BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Delta (Honda 4.5hp engine)2300 PSI Pressure Washer..I bought it for my annual driveway cleaning and prepping our exterior for painting this summer, however I was thinking this thing might be okay for the rims? Anyone tried a pressure washer on rims? I'm aware of concerns with pressure washers...other than "pressure" and how close you use it..any other concerns or opinions?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This is probably more than I should admit to (OCD reference) but, yes, I use my pressure washer sometimes. Mine has a siphon hose to pick up cleaner and mix it with the water.

First, I pressure wash from the inside outwards. I mean that I get the whole inside clean from under the front and rear of the car.

Second, I roll the car back about 15 inches and do from the inside again. (to clean what was the topside of the rim)

Third, I clean the rims from the outside (visable side) spraying in towards the center of the car.

I use a mix of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent and water siphoned into the power washer, but, my washer is only good for about 1500 psi

I only do this when the inside of the rims are dirty enough to bother me:D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For what it's worth... I've tried using other cleaning mixtures.

simple green did not really touch the brake dust.
I tried a Dawn mixture, but that really made a big mess (bubbles everywhere, kinda like Lawrence Welk:lmao: )

Arm and hammer has worked good, but there must be something better.

I'm open to other ideas....:)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DougDogs said:
For waht it's worth... I've tried using other cleaning mixtures.

simple green did not really touch the brake dust.
I tried a Dawn mixture, but that really made a big mess (bubbles everywhere, kinda like Lawrence Welk:lmao: )

Arm and hammer has worked good, but ther must be something better.

I'm open to other ideas....:)
ROTFLOL on visualizing the Dawn mixture!

I'm going to experiment next time my wheels get real dirty, with Griots Wheel cleaner as the additive (Low pressure) and then hit it with high pressure to see what it does...will post the results but it may be awhile, wheels are very clean and I leave for vacation for two weeks beginning next Tuesday.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I use mine on the rims and to wash off the "big" dirt from the car. Works great! Mine has only 1/2 the power of yours though, and I keep it a foot and a half away from the car as it is.

On wheels I'd say it would be fine though!

·
5,820 Posts
I've used it without problem many times. Also use to clean fenderwells and underside. Just use common sense in how close you hold the washer, the width of the spray and the speed of the engine. Always start further away and move in as needed. Probably removes wax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts