BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been about 2 weeks now that I've had my beloved '02 325Ci, and I've finally made a return to having a manual transmission. My buddies and I were having a smoke in a nearby shopping center parking lot; and as men standing by our cars, we talked about cars the whole night. I mentioned to them that I haven't yet "peeled-out/burned-out/spun my tires" in my car, and I told them that I didn't think it was possible.

So I got in my car, turned off the DSC, put the gear in 1st, held the clutch in, revved to about 6,000 RPM, and let go of the clutch. Nothing happened! No tires screeching, to smell of burnt rubber, nothing! The car just took off, and it almost seemed as though the engine was trying to catch up to the RPMs. I was disappointed that I couldn't create this display of testosserone...what was I doing wrong? Are these BMWs just built to not spin their tires? Is there something else I need to do? Let me know fellas...

-Faheem

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Yikes... how did that clutch smell after that? :yikes: A new clutch doesn't come cheap. I hope you're at least beyond the break-in period. Big brother is watching you know. :p

If you really want your tires to spin, carry a flask with Armor-All in it. Your buddies will think you're a drunk, but who cares - it will be worth it! The next time you're hanging out in the parking lot, dump a liberal helping of Armor-All on the tread of your rear tires when nobody is looking (for extra fun, do the fronts too!). I promise you that with DSC shut off you'll be able to spin your tires all you want if you drop the clutch even at 900RPM with a little gas. Not only will your buddies be amazed, but your clutch will last longer too! :thumbup:

--SONET

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch emitted a nasty scent...don't worry, I'm way passed my break-in period. Good lookin' out though!

I'll try out the Armor All trick...but is there any way I can spin the tires without all this? Or has BMW built their cars so its not possible?

-Faheem

·
AWD? In California?
133 Posts
Ok... in order to spin the tires, your momentary wheel torque application by the engine has to exceed the maximum torque exertable by static friction by the tires. In other words, lack of wheelspin can be attributed to many things:

1) Your engine does not have enough torque. (btw, max torque occurs at around 3500RPM, not 6000RPM)
2) Your clutch slips when you drop it. (especially if you have a CDV, which i don't think the 325Cis have)
3) Your tires are extra-sticky.

If any of these apply to you, then to increase your ability to spin the wheels, fix the individual items. Not enough torque? Perhaps you should consider getting a car with a bigger engine. Not enough clutch bite? Perhaps it needs to be replaced. Tires too soft? Try mounting a set of harder economy/all-season tires on.

The Armor-All trick works by reducing the tires' ability to grip (i.e. reducing the max. static friction coefficient), so they're more willing to let go if the proper instantaneous torque is applied.

My personal take on displays of excess testosterone is that they are completely unnecessary. Everything speaks against ie, i.e.:
1) They kill your tires.
2) They kill your clutch.
3) They shock the drivetrain considerably.
4) Pouring Armor-All on your tires will have definite negative safety effects if any of it remains on the tire after you're done.
5) They do nothing to show off the performance of the car, rather, they show off the power of the engine/weakness of the tires.

Be glad that your car had the torque to take a clutch dump and launch the car. Most cars (esp. 4-cylinders) would sputter and stall if you tried something like that.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just a point of clarification (I don't know if this is the problem or not)....the DSC light on the dash has to be ON for the DSC to be OFF. Default is always light OFF, DSC ON.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Be sure to hold the DSC button in for a full 5 seconds - this disables it completely. Haven't done this in awhile but I believe that after 5 secs the brake light on the dash will come on in yellow. I'd stay away from greasing the tires - if you get moving fast after lighting up the tires, you'll want to be able to stop in a hurry if you need to.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thats a lot of work for 5 speed...

With Step, I just turn the DSC off (5 sec), left foot on the brake and right full on the gas... I get a nice light up and I don't have to worry about stopping since the car isn't moving anywhere. For added fun, turn the wheel and let the brake out a lil... but 2 times around's my limit... I get :eeps:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
On any of the 3 series produced after 9/00 you will need to hold down DSC for 3+ seconds to also disable dynamic brake control. Hold down DSC until the brake warning comes on, otherwise the DBC will sense an impending spin of the rear tire and apply the rear brakes independently to prevent the spin. Turning off DSC alone won't do it.

[edit] Even on my lowly 323Ci, with the stickiest tires (S-03) and a 50,000 mile clutch I can still chirp the tires occasionally and do a peel out if I tried. And I agree with the pants and ruler post too. :lmao:

·
Registered
547 Posts
i think you just need more power.. my friend has a 530I and he has tried to spin his wheels... but it doesnt really work... on wet pavement it does.. but u dont get the smoke... it is really pointless.. i have done it a few times in an empty parking lot and its really fun... but not worth spending money on tires... i had to change the rears out at about 3000 miles...:thumbdwn: tires dont come cheap either....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:

I'll try out the Armor All trick...but is there any way I can spin the tires without all this? Or has BMW built their cars so its not possible?

-Faheem
dude, let's not try to kill ourselves... don't armor all your tires... jebus....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'm not really going to try to smoke my tires again. I really don't think its necessary, the only reason why I did it in the first place is because I didn't think it was possible, and I wanted to prove a point to my buddies. I mean, its a BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine...not an old POS muscle car or anything. :D

-Faheem

·
Registered
291 Posts
Even if you're successful at this stunt, you're only going to get one tire spinning (right tire, if I'm not mistaken). The only 3-series that comes with a limited-slip differential is the M3.

If you're really bent on smoking that right tire, you can do the automatic 'power brake' with a manual, too. Once you engage the clutch (with the tire hopefully spinning), you have to quickly get on the brake pedal with your left foot. Then just sit there and smoke-away to your heart's content (or something breaks...).

Frankly, though, this sort of thing doesn't work well and isn't much fun on IRS cars. It takes too much effort for it to work on a car without much torque, and if there is enough torque, you'll likely get rear-axle hop (the bouncing of which feels like the rear axle is going to fall out).

Best to leave this activity to the mullet-heads in their live-axle Trans-Ams, Z28s and Mustang GTs...

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
ruteger said:
Even if you're successful at this stunt, you're only going to get one tire spinning (right tire, if I'm not mistaken). The only 3-series that comes with a limited-slip differential is the M3.
I've spun both my rears on my 330... and I don't have an LSD, as you correctly point out.

:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
Yeah, I'm not really going to try to smoke my tires again. I really don't think its necessary, the only reason why I did it in the first place is because I didn't think it was possible, and I wanted to prove a point to my buddies. I mean, its a BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine...not an old POS muscle car or anything. :D

-Faheem
Faheem, did you hold down DSC for 3+ seconds and did the brake warning light come on when you tried spinning your tires?

If not, it is IMPOSSIBLE to spin/peel out with dynamic brake control still active.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:

dude, let's not try to kill ourselves... don't armor all your tires... jebus....
:yikes:
My post was intended as a joke, I guess it didn't come out that way. Two tires would be really unsafe, four is insane even in a large empty parking lot with a 4WD vehicle. Don't ask me how I know. :D

--SONET

1 - 20 of 26 Posts