Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Tahoe?) on I-45 south of Hobby Airport in my rear view mirror. Traffic was going around 65 mph. I believe he swerved and over corrected to avoid what looked like an Eclipse driven by a girl. It is a scary awakening for me to see how much energy has to be dissipated before the SUV came to rest. I doubt the occupants survived the accident. I'll monitor the news tonight.

The strange thing was after I saw the accident, I slowed to about 50 in the center lane and continue on. The Eclipse caught up and went past me. Then what looked like an unmarked patrol car with darken windows trailed her, and then paced her in the fast lane. A late model pickup then came along trailed and boxed her. I though the patrol car and the pickup were cops doing a vehicle check before pulling her over. But, the girl without any reason exited the freeway along with the patrol car and the truck. I did not see what happened afterwards as I continue on I-45 south towards Clear Lake. Strange.:confused:

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
Was your son OK after rolling his new SUV?:p

·
Vietato
21,927 Posts
:tsk: Dave, Dave, Dave, you are supposed to turn around and get pictures of the wreck and then go to the girl and take a picture of her. She might be hot. :rolleyes:

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pintnight said:
:tsk: Dave, Dave, Dave, you are supposed to turn around and get pictures of the wreck and then go to the girl and take a picture of her. She might be hot. :rolleyes:
I was scared stiff, and I wouldn't know what to do.:D

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
I saw something similar to this happen about a year ago (except the full sized truck landed upside down). :yikes:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Dave 330i said:
It will slide this time:confused: Next time 2 of the wreck:eek: and about six of the girl. If she is hot ofcourse:D

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
Dave 330i said:
Did you at least call 911 for help??

Would you have to dial 411 to ask for the number to 911? :eeps: :p

·
Living on the redline
27,240 Posts
if they had seat belts on they probably survived

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes 4,000 lbs and up does take quite a while to come to rest. Saw a similar thing happen to a Jeep Liberty once. Rolled about 100 yards - UP HILL.

One of the buy products of an SUV falling into the 'light truck' category is that rollover requirements are not nearly as strict as for passenger cars. If the occupants where wearing seatbelts, their survival is predicated on the roof not collapsing. Once that happens the shoulder strap mount point is no longer working, and the belts loosens and no longer works.....

I did a white paper a year ago on SUV/Lt. pickup/car accident fatality rates and fatal accident rates (no, not a grammer typo, just two ways of measuring it) SUVs are statistically more dangerous and more fatal then cars. Granted, there are safe SUVs and dangerous cars, but not as a population.

·
Vietato
21,927 Posts
Sands said:
Yes 4,000 lbs and up does take quite a while to come to rest. Saw a similar thing happen to a Jeep Liberty once. Rolled about 100 yards - UP HILL.

One of the buy products of an SUV falling into the 'light truck' category is that rollover requirements are not nearly as strict as for passenger cars. If the occupants where wearing seatbelts, their survival is predicated on the roof not collapsing. Once that happens the shoulder strap mount point is no longer working, and the belts loosens and no longer works.....

I did a white paper a year ago on SUV/Lt. pickup/car accident fatality rates and fatal accident rates (no, not a grammer typo, just two ways of measuring it) SUVs are statistically more dangerous and more fatal then cars. Granted, there are safe SUVs and dangerous cars, but not as a population.
Wow, took a study to actually figured that out? :confused: :eeps:

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pintnight said:
Wow, took a study to actually figured that out? :confused: :eeps:
They do studies for more obvious things.
Girls who have sex without protection are more likely to get pregnant.
Second hand smoke can be an irritant to the eyes.
You have less control of the steering wheel if you use your hand to hold a cell phone while driving.
Spending too much time in fest will take away time you can spend on something else.
Color blind people cannot see the red in a stop sign.
:D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
SergioK said:
I saw something similar to this happen about a year ago (except the full sized truck landed upside down). :yikes:
Same here about 2 years ago. Vehicle (Explorer, what else) was traveling in the opposite direction n the Northern Parkway on LI. Overcorrected and flipped and the driver who appeared to be the only passenger was ejected through the windshield while the vehicle was perpendicular to the road. It was very weird like slow motion. I don't think he made it.

·
Save the Males!
1,368 Posts
I was driving on I-16 in GA in the rain, when I say a dodge Ram coming up behind me start spinning around, and then into a ditch at probabily 65 mph. I stopped, the truck had hit a tree, and there was 7 people in it, the only ones who werent hurt were the kids in the child seats, everyone else wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Lucky for them they were still rotating when they hit the tree, and they sort of rotated around the tree which deflected the blow. Still, people really dont realize how little control they have on the highway.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I actually saw something similar happen a few weeks ago.....I was on I66 West.....and there is a section coming out of DC where it expands from 2...to 3 lanes....the new lane is the lane on the far right which is an onramp that just continues as a lane.....well right when the lane opened up I moved over quickly and starting moving up to 85-90mph to pass the slower cars on my left....and a Z06 jumps out in front of me and "quickly" pulls away from me doing 100+mph....next thing I see him in front of me trying to overpass the car in front of him......by quickly passing him on the left and cutting back right.....but he over adjusts and jets across all three lanes sideways not hitting anyone mind you....or even me and I was right behind him :yikes: .........I see him rolling as he comes to a rest in the median right by the metro tracks.....I pulled over and called 911.......the ironic thing was when I got back on to I66 another Z06 was trying to race me.....when I was heading back eastbound on I66 later that night the whole thing was closed. Hope the driver/passenger were okay.....I looked in the paper and on the news and saw nothing. :(

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Years ago I was driving my 1967 Bug on I-64 heading toward Richmond... got passed by another '67 Bug with two chicks on board, noticed in passing that the passenger was asleep against the window... once they are about a half mile ahead, all of sudden it looks like they are making a right turn on the road from the left lane to the right... they go off on to the shoulder on the right side, and the swingaxle digs into the grass and flips them in the air sideways, they land on the edge of the roof, the rear window pops out in one piece :wow: and they continue to roll... as they roll, clothing starts to fly out of the car... :confused: ... Meanwhile, the dude in front of me (in a modern vehicle) locks it up... I hit the brakes, downshift and yank my emergency brake to keep from hitting him, and stop right next to the overturned Bug, which is now resting on its drivers door... I run over to it, and notice a bra hanging from the bumper (really!) along with a variety of other clothing... all glass is intact, except for the missing rear window... I walk up to the passenger door and look in and find the passengers looking back at me, still (fortunately) in their seatbelts... Also, fortunately, they had locked the doors (Beetle doors used to pop open frequently upon impact) so they were saved by their actions again... Had them unlock the door, and then opened it like a hatch, and helped them out... when we righted the Bug, the roof was bent at about a 15 degree angle but it was surprisingly intact... However, long story short, they were very fortunate... no airbags, metal dash and doors, no headrests, lucky they had added seatbelts... it could have been ugly! :yikes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts