BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it. I am having the Dinan Stage I upgrade added tomorrow morning and switching my Goodyear RF tires to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus with a Conti Comfort kit. :thumbup: Both are being done at the same facility - Fall Line MotorSports in Buffalo Grove. I am looking forward to the changes and will let you know my impressions.
DocBob

Anyone looking for 19" Goodyear LS2 Run Flats for their 550i xDrive with the M-Sports Pkg? I'll sell at a good price (Less than 600 miles)

·
Plastic Man
88 Posts
You will love stage 1 - I will change to Pilot Sport 3's when they come out. Being in Florida need Max Performance Tires so I am going to wait to get rid of the hockey pucks

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
I finally did it. I am having the Dinan Stage I upgrade added tomorrow morning and switching my Goodyear RF tires to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus with a Conti Comfort kit. :thumbup: Both are being done at the same facility - Fall Line MotorSports in Buffalo Grove. I am looking forward to the changes and will let you know my impressions.
DocBob

Anyone looking for 19" Goodyear LS2 Run Flats for their 550i xDrive with the M-Sports Pkg? I'll sell at a good price (Less than 600 miles)
Congrats. I look forward to your initial review.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
DocBob

a man after my own heart. those two changes i made to this car i think are the best that can be done (save shocks, exhaust, major work). can't wait to read the review doc!

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Surprised you did not wait until the engine was a bit more run in. I'd have issues with keeping my foot out of it with that tune!

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Unlike our recent weather, it was a beautiful, crisp, sunny 40 degree day here in Chicago. Physically, I felt really good and I was in a great mood. I'd call it a "Sunny Day" impulse decision - somewhere around $4300 when all was figured in i.e. shipping, road hazzard, Conti Comfort kit, etc,.(a mini vacation)
I had e-mailed and called Fall- Line Motorsports near my home and arranged my schedule to stop by to check it out and discuss the Dinan upgrade. Their facility was spotless, their lead Dinan Tech was very knowledgeable and helpful and, when I saw that their facility had at least 50 BMW's all set up for the racing circuit, I couldn't resist. He had an opening today and also said he would switch out my GY RF tires at the same visit. We called TireRack, placed the order and set it up. He suggested the all season Michelin Pilots largely due to the weather and road conditions locally and also for the better wear characteristics. As far as timing, my car has 600 miles on it. He said to take it easy until 1200 miles ( around 7- 10days) before I push it. I can handle that.
BTW, he also re-assured me regarding any warranty issues. Dinan will cover what BMW doesn't.
I am really looking forward to it.
DocBob

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a portable air compressor with a tire filler for punctures i.e. my new tires aren't Run flats and I won't carry a spare.
Look up Conti comfort on Tire Rack. It's $79.99.
DocBob

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You will love stage 1 - I will change to Pilot Sport 3's when they come out. Being in Florida need Max Performance Tires so I am going to wait to get rid of the hockey pucks
I know the Staples, I think by Dale Mabry?

where in Tampa did you get your tint done?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Congrats - great choices there.

Given the failure rate of the RFTs you should have no trouble selling them!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unlike our recent weather, it was a beautiful, crisp, sunny 40 degree day here in Chicago. Physically, I felt really good and I was in a great mood. I'd call it a "Sunny Day" impulse decision - somewhere around $4300 when all was figured in i.e. shipping, road hazzard, Conti Comfort kit, etc,.(a mini vacation)
I had e-mailed and called Fall- Line Motorsports near my home and arranged my schedule to stop by to check it out and discuss the Dinan upgrade. Their facility was spotless, their lead Dinan Tech was very knowledgeable and helpful and, when I saw that their facility had at least 50 BMW's all set up for the racing circuit, I couldn't resist. He had an opening today and also said he would switch out my GY RF tires at the same visit. We called TireRack, placed the order and set it up. He suggested the all season Michelin Pilots largely due to the weather and road conditions locally and also for the better wear characteristics. As far as timing, my car has 600 miles on it. He said to take it easy until 1200 miles ( around 7- 10days) before I push it. I can handle that.
BTW, he also re-assured me regarding any warranty issues. Dinan will cover what BMW doesn't.
I am really looking forward to it.
DocBob
Congrats on your purchase. You're going to love it - going to be tough for you to finish your break in period though...

Another reason I'm happy I did PCD - by the time I got home, my break in period was 90% complete!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. You're going to love it - going to be tough for you to finish your break in period though...

Another reason I'm happy I did PCD - by the time I got home, my break in period was 90% complete!
eh break in shmake in

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 550i was awesome but is even better now......

I just picked up my 550i with the Dinan Stage 1 upgrade and new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. The whole process was painless, minus the $4300+ hit. The whole process took about 3 1/2 hours. The Dinan dealer dropped me off and later picked me up at my home when he dropped off my Goodyear RF tires.
In short, my already great car is now even better, and not by a small margin. The ride is smoother and quieter, less thumping over seams in the pavement and less "skittering" if I hit seams while making a tight turn. There is even less of the subtle vibration I used to feel over rough pavement. My other tires were fine on good pavement but not great on rough surfaces, small potholes, seams, irregular surfaces, etc,.
As far as the Dinan Stage 1, I'm supposed to be careful for the next 600 miles during break-in, but I have to admit I cheated just a little.
The engine sound seems to be the same but the acceleration between 20-100mph is startling to say the least. I was cautiously and carefully weaving, darting and passing vehicles on the tollway with very little effort. The car just moves quickly without any hint of effort. I noted several times that the rpms were well below 3000 even as I was accelerating between 80-100mph. :thumbup:
The real question is that if a vehicle has this capacity with only a software upgrade, why doesn't BMW offer the Dinan Stage 1 as an option with the M-Sport Package? Are they concerned about potential M5 buyers?
In addition, I also think they should offer an option for Non RF tires with a "BMW Comfort Kit" i.e. compressor. The ride is definitely superior.
Now I have to work on selling my tires (600 miles).
I'll have an update in a few weeks after the break-in period is up.
In the meantime, if you are considering the Dinan, do it! Tires, same answer-do it!
DocBob

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Doc, it really changes the car immensely, great initial review. I have had it now for 2000 miles and i think these two upgrades make the car 50-100% better. You have driven some fast cars in your day (coming out of a 6 right?). How does the n63 engine with dinan remap compare to your beasts of the past?

·
Plastic Man
88 Posts
Doc,
I love my Dinan Stage 1. Took my car from Tampa to Miami and actually hung with a pack of about 12 motorcycles through alligator ally. I am waiting for the Michelin PS3 to come out to get rid of the RF's. I may get the itch and do the rubber earlier but I will live with the harshness of the GY RF's for now. How about the turbos at 4500 rpms?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Doc,
I love my Dinan Stage 1. Took my car from Tampa to Miami and actually hung with a pack of about 12 motorcycles through alligator ally. I am waiting for the Michelin PS3 to come out to get rid of the RF's. I may get the itch and do the rubber earlier but I will live with the harshness of the GY RF's for now. How about the turbos at 4500 rpms?
It feels like you get shot out of a gun but if doc is a good soldier, he hasnt found that out yet. Break in!!!!!

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been a good soldier i.e. not pushing it, but the car is still fast as hell. Like I said, I was accelerating between 80 and 100 and the car is barely breathing. 100mph feels like 80, 80 like 60 etc,. The speed and power are delivered effortlessly. This is by far the fastest most composed car I have owned. I loved my 2001 M5 for its acceleration but also for its engine/exhaust sound. Porsche 911 the same but not near as composed as the 550i. My MB S55 was straight line fast, 493HP, but didn't handle near as well. The only thing I would hope for in my 550i is a stronger/louder exhaust note to go along with the speed/power. Then this car would be perfect.
DocBob

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have been a good soldier i.e. not pushing it, but the car is still fast as hell. Like I said, I was accelerating between 80 and 100 and the car is barely breathing. 100mph feels like 80, 80 like 60 etc,. The speed and power are delivered effortlessly. This is by far the fastest most composed car I have owned. I loved my 2001 M5 for its acceleration but also for its engine/exhaust sound. Porsche 911 the same but not near as composed as the 550i. My MB S55 was straight line fast, 493HP, but didn't handle near as well. The only thing I would hope for in my 550i is a stronger/louder exhaust note to go along with the speed/power. Then this car would be perfect.
DocBob
And that is our next mod my friend. New louder exhaust. That is swimming in the deep end a little for me though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just picked up my 550i with the Dinan Stage 1 upgrade and new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires. The whole process was painless, minus the $4300+ hit. The whole process took about 3 1/2 hours. The Dinan dealer dropped me off and later picked me up at my home when he dropped off my Goodyear RF tires.
In short, my already great car is now even better, and not by a small margin. The ride is smoother and quieter, less thumping over seams in the pavement and less "skittering" if I hit seams while making a tight turn. There is even less of the subtle vibration I used to feel over rough pavement. My other tires were fine on good pavement but not great on rough surfaces, small potholes, seams, irregular surfaces, etc,.
As far as the Dinan Stage 1, I'm supposed to be careful for the next 600 miles during break-in, but I have to admit I cheated just a little.
The engine sound seems to be the same but the acceleration between 20-100mph is startling to say the least. I was cautiously and carefully weaving, darting and passing vehicles on the tollway with very little effort. The car just moves quickly without any hint of effort. I noted several times that the rpms were well below 3000 even as I was accelerating between 80-100mph. :thumbup:
The real question is that if a vehicle has this capacity with only a software upgrade, why doesn't BMW offer the Dinan Stage 1 as an option with the M-Sport Package? Are they concerned about potential M5 buyers?
In addition, I also think they should offer an option for Non RF tires with a "BMW Comfort Kit" i.e. compressor. The ride is definitely superior.
Now I have to work on selling my tires (600 miles).
I'll have an update in a few weeks after the break-in period is up.
In the meantime, if you are considering the Dinan, do it! Tires, same answer-do it!
DocBob
So I'm really considering switching out my Goodyear LS2's for non-run flats and am looking at the tires you've switched too or maybe some summer non-runflats. So my question to you is, how much of a difference are you really noticing from these new tires? Would you get these again or some even higher performance summer tires? I'm in the city so will be hitting plenty more potholes going forward.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.