Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I'm really looking at trading in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and getting back in a Bimmer. The wagons not only appeal to me for their sexiness but versatility with the kids and dog!

Right now I've spotted a few '14 328i and D around town for sale that are right within my budget.

Being out of the BMW game for so long, things have changed from my e36/e46/e39 days. How are the 328 motors? both gas and diesel? can you get decent HP gains out of these motors, which would be best? damn shame they didn't make the 335 in a wagon. I have seen the 17's but those are 58k and over budget!

Are there specific things I should look out for when shopping around? anything I need to be aware of about F30/F31's?

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The most recent model will get you all of the updates. My experience with the N20 is that it has plenty of power and can deliver 40 mpg on the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2015 328d. I average over 35MPG combined, and around 43MPG on the highway. I live in Seattle, and the diesel engine is really nice for hill climbing. My wagon has the adaptive suspension option, which I believe more knowledgeable users of this forum will tell you is important for how the wagon is set up. So far, I've had zero technical problems, not even a rattle. The ride is a bit tame, there's no question about that, although switching to conventional tires definitely helped. (Who needs a spare when you have a cell phone?) This is the first vehicle I've ever owned with AT, and I was surprised how easily I got used to it; it shifts seamlessly. And I think the wagon has beautiful lines. Not sure why people buy sedans, frankly.

So far, nothing in the news that implicates BMW and this model in the diesel scandal, but you can't ignore that possibility. I would imagine the risk is depressing the price of diesels in the used car market, so that might actually work to your advantage, if you can find one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most recent model will get you all of the updates. My experience with the N20 is that it has plenty of power and can deliver 40 mpg on the road.
I’d love to go with the new 335 2017’s but ~57k is out of my price range lol. Looking used for now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2015 328d. I average over 35MPG combined, and around 43MPG on the highway. I live in Seattle, and the diesel engine is really nice for hill climbing. My wagon has the adaptive suspension option, which I believe more knowledgeable users of this forum will tell you is important for how the wagon is set up. So far, I've had zero technical problems, not even a rattle. The ride is a bit tame, there's no question about that, although switching to conventional tires definitely helped. (Who needs a spare when you have a cell phone?) This is the first vehicle I've ever owned with AT, and I was surprised how easily I got used to it; it shifts seamlessly. And I think the wagon has beautiful lines. Not sure why people buy sedans, frankly.

So far, nothing in the news that implicates BMW and this model in the diesel scandal, but you can't ignore that possibility. I would imagine the risk is depressing the price of diesels in the used car market, so that might actually work to your advantage, if you can find one.
Thank you for the feedback, None of the used cars I’ve been looking at have the adaptive suspension would you say this is a must? How do you feel about the power and the 328 diesel? Do you have any mods like tune exhaust etc

·
Registered
484 Posts
2016 had LCI updates, but if those are out of your budget, get a 2014+ which had a navigation update that year. And since all F31s are xDrive, I'd recommend you look for one with adaptive suspension.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would say that the residual hasn't been affected by that.

I have car gurus set to email me when new 328d wagon listings go up. At least in the CA area, I've only recently seen one that was under 50k mi and under $30k (2014 for $29,995). It was very basically equipped too. Prior to that I saw one listed at that price with like 75k mi on it, and another at $26-27k, but salvage title.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a '14 328d and a '15 M235. The 235 has the adaptive suspension while the wagon does not. I know this sounds out of the norm but for everyday driving I like the wagon's non-adaptive better.They struck the perfect compromise IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was not aware of the adaptive suspension. Will definitely keep an eye out for that!
I've got a '15 328d M-Sport wagon with adaptive suspension. These options make it a pretty uncommon car. The later MY15 builds like mine have many of the mechanical LCI updates but the pre-LCI look (which I personally prefer).

Mileage: 35 on a bad tank, 40+ on a good one. Diesel is usually cheaper than premium gas too.

Performance: The d is not fast. With the adaptive suspension it handles great, however. If you want to modify it with aftermarket parts, the i is the only way to go. I commute with my d and I have another fun car so it serves my purposes perfectly.

Looks: M-Sport F31s are gorgeous in my opinion.

Reliability: The xDrive transfer case seems to be a weak point. The F3X N47 engines are reliable. Older ones suffered from timing chain issues.

Attachments

·
F30 Driver
102 Posts
I don't have a wagon, but the 2.0 TwinPower Twin-Turbo I4 has the same power, if not a bit more, than the old 3.0 N/A (Naturally Aspirated) I6 that BMW had been using for years. I went from an '06 525xi E60 with the N/A I6 to a '14 328i xDrive F30 with the Turbo I4. I'm noticing more power out the F30 328i xDrive, and more "peppiness", if you will, and not just because the 3 is a lighter and smaller car than the 5.

Only thing that bugs me is the Auto Stop/Start. It shuts the car off when you come to a stop, and restarts it once you lift your foot off the brake pedal. You CAN'T permanently disable it. You HAVE to press the 'A' button above the Start/Stop button EACH TIME you start the vehicle in order to have it shut off, and it turns back on the next time you start the vehicle. I know it's for better MPG, but it scared me the first time I ever drove my F30. Guess I'll be getting used to it. :(

Other than that, it's a great engine, and will get in the low 30 MPG's highway. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
You CAN'T permanently disable it. You HAVE to press the 'A' button above the Start/Stop button EACH TIME you start the vehicle in order to have it shut off, and it turns back on the next time you start the vehicle.
Can be easily coded out. Took maybe 15 minutes to set mine so that Auto Start/Stop is turned off by default.

In fact that's a good tip for OP - modern BMWs are a coding playground. Don't like the way it does something? Change it. I miss my e46, but I also love how easy it was to make my F31 "mine."

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't have a wagon, but the 2.0 TwinPower Twin-Turbo I4 has the same power, if not a bit more, than the old 3.0 N/A (Naturally Aspirated) I6 that BMW had been using for years. I went from an '06 525xi E60 with the N/A I6 to a '14 328i xDrive F30 with the Turbo I4. I'm noticing more power out the F30 328i xDrive, and more "peppiness", if you will, and not just because the 3 is a lighter and smaller car than the 5.

Only thing that bugs me is the Auto Stop/Start. It shuts the car off when you come to a stop, and restarts it once you lift your foot off the brake pedal. You CAN'T permanently disable it. You HAVE to press the 'A' button above the Start/Stop button EACH TIME you start the vehicle in order to have it shut off, and it turns back on the next time you start the vehicle. I know it's for better MPG, but it scared me the first time I ever drove my F30. Guess I'll be getting used to it. :(

Other than that, it's a great engine, and will get in the low 30 MPG's highway. :)
I had a 2014 328i X Drive and always kept the auto stop start off all of the time. I'd press the button above the start/stop button and it would remain off until it was activated/turned on again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can turn off the auto stop/start feature.

As far as motor, I have the N20 in my 2016 and it has been great for performance and economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
311 Posts
Salesman called me this morning and said this car has some Dinan mods on it, he wasn't sure but he said he was told stage 1? I asked him to confirm if it's just the chip or exhaust etc
Depending upon the original delivery date of this wagon it still may have some BMW warranty left on it. The original warranty and maintenance was 4 years / 50,000 miles.
Check it out.
Good luck!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The N20 in the 328 is certainly a jewel of an engine. I have 30k miles on mine and it seems to get better as life goes on. Sounds better, pulls better and the engine clicking thing seems to be less after a good aggressive run. There is a bit of turbo lag, but much less in sport mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 20 of 26 Posts