Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 535i M has been a great car and I dont put up huge mileage - currently have about 48k. Dropped it off last night to get the annual state inspection and have oil changed. They just called me and tried to get me to drop $400 on the engine and cabin air filter, then said BMW's typically have 3 oil leaks and I was starting to get one of them and wanted to replace the oil and gasket something or other and that would be another $1000. I politely told them no thanks, just change the oil and give my inspection sticker.

I'm all for preventive maintenance, but if no indicator light is going on is there a way to tell I need anything w/o being scammed by an indy trying to generate some revenue?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I mean - you can do the filters yourself. As for oil leaks, are you waiting for it to get so bad you blow your engine? Ask them to take pictures of the leaks and then you can make an informed decision. While I don't just trust mechanics off the bat, Indy's are usually pretty good at letting you know what actually needs to be done.

You dont know if they tried to fleece you yet as you dont know whats actually leaking.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Wouldnt I start to have low oil warnings if it was becoming an issue?
Sure, but do you really want to wait until then? I'm not saying you have to go to that indy or do the repair today, but waiting for the low oil warning is not something I would consider doing. If you have a noticeable leak, remedy it.

Id first start with getting eyes on w/e leak they say is happening. For example, when I had my BMW in for a recall, they claimed I needed the Oil filter housing gaskets ($1200). Well, I could see they were not leaking. Took another two years before I started to see a sign that they were leaking. Replaced before any warnings showed up.

Yes you can wait, but running the car to low oil warnings is not something I would recommend.

·
Registered
722 Posts
An OFHG leak gets on the belts and tensioners, the belt can slip off, then it gets pulled into the valve chain through the main seal and you're looking at real trouble.

I personally feel that waiting to be 1-1.5L low on oil before paying attention isn't a great idea, and certain oil leaks come with other risks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you see any oil drops where you park?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just picked the car up - it was the oil filter housing gasket they suggested replacing. I asked the tech at the front what that meant, and as he started describing I asked if he could just show me outside on my car. So we went out, popped the hood, and he showed me the the area and how sometimes oil could leak, but there wasnt any oil leaking anywhere and he didnt seem like it was all the urgent. Cost would have been $995. Also suggested replacing the engine air filter ($100) and cabin hvac filter ($310) but I got the feeling this was more of an unnecessary upsell then any required maintenance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Buy a K&N air filter-lifetime!

·
tag_m3
75 Posts
I don't recall seeing any light indicator when I had an OFHG leak. DIY wasn't that difficult.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
OFHG leaks are common on these cars and your indy knows it. $995 does seem high to replace though. Mine went about 15 months ago at close to 55K miles. Fortunately it was covered under my CPO warranty. About 9 months later I started noticing a burning smell and a small amount of smoke coming from the right side of my engine. That turned out to be a small valve cover gasket leak, another common occurrence. That one cost me about $800 to replace at an indy.

Like most indys yours is advising you to take preventive measures and probably wants to make a little money, too. Some are more expensive than others. Maybe you can take your car to another indy for a second opinion and maybe a better price. You can always have the OFHG taken care of first and keep an eye on it for a valve cover gasket leak. Both will eventually need to be replaced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Listen, I had the exact same thing. When I went to pickup my car the CSRep said I have an oil leak..it's the OFHG it will cost $795...I said ok, I'll let you know. Got home and put a light down on the head gasket area. Sure enough, evidence of oil. I got a paper towel and started cleaning "everything" using a long flathead screwdriver. Put my fingers under and in every nook and cranny. Got it pretty cleaned up. Then, like with any leak, you have to follow the source, to the higher level....cleaned under the oil filter, (oh, btw, not with the same paper towel, got a roll of the quick picker upper) the black rubber hose that connects into the oil cooler, then when everything was degreased...I happen to look behind the oil cooler and there is a thimble sized resivour behind the oil cooler...filled with oil...wicked it all out using the paper towel. .next day ran the car...lifted the hood...sure enough..it was filled again....so why was there would everywhere? When the hood is closed the turblance, wind from the surp belt makes the oil fly inside of the engine. Yes, oil cooler gasket (not the head gasket)
By now, I've read up on both leaks and watched YouTube videos...when on EBay and purchased not gaskets. BMW EOM gaskets the cooler cost $12.95 and the head gasket was like 16.95. I was a little nervous doing it myself but said WTF it's either $795 or $12.95 and my time, I'm not Blurryface but... "Out of student loans and treehouse homes, we all would take the latter"....so, to keep from being Stressed Out ...I picked the latter! I was worried about opening up the cooler and the coolant and oil both run thru the cooler and if you get the fluids on the surpentine belt ...the belt can slip off while ur Running Down the Highway with the Doobies....and then you would have another problem...to be really stress-out...ok, ok, enough right? Back to being cool, they recommend you getting Pig Blankets...and they ****en cost $...in lieu of the Pig Blanket I got a diaper, **** they absorbed quicky too even if you put one on a house pig...so got the diaper in place, opened up the freaken cooler, yep, the **** comes out but right into the diaper...are you getting this? :)... You'll need a pick and a scotch pad and break clean spray...pic out (not pig out but litterly they were out) the old gasket, get it all out of where it is recessed in the cover plate...then use the scotch pad to clean the groove and the face of the plate. Get the ****er real clean, put the gasket in (like Phil Collins - No Glue Required). Put the cover plate back on and ur done. 20- 30 minutes. No more oils leak! Done, Finito, Terminado, Fertig!!!! And you save a lot of dinero! So, I hope it's the cooler gasket and not the head gasket for you. The head gasket has one bolt that is a real hemorrhoid...you will have to loosen or take of the intake manifold....and maybe the throttle...no big deal ...Nike says, "Just Do It" MF'er. Each and every first time.repairs keeps ur ball from going back up inside of you. Lettuce, know how you make out, is it the head gasket or the cooler gasket? Will you tackel it or Romaine a slave to the Stealership? It doesn't matter if it's an M, N, or P! They are all the same...a poof ****en design...I thought those BMW engineer candy build a better mousetrap for a thermal break between to aluminum plates. Freaken dryrott from excessive heat. It's just a matter of time before either one springs a leak. Seriously, if I can do it you can do it, changed my plugs, front brakes and rotors, oil changes, cabin and engine filters...etc...lift the ****en hood and get your hands dirty....there isn't any better medication to make you focus on something other than bull****.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
OFHG leaks are common on these cars and your indy knows it. $995 does seem high to replace though. Mine went about 15 months ago at close to 55K miles. Fortunately it was covered under my CPO warranty. About 9 months later I started noticing a burning smell and a small amount of smoke coming from the right side of my engine. That turned out to be a small valve cover gasket leak, another common occurrence. That one cost me about $800 to replace at an indy. .
Well, if your car is a California car, then the Valve Cover Head Gasket was covered by the California warranty. The California warranty for a 2014 535i is 8 years/100k miles. See page 37 of the warranty. Just go to BMW website and download the warranty.

I read this happening often and folks are just not aware. There are many states that follow California so if you live in one of those states, take a good look.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well, if your car is a California car, then the Valve Cover Head Gasket was covered by the California warranty. The California warranty for a 2014 535i is 8 years/100k miles. See page 37 of the warranty. Just go to BMW website and download the warranty.

I read this happening often and folks are just not aware. There are many states that follow California so if you live in one of those states, take a good look.
Head gaskets are different that valve cover gaskets. I have been on this forum for years and have read many many posts about the valve cover gasket issue on the F10. There are quite a number of very knowledgeable members on this forum and never once have I read about any kind of extended warranty on valve cover gaskets. If I had I would have taken my car to the dealer for repair. Do you have a copy of the warranty or a link specifically referring to valve cover gaskets?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
F10 has the PCV valve built in and yes california does cover it 100k or 8 years but the dealer will not tell you that unless you ask, also the famous oil filter housing gasket is well known on f10 and next on the list is valve cover/oil pan gasket which will come next get another indy to give you a quote parts are not expensive if you buy if from fcp euro on oil filter housing gasket

·
Registered
589 Posts
Head gaskets are different that valve cover gaskets. I have been on this forum for years and have read many many posts about the valve cover gasket issue on the F10. There are quite a number of very knowledgeable members on this forum and never once have I read about any kind of extended warranty on valve cover gaskets. If I had I would have taken my car to the dealer for repair. Do you have a copy of the warranty or a link specifically referring to valve cover gaskets?

Thanks.
My VCG was replaced under CA warranty 2 months ago. MY 2014 535i with 85k.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My VCG was replaced under CA warranty 2 months ago. MY 2014 535i with 85k.
I just contacted BMWNA Customer Service and they claim there is no extended warranty coverage for the VCG on my 2014 535i M Sport in CA. Can anyone direct me to or provide the specific extended warranty coverage info for the VCG on 2014 535i models in CA?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
A couple thoughts.....

First, I wouldn't worry about the OFHG until you can clearly see evidence of the leak on the front of the motor. However, once you see that....get it changed. As mentioned above, it isn't just about being low on oil. On changing it yourself......it's kind of a bitch to do. The bolts are hard to get to and there are a fair amount of parts that need to be removed to get the job done. I did it myself without issues and you undoubtedly can too, but it is not a repair that should be performed by someone that isn't very, very comfortable working on cars. You can eff up your car pretty quick and cost yourself a lot more than the money you save. I will say that the quoted price did seem high. I think mine would have cost around $800 if I had paid my indy to do the work.

On the valve cover gasket, mine leaked but only enough to be annoying. Dripped onto the exhaust manifold and made one hell of a stink. My extended warranty covered it though.

The filter prices? Damn....you need to find a better indy. Those are egregious markups and you should be able to do better than that. (or do it yourself.....cabin air filter is kind of a pain though).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just contacted BMWNA Customer Service and they claim there is no extended warranty coverage for the VCG on my 2014 535i M Sport in CA. Can anyone direct me to or provide the specific extended warranty coverage info for the VCG on 2014 535i models in CA?
Go to bmwusa.com website. Select owners tab. Select warranty information. Select year and model. Download the PDF file. Open the file and scroll to page 37. It is listed as the fourth item on the table.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can definitely do the air filter yourself (so easy) and the cabin air filters (there are two) are easy but require a bit of gymnastics. Watch a few videos and you'll be fine.

The Indy was correct on the oil leaks - the oil filter gasket is pretty common, as is the valve cover gasket, as is the oil pan (ask me how I know).

Mine were covered by the extended warranty - Route 66.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a good indy is trying to save you a future headache. I would do the same if I had a shop and saw the same problems day after day on the same engines. He was not telling you it "needed" to be done. Prices are high to me. Although I do all my work myself. Engine air filter takes 10 minutes tops... actual working time - not ordering the part, dealing with payments, documentation, getting tools, paying for all the overhead etc... We forget or just don't know how much it takes to run a garage. I am in the operating room all the time. There is lots of prep needed for the simplest cases.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts