Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Go to bmwusa.com website. Select owners tab. Select warranty information. Select year and model. Download the PDF file. Open the file and scroll to page 37. It is listed as the fourth item on the table.
Thanks Javier.

I am assuming the cylinder head cover gasket is the same as the valve cover gasket. I contacted BMWNA Customer Service again, explained my situation and they are assigning the matter to a case manager for review. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for what I paid my indy for the replacement.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Appreciate all the replies on here. I've never been a DIY but youtube sure does seem to help - I'm going to start w/my engine air filter then work my way to the cabin air filter. When I picked the car up I had one of the service techs show my where the OFHG's were and he had his flashlight poking around and didnt see any leaks so I'll keep an eye on it.

I've had a separate issue about 3 years ago where I had the battery replaced at a NTB (was a holiday weekend and only option) and they didnt pair the battery w/the car causing it to go into limp mode. The indy who I'm dealing with now replaced the battery and told me the cooling fan was inoperable and wanted $1500 to fix. Car was CPO'd and under warranty so took it to dealership and it ended up being the cooling fan relay not the $1500 problem they wanted.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Thanks Javier.

I am assuming the cylinder head cover gasket is the same as the valve cover gasket. I contacted BMWNA Customer Service again, explained my situation and they are assigning the matter to a case manager for review. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for what I paid my indy for the replacement.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
No such luck. BMWNA will not even consider reimbursement for a repair performed by a third party independent. That's the kind of appreciation I got for owning and driving BMW's for 16 years. My next car will not be a BMW!! :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
12 Posts
No such luck. BMWNA will not even consider reimbursement for a repair performed by a third party independent. That's the kind of appreciation I got for owning and driving BMW's for 16 years. My next car will not be a BMW!! :thumbdwn:
It doesn't surprise me. I would drive over to the dealer which denied your original claim and show the manager a copy of the warranty. Give them the opportunity for some Goodwill consideration on maintenance. Absent that, small claims court may be your only option. Sue the owner of the dealership.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This is a not negotiable California specific warranty provision as outlined in the owner's manual. So many people tried to tell you this time and again. It is only applicable to cars originally sold and residing in CA.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did the engine air filter myself today - amazingly simple. Bought a K&N and did it myself after watching a youtube video. I may try the cabin filters next.

The one thing that really kind of got my attention during the process was how dirty the engine bay was/is. Seemed like the whole thing was covered in a layer of dirt/dust. I used a wet cloth to clean a lot of it up. Is a dirty engine bay harmful? Do you guys do anything to clean your engine bays or is that an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,399 Posts
I clean mine primarily with a stiff brush and leaf blower. There has never been any spilled fluid in the engine bay that I can tell except DEF and that rinses right away with warm clear water.

BMW cautions to protect all elastomer rubber hoses and seals from fuel, oil, ATF, coolant, PS fluid, and to replace contaminated elastomers promptly.

My vibration reducer has an elastomer element that I inspect with mirror and flashlight about weekly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did the engine air filter myself today - amazingly simple. Bought a K&N and did it myself after watching a youtube video. I may try the cabin filters next.

The one thing that really kind of got my attention during the process was how dirty the engine bay was/is. Seemed like the whole thing was covered in a layer of dirt/dust. I used a wet cloth to clean a lot of it up. Is a dirty engine bay harmful? Do you guys do anything to clean your engine bays or is that an 'out of sight, out of mind' thing?
I stepped away from K&N a few years ago after the second car I used them on started to have MAF issues. I think the oil (even when done correctly) get on the downstream sensors. Not worth the risk over the paper ones to me. Sensitive electronics these days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cars are made to have reasonably dirty engines. Like anything, too much is not good. Keeping things clean helps identify issues when they arise, makes working on the car more enjoyable and prevents contamination of electronic connections / mechanical bits during repairs (like spark plugs). That being said, cleaning an engine presents its own risk too. So, be careful and pay attention to what you are doing. Research proper engine bay cleaning techniques and cleaners. We can all prevent Forrest fires :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I stepped away from K&N a few years ago after the second car I used them on started to have MAF issues. I think the oil (even when done correctly) get on the downstream sensors. Not worth the risk over the paper ones to me. Sensitive electronics these days.
I dont rack up a lot of miles so I figure I'll see how the K&N does and replace it rather then try and wash/recondition it. Reading about the increased air intake got me a little excited :) Knowing how simple the process is I may even check on it in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Cars are made to have reasonably dirty engines.??????
Explain why then they come clean from the factory? If they're "made to have reasonably dirty engines" how is one supposed to spot leaks before they become a serious issue?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Explain why then they come clean from the factory? If they're "made to have reasonably dirty engines" how is one supposed to spot leaks before they become a serious issue?
Cars come clean from the factory because they were just manufactured . What I meant to make clear, which I did poorly :), was that engines and engine bays are engineered to operate under dusty, dirty and even to a great extent, wet conditions. Keeping them "clean" in the conventional sense of the word is unnecessary, though helpful. Case in point: when identifying a oil filter housing leak, one would likely see symptoms sooner with a clean engine bay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont rack up a lot of miles so I figure I'll see how the K&N does and replace it rather then try and wash/recondition it. Reading about the increased air intake got me a little excited :) Knowing how simple the process is I may even check on it in 6 months or so.
The MAF will accommodate for the increased air flow. I would expect no net gain.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Go to bmwusa.com website. Select owners tab. Select warranty information. Select year and model. Download the PDF file. Open the file and scroll to page 37. It is listed as the fourth item on the table.
No, it lists the Cylinder Head Cover Gasket Set, which is different than the Valve Cover Gaskets (the common issue). Valve Cover Gaskets aren't listed. I checked because I had my Valve Cover Gaskets replaced a few months ago so looked at the warranty doc to see if it should have been covered, but no.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 3.38.53 PM.png

·
Registered
142 Posts
My stealership related same by way of the mechanic... I was told it was the oil filter filter head gasket and $750 would be the bill. I said I'll check it out...Went home and cleaned all of the oil to trace the leak. Ureka! There is a thimble size resivoure behind the oil cooler. Purchased the gasket on EBay for $16 oil leak all gone. I drank a few beers!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Buy the cabin filters on line...get a two pack...not the guy that got shot....and DIY!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yo, for crying out loud man....lift the hood, if you don't know how, look on-line or in ur owners manuel..there is a latch under the dash on your left front door..it pulls up...no, you won't break it..and fix it...look at a YouTube video and keep up with your maintenance. Why buy a BMW in the first place if ur not going to maintain it?? For real.....bouncing outa

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had 89k on my 2011 535xi 1 battery, fix but the dealer inside of the 3rd year, turbo accenuator celinoid, I got hosed at the dealer for a $80 part, replaced the plugs $70 v the $600 at the stealer, 1 starter $550, oiler cooler gasket leak $16 by me, did my own oil and filters changing...the savings add up...and buy ur tools at Harbor Freight, oh yeah, I got 69k miles out of the front breaks, replaced front pads & rotors.. go to RockAuto.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
I tried to buy the Route 66 warranty from a credit union...my cars are always "free & clear" and they wouldn't sell me the Route 66 unless I had taken out a blue book loan on the car. I guess I could always go through the loan process, buy the warranty then pay off the loan, if need be.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts