BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way the current M3 looks. The 2 door is one of the sweetest cars out there. Maybe this is the way it should be for a sports car.

However I know there are a lot of us just itching for a 4 door0 sports sedan M3 version. We would spend the money on this type of car with no problems at all. There is something more practical about having a 4 door car, that makes the decision much easier for a lot of us.

Some of you out there already have your 330i's souped up that they look like a M3 Sedan. So this gives the rest of us some idea of what we see in a future M3 Sedan.

I wonder if anyone has actually turned to the C Class AMG 4 Door Sedan as an alternative.

I'll get the 330i now and wait patiently for the M3 sedan in a couple of years.

·
10,856 Posts
Slusbox. It is in no way an alternative. Buy an Audi.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
Ugh, the interior materials for the C32 are awful. :thumbdwn: I'd highly suggest looking elsewhere for a 4 door performance car.

Like JPinTO said, the Audi S4 looks promising, though the opposite problem of the C32 exists... It's not very appealing on the outside. Well, maybe it's just me. Looks a bit bloated like the G35 with the large slab sides.

Anyway I tend to be on the inside of my car more than I do outside, so the interior gets priority from me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think the C32 is hell of a car as far as compact sports sedans go. Too bad I have this thing against superchargers. M3 sedan would be sweet, but I don't think I can afford the depreciation on my 330i and pay the difference and step up. It would have been more feasible if I bought the M3 in the first place.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would love a 4 door M3. I would sell my 330i, dip into savings and get it right away. I have absolutely no idea why BMW does not offer it in a sedan trim like they used to. I just don't like coupes. They are absolutely not my cup of tea. Why oh why BMW???????????????????????????????????????????????
My money is waiting for you future m3/4.......................

·
Registered
258 Posts
A friend of mine has a C32. It's extremely fast, very solid, handles great - a very capable sports sedan. I'm not a fan of the interior, though - I don't like the lack of quality materials, and I dislike the instrumentation. For many people, no manual is a deal-breaker, but I drive in very heavily congested stop and go traffic more often than I'd like (ar least once a day), so I prefer an automatic for my daily driver.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dan said:
A friend of mine has a C32. It's extremely fast, very solid, handles great - a very capable sports sedan. I'm not a fan of the interior, though - I don't like the lack of quality materials, and I dislike the instrumentation. For many people, no manual is a deal-breaker, but I drive in very heavily congested stop and go traffic more often than I'd like (ar least once a day), so I prefer an automatic for my daily driver.
You bring up a good point a M3 Sedan with Automatic would appeal to a lot of people out there. It would not only serve as you sports car on the weekend, but also you daily commuter car. And oh what fun that car would be to commute back and forth to work!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
BMW doesn't bring an M3 4 door out for one simple reason...they don't sell well. The development costs are too high to justify the low sales figures. The E36 M3/4 does not ell well in Europe. In the US the M3/4 made up a bit over 50% of M3 sales for the 2 years it was on sale BUT the lease prices were heavily subsidized by BMW NA....therefore profit per car was much less for the sedan than for the coupe.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
fuz said:

Like JPinTO said, the Audi S4 looks promising, though the opposite problem of the C32 exists... It's not very appealing on the outside. Well, maybe it's just me. Looks a bit bloated like the G35 with the large slab sides.
Taste is subjective of course, but I find the new A4 gorgeous. Every one that drives by gets a lot of my eyeball time. Unfortunately, it's the opposite effect for the redesigned 325i.

Hopefully the new S4 will be a bit jazzed up over the A4 than the previous S4.

I'm not holding my breath that BMW will bring out a M3/4... but we may be surprised when the S4 hits the streets. If S4 reliability is decent, I'm moving over to Audi.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Played tag with a C32 AMG on the way home from work last week. Looked good on the outside and off the line the 330 would be no match for it. I was able to hold my own handling-wise and the C32 was keeping up but not able to pass me when I got in front of it. While driving in light traffic and punching the accelerator from 50-85 and 85-115, the 330 was capable of holding the AMG at bay. :D I don't mind the BMW image but the Mercedes image :thumbdwn: For ~9K less I'd rather have the 330, the only thing it has more of is HP.

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,639 Posts
ObD said:
While driving in light traffic and punching the accelerator from 50-85 and 85-115, the 330 was capable of holding the AMG at bay. :D I don't mind the BMW image but the Mercedes image :thumbdwn: For ~9K less I'd rather have the 330, the only thing it has more of is HP.
Of course, for that $9k, you can get a supercharger for the 330 and beat the C32. :)

Ed

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Bruce said:
BMW doesn't bring an M3 4 door out for one simple reason...they don't sell well. The development costs are too high to justify the low sales figures. The E36 M3/4 does not ell well in Europe. In the US the M3/4 made up a bit over 50% of M3 sales for the 2 years it was on sale BUT the lease prices were heavily subsidized by BMW NA....therefore profit per car was much less for the sedan than for the coupe.
I was unaware of the subsidized pricing. Thanks for sharing, now I can say that when people say that the M3/4 sold more than the M3/2.

Another reason that many haven't mentioned is the fact that S54 engines are already being built at plant capacity, with the wait on M3's still much longer than other E46's. It would be foolish to further lengthen the wait for buyers.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Mystikal said:
Another reason that many haven't mentioned is the fact that S54 engines are already being built at plant capacity, with the wait on M3's still much longer than other E46's. It would be foolish to further lengthen the wait for buyers.
That is also true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts