Attachments

·
Get left...Go Fast
1,306 Posts
Is that Chunk ? LOL

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Maybe a 540i is different, or I'm reading my expansion tank wrong, but it appears from the little pic on the side of the tank that when the tank is full kalt, that measuring stick should be sitting a little below the lip of the cap. Mine does, and is full, as far as I can tell. So, am I an idiot, or is Alex's tank too full??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes --His is over full---it should be even with the top of the cap-not over the top.
come on make up you minds:rolleyes:

thats what the little picture at the tank shows.
it should be even.

this is why i asked the silly question

so what do i do in this case?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I just went out and took a couple pics of my expansion tank, since it had been sitting. Still quite warm, but not hot. Mine is I believe at the right capacity. Here are the pics from two angles.

Attachments

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
I just went out and took a couple pics of my expansion tank, since it had been sitting. Still quite warm, but not hot. Mine is I believe at the right capacity. Here are the pics from two angles.
Hey Wave...when you look in the tank does it look like your fluid is like 4 inches from the top where the cap is?

My fluid is way down there and my float looks like the first pics...3 inches above the top of the tank. I'm lost now.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You should not see any fluid whatsoever looking into the tank. Do others here agree?

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I asked 3 technicians at 3 different dealerships. All said the same thing when I showed them the diagram on the tank. "I know the diagram shows it should be lower. But you should fill up until it sticks all the way up!"

Strange, but true. :D

Anyway, you can't over fill it, because the excess will be let to drain out.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
IMO leaving too much fluid in is a good way to stress your expansion tank, which is apparently by design very prone to breaking.... I would remove some fluid when cold using a siphon.

But yes, it will drain out if left in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts