BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
.. Hendrick BMW in Charlotte. I was quoted $149 and they told me they did it by spec w/the weights in the car. I've noticed both of my relatively new front tires are feathering/cupping on the outside shoulder pretty quickly. Other than that, everything was perfect. No wheel vibration, no pulling and it tracked super straight down the road.

So anyway, an hour later, my car is done and my advisor hands me the alignment sheet. (That's a sweet profit when you can do a $149 alignment in under an hours worth of shop time w/no parts used). I ask her why the left front camber is out of spec, the same 0.0 deg. as when I brought it in (specs are <1.1 -0,1) . She can't explain so she calls the technician. Also, the left caster setting in not within after the alignment; 6.0 deg. where spec range is 6.2-7.2 deg. Everything else on the car is now within spec.

What he told me was the 540s front camber or caster can't be adjusted...<???> There's an adjustment that allows .01 deg. in either direction but nothing else, that's just the design of the suspension. I just wanted to ask someone w/a little more experience if this is the case or do these guys not know what they're doing?? :dunno:

Also, when I got home and looked at the sheet closer... The alignment data sheet lists the specs for a 4 cylinder/6 cylinder sedan w/Sport Suspension (with lowered ride height). My car is NONE of those!!!! :tsk: It's a V8 540 w/stock , non sport, OE suspension :)

Question #2. Did these guys use the correct alignment specs for my car. Are there specific alignment specs for the 540 or do all the E39s have the same specs, regardless of suspension setup... (<----hard to believe)

Thanks-

·
Registered
100 Posts
Spinout said:
What he told me was the 540s front camber or caster can't be adjusted
Hey, how are you? I've actually heard the same thing. I have my alignment done every month (they call me the alignment nut), ha. Now, just because I've heard the same thing doesn't make it true. I'm sure some other guys will post. Good luck. Stay cool.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
Just verified with my indy shop and they agreed that the camber/castor on the front suspension is NOT adjustable, however, it can be bent. The alignment on the front suspension is usually the toe in/out settings that are adjusted. The rears are completely adjustable camber/castor toe in/out. :thumbup: The reason your front might be out of spec could be due to wear and tear of the arms :dunno:

My indy shop sub-lets the alignment out and charges $60 total for the front and rear align. Sweet deal, I need to muster up enough money for my suspension work. Replacing the front control arms ($300 and up in parts) and new sway bar ($400~ labor $200 part). I also have a set of tires ($500) I need to throw on the car ($100 labor), sets me back $1500 :yikes: .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts