BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong the Volvo is a nice car, but it's no BMW. The only reason why i didn't get another BMW was price. For the price i paid for the Volvo ($29.9), the only BMW i could have gotten was a 3-4 year old 3 series with just about no warranty.

Regrets? Not really. I love the speed of a 247-hp engine along with a very kick ass stereo system. Oh well, i tend to turn over my cars after 6-7 months (uggh), so who knows what'll happen then.

Why am i posting? I dunno, just to hear myself talk, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
325iN2it said:
Don't get me wrong the Volvo is a nice car, but it's no BMW. The only reason why i didn't get another BMW was price. For the price i paid for the Volvo ($29.9), the only BMW i could have gotten was a 3-4 year old 3 series with just about no warranty.
dont know about pricing etc now, but i bought my new 325i for less than 30. well i guess after taxes etc everything it was just over 30....

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I know the feeling (read the I'm "Bimmerless" thread I initiated in the OT forum)...

I've had an X-Type for less than a day now and already miss my 325i, badly... :bawling:

BMW ROCKS!!! Seriously, there's (virtually) no substitute! :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
325iN-

Just curious- why do you turn over your cars every 6 months? Some sort of sweet company car deal? I guess you were able to get a really good deal on that Volvo-- it sounds like you got the s60 T5-- which i think stickers in the mid 30's right? I got my 325i (albeit via eurodelivery) for 28,900-- but you can certainly get 325s under 30k w/o doing that.

I love the s60s interior-- wish my BMW was as nice-- very nicely laid out, amazingly comfortable seats, cool "space ball" manual shifter, nice materials. I used to drive a old 87 Volvo 740 for a long time-- so i definitely have a soft spot for them. I still sometimes even miss that old car even compared to my 325-- it never once had anything go wrong, was still solid after 150k, was still even more comfortable than my 325, etc. But, of course, i'm much happier w/ the performance and fun to drive aspects of my car. It'd be nice if Volvo went back to RWD.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Volvo used to be good, but in the past several years it has had horrible reliability. If you go over to www.volvospy.com all you hear are complaints and problems... SEveral of our neighbors also own Volvo V70's and S80's and they are constantly taking their car to the dealership to be fixed....

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
I miss my BMW too, even though I STILL HAVE TO TAKE DELIVERY !

(Okay, who's got some spare Prozac they can give me?)

:banghead:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robg-
The reason i turn my cars over so much are for no good reasons. When i first came out to SD with the new job, i bought myself an 01 VW GTI GLX. After about 6 months i thought it was too small so i went to a 98 Audi A4 Tip. I wanted an auto cause of the traffic, but after a while i got tired of it, so then came the 01 325i back in Oct 01 (plus it helped ease the pain of turning 30 in Nov). The BMW was totalled at the end of May, so i had to get something else. And yes, it's an S60 T5 manual. A similar new one in the showroom stickered at $38,500.

CaliChris-
Yes, i hear the complaints at VolvoSpy and at SwedeSpeed. I'm not too worried about it since my car is CPO and it has the extended up to 6yr/100k warranty. It's always the vocal ones that have a lot of complaints (i'm sure for good reasons), you don't really hear too much from satisfied customers.

Overall, it's fun driving a Volvo, just different.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
325i-

So, out of all those cars was the BMW your favorite? What did you think of the VW and Audi? I love the build quality, styling and interiors of Audi/VW products-- so i'm interested in how you think they compare w/ BMW. Which one the cars you listed seems like ot was the "best built".? I'm tempted to try out cars every 6 months-- it takes all of my restraint to stop my wandering eye-- that's cool that you just "go for it".

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robg -

Nothing compares with a BMW. I test drove the new A4 1.8T (didn't want to spend $$$ on the 3.0) and wasn't too impressed. It felt small compared with the 3 series and it was definitely underpowered and under-optioned. Plus for the same price of a new A4, i got a 3k mile, one year old S60 T5.

If i had to do it all over again (ain't it always the way), i'd probably go for another 3. My Volvo is a very, very nice car, but I'm just not in love with it as much as i loved my 325. The Car and Driver long term wrap-up was dead on: very nice and capable car, just not a drivers' car. I knew that going in though.

Oh well, enough of my rambling.

·
10,856 Posts
I suggest hanging onto the Volvo for 3 years... At your rate of turnover, you'll have saved enough to get an M5. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts