BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
In addition to easier and better integration of functions like DSC, cruise contolr and ABS, lower maintenance, easier assembly (and makes left and right hand drive variants easier to implement) The new Valvetronic engines absolutely require DBW because there is not throttle body plate that can just be opened and closed-- the valve lift has to be adjusted mechanically and controlled via a computer. As another poster said, I'm sure BMW wants to reduce the number of component they use as much as possible-- and they've probably designed their DBW modules to "plug and play" with either the normal throttle bodies in the 6 cylinders or the valvetronic controller in the 4 cylinder models (maybe the same controller is even also used on the valvetronic 8).

I don't like the plasticky sticky feel of the BMW's current implementation of the "pedal simulator" module-- but don't forget-- the system used in the 99 and 00 was not reallly a pure mechanical system either. You were actuating a linkage, but the linkage was connected to an electronically controlled throttle body which controlled a motorized throttle butterfly. Basically you were pulling on a long wire that was connected to a spring loaded actuator. The feel "seemed" better you but you were no more "connected" to the throttle. Although I guess this older system probably transmitted vibrations from the engine compartment. THe e36 may have even used a similar system but i'm not sure (i bet it did). I bet if BMW put their minds to it they could make the new pedal simulator feel just as good as the old one. Unfortunately, they seemed to just totally cheap out and made a pedal that feels like it belongs to a cheap video game system. I'm hoping that the revised "non sticky" pedal that's available now will be a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Does everyone really think there's a delay w/ all DBW cars? My 325i doesn't seem to have any delay. I have noticed that 330s w/ automatic transmissions exhibit delays-- but i've never noticed it on any of the manual cars-- especially 325s. In fact, I think my DBW feels more responsive than the 323s and 328s i've driven. I would still prefer a better pedal feel-- but I think once my sticky pedal is replaced-- i'll be very happy w/ it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.