BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving a 330 back to back with my car, I think that I prefer the 330's throttle.

I find it very responsive and easy to rev match. It does have some downsides, the tip in can be a bit jerky because it is so light and DBW does not have a mechanical feel which some find important.

But, for enthusiast driving, I think the DBW offeres a precise adjustment and is very responsive to blips. Easy to rev-match exactly every time :) Mostly due to the lightness and the responsiveness of the non-mechanical system. R&T loved it in the M3 during that handling test, I agree. Although, M engines are even more responsive. I have never noticed "sticky" throttle though....

I was wearing my Piloti driving shoes, btw :p

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
DBW was released in 2001 because of the M3 and the 318i. BMW is too cheap to have multiple assemblies running around, so... I bet throttle response in the 318i is FANTASTIC, as well.
I don't think so. The M3 has individual throttle bodies, which requires DBW. There would be no need to have DBW in the non-Ms because of the M3. The M5 was being produced alongside 528s and other E39s with mechanical throttles.

DBW was probably necessary for the SMG system on 325s and 330s

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
in_d_haus said:
I like the DBW overall and think it's the wave of the future. It is not perfect but I'm sure it will just get better.

I drove a friends '97 M3 and hated how heavy the throttle was.
I agree, it is not perfect. But, I think it is better. The lighter throttle makes driving, especially enthusiast driving and heel-toe downshifting easier. Also, it is good for DSC and SMG.

What did you have before the 325Ci?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
TD said:

You boggle my mind. The damn thing won't blip, so how in the world can it make heel-toe EASIER? That defies reason. And it's quite the opposite of the truth.

But having the three of four DBW defenders as the only guys contributing to this thread keeps this from being in any way a balanced discussion.

So I'm out...
It does, and is very easy to blip :)

I think this particular 330 was an Oct. 00 build :D

We have several enthusasts here that agree and my observations back to back yesterday tell me that the DBW is much easier to rev-match :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
CD-55 said:

Mine is also an 00 Oct build... It is very good, but I think the M3 (E46 and E36) are even better because the rev faster and without the slightest delay.
I really can't understand why people hate DBW. The only thing that it lacks over earlier models is a heavy, mechanical feel. That's it really, from my experience. It responds more quickly, is lighter, and easier to drive and rev-match.

The M cars are mechanically more responsive than non-Ms, the E46 M3 has 6 different throttles :bigpimp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.