BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving around today, I passed by one of your shadier used car dealerships and something caught my eye. I am going to check the VIN and do some research, but at first glance it appears to be in pretty good shape. Only has 85k miles. Kelly BB lists it ~$2000 for an '83 320i. Anybody have any comments or opinions about the e21 3ers?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
2 words...woefully underpowered. The car is a dog at the track. Would make a nice daily driver, but a track car it is not. I have a friend that has one and he dropped an S14 into it.

I think $3k or even 2k for a 320i is very high. FOr that price or more you can get an E30 325i or 325is. If I were you I would look for a 90 or 91 E30 with a 2.5L in it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Chris, I was given a brand new E21 as a bonus. The happiest day I had with the car was the day it was stolen!!! Well, maybe that was the second happiest day. The day I got the Insurance check was the happiest:)

Be very careful

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DougDogs said:
Chris, I was given a brand new E21 as a bonus. The happiest day I had with the car was the day it was stolen!!! Well, maybe that was the second happiest day. The day I got the Insurance check was the happiest:)

Be very careful
:yikes: :lmao: Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll focus on an e30 instead. One of my instructors has a Euro spec e21, but it has been heavily modded. I guess I had that in mind when I saw this one...

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,706 Posts
I have a friend who bought an E21 for $500 and *drove* it home from NY. (21 hours.) To be fair, it was a rustbucket.

He then bought a second in Texas for $50 and towed it home.

Three weeks later, he had transformed the running parts into the Tx car and had a pretty nice E21 track car. Changed the fuel injection to Weber 40's and he's got a hit lil motor.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Chris330Ci said:
:yikes: :lmao: Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll focus on an e30 instead. One of my instructors has a Euro spec e21, but it has been heavily modded. I guess I had that in mind when I saw this one...
If the car number is any indication, he probably has a 323 (6 cylinder). The US 320 is actually a 1.8L 4 banger. I don't recall the hp of the 323.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bruce said:

If the car number is any indication, he probably has a 323 (6 cylinder). The US 320 is actually a 1.8L 4 banger. I don't recall the hp of the 323.
Actually yes, it is a 323. I believe he just had some major engine work done by Korman although not sure what. I do know there's a Dinan chip, CAI, and exhaust hiding underneath that shell. It sounds pretty mean when he starts her up... :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts