BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And then there's a number of issues. The valve cover on the passenger side leaks like crazy, the steering doesn't want to turn, and there is still a start up clatter that happens when the car has been sitting more than a couple minutes. So now I'm looking into taking it back apart to rebuild the Vanos and address the oil leak, and I'm really hoping the steering issue is due to a gummed up u-joint, given it sat for a couple months in a lot where the ground was made of dirt with the consistency of flour. There also sounds like what might be a very mild exhaust leak, but that could be the Vanos. I was ready to take it for its first proper test drive, too. :(

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
15,718 Posts
How did you determine that the valve guides were faulty? There have been no reports, AFAIK, that the guides fail.

The oil filter canister has a check valve in the bottom to keep it full. The filter normally keeps the valve closed. If you used an off-brand filter, it may not be keeping the valve closed.

The car can set for weeks w/o the canister draining out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you determine that the valve guides were faulty? There have been no reports, AFAIK, that the guides fail.

The oil filter canister has a check valve in the bottom to keep it full. The filter normally keeps the valve closed. If you used an off-brand filter, it may not be keeping the valve closed.

The car can set for weeks w/o the canister draining out.
I mistyped, sorry, I'm a bit tired today. I meant chain guides, not valve guides. I used a Mann oil filter.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
If you don’t want to mess around with rebuilding the vanos I have them already rebuilt and ready to ship out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you don’t want to mess around with rebuilding the vanos I have them already rebuilt and ready to ship out.
I appreciate that, though most of the trouble in rebuilding them seems to be in the form of getting to them and reassembling everything. What would you like for your set and would you want the cores?

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I charge $425, and will refund you $100 when you return your old vanos units.
They are rebuilt using Beisan System o-rings.
That price includes Priority shipping to you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I charge $425, and will refund you $100 when you return your old vanos units.
They are rebuilt using Beisan System o-rings.
That price includes Priority shipping to you.
I appreciate it, Jim. I'll think about it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack, here’s more info and how to eliminate the $100 core charge.
FS - Rebuilt M62tu vanos (added more info and pics)...
Okay, cool! It didn't rattle this morning when I started it, now I'm wondering if some things needed time to re-oil themselves and settle in after being totally apart for 3 weeks and a number of components replaced. But I still have to go back and fix the coolant leaks and now I have this to deal with. Could a failing alternator cause this? I know the battery light is on and the Trans. Failsafe Prog light was triggered.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 198 K milesmiles
1,907 Posts
Yes it could.
The water cooled alternator may not be kicking because of the coolant leak. And a bad or weak alternator weakens the battery pretty fast, which then causes the transmission fail-safe mode.

So, after doing the timing chain / Vanos thing,
1. Fix the coolant leak. Make sure the whole cooling system is in good shape.
2. Recharge or replace the battery, and test check the alternator. Replace it if defective (red battery light).

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
The alternator doesn’t know anything about you coolant level, a leak, or what day it is.
I’d first try this. Turn the key to position 2, don’t start the engine or step on the gas pedal, the DME will make the throttle body open and close to re-learn it’s position based on the resistance of the 2 pots inside it.
After 30+ seconds it will have finished. Turn the key off and then start the engine, see if it still surges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts