Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition! :thumbup:

 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
Paint and badges... The Vette deserves more than that for its 50th.

Although the new mangetic shocks sound like a pretty good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually surprised they didn't use the Z06 drivetrain... :( Oh well, I guess having a 50th Anniversary Edition convertible available makes more business sense... :dunno:

PS: There's more to it. The interior is also unique...
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
They used the same colors as the 93 Anniversary . . .I love the Corvette but I just can't appreciate it like I used to.

I can't explain it but I love the feel of a foreign car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alan F said:
...I love the Corvette but I just can't appreciate it like I used to.
Alan,

All it takes is a quick test drive... I bet you would recover that "lovin' feelin'" :D The C5's are the best Vette's ever produced... ;) Does your sister still have hers?
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Alan F said:
They used the same colors as the 93 Anniversary . . .I love the Corvette but I just can't appreciate it like I used to.

I can't explain it but I love the feel of a foreign car
The hue is similar, but different. The paint itself is very different and if what I've read is correct, will have a completely different texture and will play much under various lights than the 40th did.
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Alan F said:
They used the same colors as the 93 Anniversary . . .I love the Corvette but I just can't appreciate it like I used to.

I can't explain it but I love the feel of a foreign car
I had an 87 C4 for about a year (42,000 miles) and a 69 roadster 350/350 that was built for about nine years (14,000 miles). I thought that I would always have a corvette. Haven't had one since February 1995. The morning of the day that I ordered my wagon, I went to test drive a 99 FRC. I had been looking seriously for about two months and it was the 10th C5 that I test drove. Before driving it, I really hoped that I was going to take it home with me. Before I got out of the parking lot I knew it wasn't the right one.

Corvettes will always have a place in my heart...I hope that I find a way to find a place for another one in my garage sometime soon.
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,180 Posts
ALEX325i said:


Alan,

All it takes is a quick test drive... I bet you would recover that "lovin' feelin'" :D The C5's are the best Vette's ever produced... ;) Does your sister still have hers?

She traded it in for . . . get this . . . an Eldorado . . . she had one before the Corvette and loved it so she went and got the same exact car she had only newer . . .

I think it was an even swap . .. a 99 Corvette for a 2000 Eldo with lower miles than the vette had :dunno:

I know your probably right about the Vette but I need my kids to get older so they could ride with me before I'd ever consider buying one . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clyde325xiT said:

...had been looking seriously for about two months and it was the 10th C5 that I test drove. Before driving it, I really hoped that I was going to take it home with me. Before I got out of the parking lot I knew it wasn't the right one...
Why? You didn't like the C5 or there was something wrong with the ones you test drove?
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
ALEX325i said:


Why? You didn't like the C5 or there was something wrong with the ones you test drove?
That one in particular wasn't a great example of the breed and I was getting pretty discouraged in general. November really isn't the best time of year to go looking for used Corvettes. Corvette owners generally, and late model owners specifically, tend to not have a clue about their cars' values...and that's been true since at least since I started looking at used Corvettes nearly 20 years ago. As a rule, Corvettes tend to be driven much harder than more pedestrian cars, and the late model ones ones on the secondary market aren't usually all that well taken care of. It's not until they get older that you find the single owner cars come up for sale that have been meticulously maintained from original delivery. Too many of them are bought by single guys without kids that drive the piss out of them for a couple years when a new wife or baby forces a sale.

After I drove that 99 FRC, I had lunch with my wife and we talked about cars. We decided to go to a BMW dealer and test drive the wagon (which had been on the short list before I thought that a C5 was a realistic consideration). By the time we got out of the parking lot I knew that the wagon was going to fill a lot more needs for me than the C5 and that I would be happy enough driving it on a daily basis.

I still have a deposit on a Cooper S and have already moved myself down the list twice (to Augest production) while I decide what I want to do for a fun car. I can probably get into a cherry C5 (if I can find one) or older M Coupe for the same money. Or I may bite the bullet and wait it out for a Lotus Elise (and spend whatever extra it'll cost). I really don't know what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
clyde325xiT said:


That one in particular wasn't a great example of the breed and I was getting pretty discouraged in general. November really isn't the best time of year to go looking for used Corvettes. Corvette owners generally, and late model owners specifically, tend to not have a clue about their cars' values...and that's been true since at least since I started looking at used Corvettes nearly 20 years ago. As a rule, Corvettes tend to be driven much harder than more pedestrian cars, and the late model ones ones on the secondary market aren't usually all that well taken care of. It's not until they get older that you find the single owner cars come up for sale that have been meticulously maintained from original delivery. Too many of them are bought by single guys without kids that drive the piss out of them for a couple years when a new wife or baby forces a sale.

After I drove that 99 FRC, I had lunch with my wife and we talked about cars. We decided to go to a BMW dealer and test drive the wagon (which had been on the short list before I thought that a C5 was a realistic consideration). By the time we got out of the parking lot I knew that the wagon was going to fill a lot more needs for me than the C5 and that I would be happy enough driving it on a daily basis.

I still have a deposit on a Cooper S and have already moved myself down the list twice (to Augest production) while I decide what I want to do for a fun car. I can probably get into a cherry C5 (if I can find one) or older M Coupe for the same money. Or I may bite the bullet and wait it out for a Lotus Elise (and spend whatever extra it'll cost). I really don't know what to do.
Got it. You're correct. I've seen beat up C5's for sale. The last one I saw was a 00. What a shame! :tsk:

The 2 C5's I had were bought in the winter though. The 98 one was bought in Feb/98. The 01, in March/01... I think I got good deals on them for that reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,077 Posts
ALEX325i said:
The 2 C5's I had were bought in the winter though. The 98 one was bought in Feb/98. The 01, in March/01... I think I got good deals on them for that reason.
Winter deals in Florida?! :confused:
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
Mystikal said:


Winter deals in Florida?! :confused:
Thinking the same thing. :thumbdwn: :D

Oh, how I so want to get back to southern california. I'm never listening to my wife again.:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mystikal said:


Winter deals in Florida?! :confused:
Yo, Mr. Smarty Pants... You'll have to do a LOT better than that... :tsk: Twice on the same day? Dream on pal... :rolleyes:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mystikal said:


Hey, almost. One strikeout is enough to make me content. :D
Hope you enjoyed it. I guarantee it'll take a while for you to catch another one of those... :flipoff: :p
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top