BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not a bashing post ... I own and love my Nissans.

HOWEVER

I'm a humored by the full scale denial and the baseless hype at BMW's expense.

The 335 didn't need to be justified by any other car except for it's self. Yet the G37 needs the press of "beating" the 335 to stand. This brings a load of ill-logical parallels that don't exist.

With BMW dropping the ball a bit :D on the fuel pump and cooling (which really hasn't affected that many, yet it's made a issue now), the only argument is that BMW has poor reliability and cost more.

I just saw a something that's really funny ---

http://www.autospies.com/video/Has-AutoSpies-com-finally-proved-Infiniti-has-beaten-BMW-261/

So being unrefined is now "raw". GM should have used that years ago. :D

This lame excuse for not matching / beating the "sublime"(as some say, good word for me also) experience of a BMW is weak at best. It doesn't say that the G37 is bad, just that the 335/328 is better.

I'm glad that Inifiniti has improved the Gc, but spare the we beat the king stuff.

There are so many details(maybe too many) that go into each BMW that make it what it is, that to try and equate things down to a 0-60 time or price ... is a joke. I guess it should be expected, the greatest day in the life of an Inifiniti follower is to say we "beat" BMW verses a BMW owner's greatest day is driving the BMW.

This is a mild rant, I don't need to put down Infiniti to love my car!!

Thoughts ...?

·
Registered
8 Posts
a bimmer is.... the ultimate driving machine

:thumbup::thumbup:I am the very proud owner of my 3rd bmw. I got the 335i a month ago loaded. I also have a 525i and just bought my 330ci lease back. I ask you whats not to love? It's not that I have"nt owned other cars. Lets see, Lexus,audi,infiniti,acura,ford,chevy. Notice I only tried those, never bought another.The bmw's just glide.The 335 is a beast. Who needs all the bells and whistles inside. That one little logo on the hood says it all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first BMW, I was "waiting" for the new G to come out. Once I sat in it I was not impressed. BMW is next door, so I go drive. :)

Fell in love and got one.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Newsflash: BMW is not the ultimate driving machine.

This does not mean I've stopped loving my bimmers, just that I've driven cars that are better driver tools. :dunno:

·
"...tear down this wall."
517 Posts
Yeah, I think any car that tags itself "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is going to bring out some competition. It's not secret that the G35's target (as well as the Lexus IS350) is the BMW 3 series. Should be flattering, no?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The new G35 sedans have a much more refined engine than the previous generation. By "raw" they mean that it has an aggressive edge to it. Mostly due to that distinctive exhaust note. I owned a first Gen G35 and the new sedan is 1000x better in all ways. The G37 builds off of that. The biggest deal is the refining of the manual transmission (no more vibration SUPPOSEDLY in the G37. the 2008 sedan may get that same upgrade.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
I drove my buddy's E36 M3 yesterday and I was reminded yet again that today's BMW's are soft. They don't have the edge they used to have. Call it "refinement" or whatever you will, but there is something missing from the latest generation of cars. Yes, the current gen is far more comfortable than the previous generations, but the steering and throttle just aren't as sharp as they used to be.

I haven't driven a G37, but I wouldn't be too surprised to find that it does offer more of this feeling than the 335i does - even if it is slower and objectively inferior (though clearly not by much).

I'm actually quite pleased that that some of the Japanese makes finally stopped trying to win the battle with a superior feature-per-dollar ratio and started to attack the 3 series where it has until now had a very clear advantage. The greatest winners in this will be those of us actually buying the cars.

Newsflash: BMW is not the ultimate driving machine.

This does not mean I've stopped loving my bimmers, just that I've driven cars that are better driver tools. :dunno:
+1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry guys, Nissan's are great, so are Acura's and Lexus and Honda's.... But to me BMW is what everyone is aspiring to be... Car to beat.... Sorry, I am biased.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was biased towards Nissan. So I'm pretty objective.

When people buy a lux sport coupe they expect refinement, with the sweet exhaust note.

For me, BMW blends all attributes better than 99% of the cars on the road.

If someone wants a "raw" gritty car, then the M's add that, yet they fully execute the plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me, BMW blends all attributes better than 99% of the cars on the road.
Well said - after 8 previous Nissan products since '95, it's the reason my 1st gen G35 wasn't replaced with the 2007 version when the lease was up. The new G35 is a fine car, but the 335 just does it better - no VQ35 harshness above 4500, better planted in the twisties, better brake feel.

335 also does better residual value, as the lease payments weren't even all that different, - interesting, considering the 335 stickered for $8K more

The only thing the 335 didn't do better was the 6MT (nice short throws on the G, the BMW MT was a long throw and rubbery, and don't even get me started on the nimrod who designed that CDV), but I opted for an auto this time around, and the G is lacking a 6th gear.

It's not that I don't like Nissans, I do (and still have one), I just like the BMW better

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well said - after 8 previous Nissan products since '95, it's the reason my 1st gen G35 wasn't replaced with the 2007 version when the lease was up. The new G35 is a fine car, but the 335 just does it better - no VQ35 harshness above 4500, better planted in the twisties, better brake feel.

335 also does better residual value, as the lease payments weren't even all that different, - interesting, considering the 335 stickered for $8K more

The only thing the 335 didn't do better was the 6MT (nice short throws on the G, the BMW MT was a long throw and rubbery, and don't even get me started on the nimrod who designed that CDV), but I opted for an auto this time around, and the G is lacking a 6th gear.

It's not that I don't like Nissans, I do (and still have one), I just like the BMW better
:) I was hoping the G35/G37 would be refined. I think they have come a long way since thier fall from glory in 1997.

I love the auto in my 335 coup, it knows when to shift most of the time. The paddles make it fun also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nissan deserves credit for making a decent coupe that comes with a MT. In the absence of a 3, one would seriously considering buying a G. But a 3 exists. The G lacks the exterior styling and presence of a 3. It also offers a very unflattering interior; clumsy steering wheel and nissan-derived buttons/knobs. It takes no more than one acceleration into a sharp curve to be sold on a 335i.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts