BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
DBW was released in 2001 because of the M3 and the 318i. BMW is too cheap to have multiple assemblies running around, so... I bet throttle response in the 318i is FANTASTIC, as well.

·
10,856 Posts
Ack said:
Can the DBW cause a mild "rocking" feeling when accelerating in first gear? I notice this happens sometimes with my car. I shift, step on the gas and the car feels like it rocking or jerky up until I take my foot off the gas and re-apply it. :dunno:
Sounds to me like a screwed up first gear engagement... The problem with DBW is there is very little feel, so this sort of thing is easy.

·
10,856 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I don't think so. The M3 has individual throttle bodies, which requires DBW. There would be no need to have DBW in the non-Ms because of the M3. The M5 was being produced alongside 528s and other E39s with mechanical throttles.

DBW was probably necessary for the SMG system on 325s and 330s
Nate! The 318i has Valvetronic, too!:banghead:

·
10,856 Posts
robg said:
Does everyone really think there's a delay w/ all DBW cars? My 325i doesn't seem to have any delay. I have noticed that 330s w/ automatic transmissions exhibit delays-- but i've never noticed it on any of the manual cars-- especially 325s. In fact, I think my DBW feels more responsive than the 323s and 328s i've driven. I would still prefer a better pedal feel-- but I think once my sticky pedal is replaced-- i'll be very happy w/ it.
Yes, I do.

Every time I've let my sister drive my car, she *****es about the throttle lag, too. (I'd never even mentioned it to her beforehand.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.