BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a 1985 318i coupe. i got into an accident on mothers day weekend... long story short, the car is totaled (so i just signed it off to the junk yard to keep.) i lost traction because the road was really wet (sprinkler system was going on in the shopping center i was driving into) and i spun out and drove right into a curb, which made my car pop up and then i hit the stone edifice of a center divider, which in result caused my car to flip over in mid air. i landed upside down... pretty fun...

there was major front end damage where i got hit. basically, the entire drivers side kick panel got smashed in. although it didnt hold up pretty well, i will tell you that the core structure of the car is sound.

i was in a roll over accident and the top portion of the body held up very well. and im somewhat glad they didnt have airbags in the 85's because being in that roll over, i wouldve been smashed and trapped more so than i was if an airbag deployed (i was however trapped in the car for over half an hour because my foot got stuck behind the clutch pedal and the smashed in kick panel.) luckily the fire dept came... took about 45 minutes before i came out of the car. the pics below of the car rolled over are when i was still trapped inside...

surprisingly, me and the two other people in the car came out without a scratch or cut... no bleeding or even a bruise or sore muscle... we were lucky...

here, let me just post pics so you can get an idea....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you can see in the sixth picture of how much the drivers side kick panel got smashed in...

and you can even see where the clutch pedal had to be cut off with a saw. my foot was trapped between the smashed in kick panel and clutch pedal. the fire dept told me that had the kick panel been smashed in half an inch more, my foot couldve been severed.

·
Bored
3,617 Posts
you can see in the sixth picture of how much the drivers side kick panel got smashed in...

and you can even see that the clutch pedal was cut off. my foot was trapped between the smashed in kick panel and clutch pedal. the fire dept told me that had the kick panel been smashed in half an inch more, my foot couldve been severed.
OUCH! Glad you're okay! Looks like that E30 held up quite nicely!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
out of all the role over e30 accidents ive seen the roof does a pretty good job of not completely crushing in.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all of your guys' concern.

and ya, top of the car held up pretty well...

if anyone, or anyone you know is selling a 1988-1991 e30 (preferably a 325i or is) please let me know. i live in San Jose, CA so if anyone is selling an 88-91 e30 in the bay area let me know. i want an e30 bad!

·
Registered
9 Posts
In January at about 9:30, i also had the unfortunate event of rolling my '90 325i. I was on a back road dicking off going about 85-90 and i caught air on a little bunny hill and had to swerve a pole, lost control and slid about 50 ft into a road sign and ended up stopping on the side. The slide owned most of my front suspension and steering components and the sign owned my fender, hood, bumper and windshield. Luckily, my uncle is a body mechanic and he got me running again for just under 3 grand. Luckily I came out of it without a scratch and i still have my baby!

Attachments

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
im gunna cry, thats like the third one ive seen this week that was in a rollover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts