BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I will be moving to Boston in the next couple of months... and planning on getting a new
e90 ED around the same time.
I have read every post and thread about the subject and still cannot decide..
I am probably looking at a 328 either i or xi as I don't think I can afford a 335 as much as I would have loved to...
I want the Sports Package either way for the seats and steering wheel.

After all the research I have done, I am leaning towards saving the money on the Xi, and investing in a set of winter tires and the 328i with Sport Package

However, after visiting Boston a few times and driving there, I am starting to think that those potholes would be too much for a car with the Sports suspension and 18' rims.

Am I better off with the 328Xi and All seasons all year long?
Please don't tell me to search on the subject as I have done a lot of searching and reseraching already... I am trying to get specific input from Boston locals.

Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to ask:
For those of you with Sport Package in Boston, is the ride too harsh and does it feel like you are breaking something everytime you hit a nasty pothole? How well do the rims and tires sustain the damage without bending?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Personally, I have a '04 330xi b/c I get called in to the hospital in the middle of the night, and Boston is known for getting 2 feet of snow in a night. I have been through 3 new rims and 4 new tires from driving in Boston, and that is from careful driving, I recommend a tire/wheel protection plan, I purchased one as well. I have colleagues who have 330ci's, and 330i's, and they work fine until it gets really icey/snow, they can't drive around these winding streets even w/ snows on w/ them. You are probably going to see a huge debate about i vs. xi, especially from a few members, but coming from someone who is in Boston, the 330xi has helped me out of some bad weather situations that my old maxima couldn't fathom. As for sport package, I have been in friends' 330ci's w/ sport package, and you can feel the road somewhat more, which can be a problem in Boston, because the roads here are awful, you've probably heard this before. I went through two wheels/tires last year alone b/c of one rain filled pothole near MIT. I didn't purchase this car w/ sport package b/c of the roads, although I, like you, would've rather had the seats and steering wheel, and that was in 2004. One of my colleagues has an e90 new 330i, which he can't use on bad snow nights, so I pick him up in the xi on the way to the hospital. Beautiful car though, if you don't need to drive in some of the harsh days here, you'll be ok w/ a 328i, get some snows, they are limited though when it is really icey/snow. Next purchase of mine will be either 328xi/335xi as well, w/out the sports (due to road). Best of luck, and don't let anyone highjack this thread and make it an i vs. xi thread :) If you need any other advice/opinions about driving here, you can PM me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the respsonse... You are right, I am looking for Boston specific feedback not a general i Vs Xi debate.

One question though, I thought the Sport package on the E90 Xi did not have the stiffer suspension, just the seats and sports wheel. Am I wrong? If not, then why would you recommend an Xi without the Sports package?

Also, Are you running All seasons or winter tires on your Xi?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure about the sports suspension on the new e90, if it doesn't have a different suspension, go for the sports package, the seats are nice, on the e46, there was a different suspension for it. I have all seasons and winter wheels, although this year I did not have to switch to winters. Its good to have an extra set of winters just in case, there can be ultra extreme blizzards here. Best of luck, and welcome to Boston :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I love Boston and my fiancee lives there. Just not too excited about the weather coming from San Diego you know...

Isn't the Xi and winter tires overkill though?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Some say it is, but they've come into excellent use when the city of Cambridge 'conveniently' forgets to plow your street and you get emergency called at 3 am in the middle of snow storm, you should be fine w/out them like i said, but if you do choose to buy them, you can get cheap rims off craigslist, I was able to buy new bmw snow wheels off the list for 450 altogether, I lucked out. My colleague had to replace two of his runflats and rims w/in this year alone, I felt bad, had to go through the same w/ the regular tires/rims. :(

·
Read Only
78 Posts
For what its worth, i will put in my 2 cents.

I have a 2001 C320 M-B. I have had it since 2001 and it is a rear drive car like the 3er. I lived in Boston (back bay) and drive through snow regularly. To be honest, it can get tricky, and my car tend to get stuck in the snow if i dont navigate carefully. On the other hand, I have driven the car to Vermont and New York during snowy weather. the anti-skid system is pretty effective, but there is nothing like actual caution when driving in the snow.

If i am shopping in Boston today, i will opt for the 330xi. Buy wheel and tire replacement package (a very good idea) and keep a shovel in the trunk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Xi

I live in Maine just north of Boston.

I have always made it a point to have Front Wheel or AWD after dealing with my first winter in New England seven years ago.

Its not always snow, its the ice that gets you.

I have had my 325XI for two years now and swear by it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ramos said:
One question though, I thought the Sport package on the E90 Xi did not have the stiffer suspension, just the seats and sports wheel. Am I wrong?
Correct, same suspension and same size all season tires. The only difference is the steering wheel, sport seats,and different style wheel. (sorry, missed RGRAY's post above)

The seats and steering wheel improvements are awesome, better than I expected and well worth it if $ is not an issue. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Are you planning on shopping around Boston for the vehicle? You can get an excellent deal if you are willing to go to a few dealerships...best of luck, I just found out off the bmw site that there is no sports suspension in the e90 xi...best of luck. :) If you need help shopping around, pm me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey there. Just to offer a differing opinion, I have a 330i with sport package. I have a second set of wheels with Blizzak LM-22 snow tires mounted on them that I keep in my basement. When December rolls around I put these on my car for the winter. The RWD with snow tires is actually very nice, in my opinion, the tires make the biggest difference for winter driving.

And I do not find the sport package too harsh. Yes, if you hit a pothole it can be a little unpleasant so you need to keep your eye out for big ones.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i or xi

I do not desire to open a debate on i or xi. I do not live in Boston. I am in Northern Ontario, Canada - many potholes due to weather and a good deal of snow and ice. I purchased a automatic 325 xi. I am not trying to be anything special in driving my vehicle. I simply enjoy the BMW. This is my first all wheel drive vehicle. I have lived all of my life in Norther Ontario with snow conditions and have driven for years with rear wheel drive and front wheel drive vehicles. From now on, I will always purchase the all wheel drive vehicle. I simply feel it is better in snow conditions. Rather than debate tires. I have driven in snow conditions for over 44 years. I would always suggest the all wheel drive and for a small amount more, invest in four high quality snow tires. Last year, I made three trips out of town. Every trip ended up in hitting a snow storm. I felt the xi and snow tires were benefical in these conditions. Good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really depends on which part of Boston you live in. If you live close to downtown, a set of good snow tires is all you need. I've driven my E55 with Blizzak LM25 all over Mass in all sorts of weather and it has not disappoint me one bit yet.

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
I live about 2 hours south of Boston....but I'll just give my 2 cents.

The reason I went with the sports package was because I did not like the standard 16" rims that came on the 325i. The sports suspension is quite nice, but not really the reason why I got the sports package. After purchasing the car, I realized that I could have gotten the sports package and all-wheel-drive for only $1500 more than what I paid for the car with the sports package only. I would have done that in a heart beat.

I would recommend investing the difference in all-wheel-drive and not winter tires, since the cost difference between all-wheel-drive and snow tires is very small. Although I am not from Boston, it is nice having the comfort of AWD in any northeast state.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I live in Boston, and my 01 xi loves the snow and ice! Not the huge potholes though, 8 new rubbers in less than 2 years...
The xi does make a HUGE difference, oh ya just think... That white fluffy stuff is just 4-5 months out...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I don't live in Boston but New York is not that different in terms of potholes and snow/ice. If you need to go up a snow/ice covered hill, AWD will definitely help as will snow tires (you could start with AWD and then add snows).

Most important thing to remember though is to drive carefully when it snows. Many people don't and end up in the ditch/guard rail. Coming from San Diego, you should be extra cautious until you have been driving in snow/ice a while.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts