BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my stock 1990 BMW 318i and i bought a kenwood headunit, the problem is that the radio keeps randomly turning off, mot of the time its when i turn it up loud. Iv brought back to the shop and they tested it showed that it worked. the guy said it was because the old bmw's use some sort of a loop system and i needed to ground each speaker? has any one ran into this problem, also is there an easy to to install an after market gear knob? thanks a ton for any help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i ran all new wires to my stuff! except the acc wire

ran all time power to head unit (inline fuse) from battery

ground wire to frame

rewire all speakers (new speakers)

·
Registered
476 Posts
that would lead me to insufficient power or a ****ty ground! mine did it in the 300zx and used a bigger gauge from direct stuff and worked perfect

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
rather than run a wire in the manner turdle was talking about, i ran one from an empty fuse slot that is only on when the ignition is on, with a heavier gauge wire, this solved my problem and when i turn the car off the most wonderful thing happens.......
the radio turns off and the anntenna goes down lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
thats definitely a bad ground. Check the ground wire (black or brown), also, check the grounds for all four speakers. BMWs do have a loop system so that if one speaker ground is bad, none of the speakers will work right, including the factory amp. This should be a simple problem to fix...just go over all the wires for speakers, factory or aftermarket amp and head unit. Also, an inline fuse will help you in the long run. Also, make sure you didnt wire your head unit in to your 12v constant power (because this will drain your battery eventually if you let your car sit for a few days).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts