BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the air bag ECU out of my E39, yr2000 , 528i .
Nothing at all happened . NO surprise explosions , car runs fine and all functions work as they should .
I took it out to send it away to have error messages and faults cleared after the airbag light came on after the battery was not disconnected properly for the drivers seat to be removed ( seat motor problems )
So, I thought I,d let you know. You can take it out . Your car will drive as normal and the bonus is the airbag light is out ! .
THe ECU is out to be sent for a reset and when it gets back I,ll put it back in, and in the meantime the car is just like all my other cars before airbags . I actually feel somewhat liberated !
Only one problem , not exactly sure as to where the ECU needs to go too. Any recommendations ?
cheers
les

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
You don't need to that, any generic scanner can clear that code/light.
You need take it out only when it's not responding anymore or you have a fault code on the unit itself and it needs replacing. It needs to be sent out only when it was in an accident and needs a eeprom flash to clear the crash data.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
You will feel "fully liberated" only after a head on collision due to this " mod". Just like the James Dean did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need to that, any generic scanner can clear that code/light.
You need take it out only when it's not responding anymore or you have a fault code on the unit itself and it needs replacing. It needs to be sent out only when it was in an accident and needs a eeprom flash to clear the crash data.

more info for you. The ECU error code is 240 , and thats why its out . No crash happened. Only bad techinqiue by mechanic who didn,t disconnect the battery to take the seat out .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will feel "fully liberated" only after a head on collision due to this " mod". Just like the James Dean did.

James Dean was killed in his porche racing to the Salinas racing track . Estimates of the speed of impact were 87 mph ( 137 km/hr ) his car mechanic who was in the car as well, survived but was seriuosly injured . Mechanic Wütherich, whose feelings of guilt after the car accident never abated, tried to commit suicide twice during the 1960s—and in 1967, he stabbed his wife 14 times with a kitchen knife in a failed murder/suicide—and he died in a drunk-driving accident in 1981 .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Obviously you didn't taste the joke, anyway, check the video that I posted for you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
more info for you. The ECU error code is 240 , and thats why its out . No crash happened. Only bad techinqiue by mechanic who didn,t disconnect the battery to take the seat out .
I read your initial post, you didn't mention anything about any internal ecu error. That's why I listed the options for you.
In this case is cheaper to change than to send out. It was in my case. The procedure is the same as for the crash data memory erase. Those units MRS3 especially p.n.6900727 are prone to fail in that specific way. Flashing the Eeprom is a 50-50 chance of success. Solution is to switch to MRS4 , which involves replacing the side impact sensors also and recoding the module.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Then I don't understand why you are saying you don't know where it goes back in. It's the reverse process of removing it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If the ecu hasn't been sent to be flashed out yet then it's easier to buy a junk yard one and just replace it, same p.n. though. You'll need just coding to the nr. of airbags present on your car otherwise it will throw a light.
In Europe it's not very popular to flash them.
In US and UK yes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then I don't understand why you are saying you don't know where it goes back in. It's the reverse process of removing it.

what I said was ..Only one problem , not exactly sure as to where the ECU needs to go too . Meaning who can repair them . where shall I send it to?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts