BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a 330 back to back with my car, I think that I prefer the 330's throttle.

I find it very responsive and easy to rev match. It does have some downsides, the tip in can be a bit jerky because it is so light and DBW does not have a mechanical feel which some find important.

But, for enthusiast driving, I think the DBW offeres a precise adjustment and is very responsive to blips. Easy to rev-match exactly every time :) Mostly due to the lightness and the responsiveness of the non-mechanical system. R&T loved it in the M3 during that handling test, I agree. Although, M engines are even more responsive. I have never noticed "sticky" throttle though....

I was wearing my Piloti driving shoes, btw :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
atyclb said:
TD?

Oh, TD!?

Look over here! :eek:
I don't trust TD's opinion on these matters, he can say whatever he wants. My observations are different.

G

·
atyclb said:
TD?

Oh, TD!?

Look over here! :eek:
Oh, I saw it. I'm ignoring it. Nate is so alone on this that there is no need for me to reply.

Although I suspect he may need treatment soon as he's obviously hitting the LSD pretty hard.

20,210 Posts
TD said:

Oh, I saw it. I'm ignoring it. Nate is so alone on this that there is no need for me to reply.

Although I suspect he may need treatment soon as he's obviously hitting the LSD pretty hard.
I'd love for you to get a chance to drive an E46 M3 and post your thoughts on the DBW and the rest of it.

:angel:

G

·
atyclb said:

I'd love for you to get a chance to drive an E46 M3 and post your thoughts on the DBW and the rest of it.

I am curious as to how the M3's programming affects the delay and overall linearity. My 330's throttle sucked so bad that it was hard to believe BMW actually screwed up that badly. I mean, at times, I questioned my own senses as BMW engineers usually put feel high on the list of priorities. Then again, this was the same car that had the hyper-boosted steering, so anything was possible (and why the car is now long gone).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
atyclb said:

Nah, that might bring him back into reality! :p

·
10,856 Posts
DBW was released in 2001 because of the M3 and the 318i. BMW is too cheap to have multiple assemblies running around, so... I bet throttle response in the 318i is FANTASTIC, as well.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
DBW was released in 2001 because of the M3 and the 318i. BMW is too cheap to have multiple assemblies running around, so... I bet throttle response in the 318i is FANTASTIC, as well.
I don't think so. The M3 has individual throttle bodies, which requires DBW. There would be no need to have DBW in the non-Ms because of the M3. The M5 was being produced alongside 528s and other E39s with mechanical throttles.

DBW was probably necessary for the SMG system on 325s and 330s

·
10,856 Posts
Ack said:
Can the DBW cause a mild "rocking" feeling when accelerating in first gear? I notice this happens sometimes with my car. I shift, step on the gas and the car feels like it rocking or jerky up until I take my foot off the gas and re-apply it. :dunno:
Sounds to me like a screwed up first gear engagement... The problem with DBW is there is very little feel, so this sort of thing is easy.

·
10,856 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I don't think so. The M3 has individual throttle bodies, which requires DBW. There would be no need to have DBW in the non-Ms because of the M3. The M5 was being produced alongside 528s and other E39s with mechanical throttles.

DBW was probably necessary for the SMG system on 325s and 330s
Nate! The 318i has Valvetronic, too!:banghead:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

Nate! The 318i has Valvetronic, too!:banghead:
Yes, I know it has Valvetronic. The M3 doesn't and neither do the 330 or 325s :dunno:

Valvetronic requires DBW as well...

G

·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Different models use different programming.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Drive by wire makes emissions compliance easier, and it makes integrating systems (such as DSC and the SMG) easier. It is not necessary for any of these things; SMG I cars had mechanical throttles, my old Contour had a mechanical throttle and traction control.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Yes I also like my Drive By Wire logic very much.

The one and ONLY odd thing is does it is when your foot is off the gas pedal then you stomp on it... there is a short (1/2 sec) delay before it really goes for full power. My guess is this is a stupidity check to keep people from ramming into their garage wall. It is like the computer says… full throttle…. Are you sure… well OK you got it.

Compared to the E36 and E46 M3 the engine is just not able to rev as quickly. I do not think it's slower rev speed is the fault of drive by wire, I think it has to do with mechanical differences. Maybe it is nothing more than a heavier fly-wheel?

Once you are on the gas and driving like at an autox cross I find the E46 DBW system to be very precise and satisfactory to my needs. Honestly no complaints at all for competition use.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts