BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2001 325i BMW, the gentlemen that I had bought it from had just changed the oil.. It has been a week sense I bought it. It has been making a clicking sound, from what i hear its the shutters clicking.
How do I actually know? I dont want to take it to the dealer ship cause they are gonna charge me a ARM< LEG AND SOME BUTT!!!
I'm very nervous cause i have been smelling oil when I drive it. Please someone help me??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
okay, Im very new to the BMW world, so can you educated me what a PPI is :-( He had shown me a paper with an inspection and it had passed but when he took it for an oil change thats when it started the clicking sound... I just need to know what I need to do without going to a dealership. Please I need some positive feedback

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
PPI= pre purchase inspection. Pretty much the only thing most of us recommend a dealer for. Too late for that now. What you need is a post purchase inspection.

Find a good, local independent mechanic and pay him to inspect your car and list everything he thinks should be done. Basically, a PPI done after purchase. List everything he finds here so people can help you prioritize maintenance items.

Do you have maintenance records from the previous owner? That would give an idea as to the general state of things and what you may expect needs to be done in the near future.

In the mean time, find the WIKI linked at the top of the page. Read it, learn it, live it. Many of your questions will be answered there.

Welcome to BMW ownership. Hope you brought your checkbook with you...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jonathan, thanks for the reply... My mother said I shouldn't had bought it but obviously its to late. I'm taking your advice and running with it. But for the mean time, what can I do about the oil smell and possibly the leak?

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
Troubleshooting without more info is sketchy at best, but...
A common cause for smelling oil in the cabin is a leaking valve cover gasket. Usually, the leak can be found on the back, passenger side of the engine. The leaking oil drips onto the manifold and the fumes get drawn into the heating ducts. Look back there with a good flashlight, or feel with your hand. If there's oil back there, that's your culprit. Use the Search function to find lots of threads about it.
Fortunately, a leaking valve cover gasket is easy to replace with just some basic tools. If you don't turn your own wrenches, now would be a good time to learn. Could save you a bundle.
The bad news is a blown VCG can be caused by a bad CCV(search) which is a whole other brand of headache.
Also, take your car to a place like autozone where they will scan it for fault codes for free. If you get any codes, post them here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jonathan for some great ideas for me to look into tomorrow.. I will definitely take it down to AutoZone first to see whats up and go from there!!! Im worried cause this is my first BMW, I know how to work on Asian cars but not Euro's!!! IM HOPING ITS NOTHING TO MAJOR. I GONNA PRAY HARD TONIGHT

·
Cogito Ergo Zoom
3,579 Posts
Not any different than a jap car to work on except for some things. Is it just low on oil?
E46's can actually be easier to work on than a lot of other cars. Most things are laid out quite sensibly, and are often pretty easy to access, and with the help of this forum, not too hard to troubleshoot.
Invest in a Bentley manual, it's worth every penny and is sort of the bible when repair procedure questions come up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here is a word of encouragement.

Whatever the repair or replacement is you can do it. When I started working on my car I had a serious problem the car was practically undrivable I learned and fixed the problem and have been maintaining my car ever since with the help of this forum. Guys at the auto store were saying somewhat insulting things to me all insisting that I take it to a dealer that it was too complicated and what was needed was complicated machines to diagnose the problem. I didn't buy into their fear tactics or allow their ignorance to become mine. I was determined.

I have saved in excess of 10,000 dollars by doing all the repairs myself. Does my heart start pounding when I have the car taken apart, YES! But I take my time and label every screw and part and take things slow. I have been under the car many times and in it's guts many times. I just got finish with a front brake job.

I'm a chick that didn't grow up working on cars, but I was tired of mechanics hood wicking me and being ignorate of my own car. I thought - I'm capable I can certainly learn to fix a car. So I did and I do. Take a deep breath do your research and tally forth!!

May the force be with you! :)

P.S. I adore my little BMW it is a fine machine. I have extra pride in knowing it is my 2 little hands that keep her in top condition.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check your oil. Ticking may be a sign it is a bit low. Otherwise just as Shoalin said, read up on this site as well as e46fanatics.com and you'll be fine. These cars are extremely easy to work on and there is an abundance of information on how to go about fixing, seemingly hard problems, quite easily. If it is indeed your valve cover gasket $30-$40 and a set of tools and you can get it fixed in a few hours on the weekend.

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Check your oil. Ticking may be a sign it is a bit low. Otherwise just as Shoalin said, read up on this site as well as e46fanatics.com and you'll be fine. These cars are extremely easy to work on and there is an abundance of information on how to go about fixing, seemingly hard problems, quite easily. If it is indeed your valve cover gasket $30-$40 and a set of tools and you can get it fixed in a few hours on the weekend.
+1! The first and most important thing to do is check your oil, and keep checking it until you are sure that you don't have a leak. Oil is cheap, engines are not. Be sure that you use the correct oil, BMW 5-30. You can get it at the dealer for now. It is cheaper from a place like getbmwparts.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.