply related, engine management related, etc.
Take it back to the dealership and hopefully demonstrate the problem with the SA in the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your car went into what they call a "limp" mode. This occurs when the vehicle computer recognizes a problem in its logic.

In your case, the brake wear sensors. It could either be faulty or has some intermittent issues.

I suggest going back to your dealership and have them diagnose or replace. Your wheels being bigger does not affect anything but your mileage readings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Brake wear sensors will not cause limp mode.

This sounds more like an electrical (alternator, grounds, etc) or fuel issue (injectors, fuel pump, coil packs, etc).

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Took my 2008 328i with 83k miles to the dealership to fix the instrument cluster after i replaced the battery and i told them to fix anything else that was wrong with it. They replaced the brake wear sensors (as i had already replaced the brake pads myself) and said there was nothing else wrong.
There were no service lights on when i left.
After getting about 30 miles away i had it on cruise control at 80 mph and i can recall seeing that i was getting 30 mpg at the time. Then the car suddenly jerked and cruise control turned off and it won't work now. Also, the Brake light, service engine, traction control, and an exclamation mark with parenthesis around it came on.
After this happened, the car is very sluggish when i hit the gas and i get 20 mpg at 80 mph, as opposed to 30 mpg.

I know that i need to take it back to the dealership immediately, but first I would like to know what is wrong with it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
Right away we see a major issue: No Codes Given

To read 'em you need THIS or THAT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts