BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my AC is blowing air but its not cold. Ive read all the threads on here that relate to my problem but none give me one answer. My question is should i just go get it checked up at a local auto AC shop and have them fully inspect it or should i have them replace something specifically? since my air does blow,,its just not blowing cold air.

·
obsessed
806 Posts
look at the a/c compressor to see if it is engaged when on. and also make sure when its off it should be fully disengaged. this is on the front of the compressor. the belt always turns but a/c only works when compressor is engaged. if it works right then just have it recharged. if not the new compressor and drier and then recharge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look at the a/c compressor to see if it is engaged when on. and also make sure when its off it should be fully disengaged. this is on the front of the compressor. the belt always turns but a/c only works when compressor is engaged. if it works right then just have it recharged. if not the new compressor and drier and then recharge.
and if the compressor is not engaged when the ac is on?

·
Registered
476 Posts
correct

the ac switch has gone out in my car twice (so i was told) if u take the wire and put power to it when car is running u can check if it engages or not

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
so the compressor is the only thing thats keeping the cold air from coming out?
the compressor compresses the freon (kinda like a turbo) and moves the freon through the system. after the freon reaches its coldest point, it runs through tubes that is within the ducting system (think of a heater core and how the air moves through the core and heats the car, same basic idea). so if the compressor isnt working, the freon wont move through the system.

also another thing to look at, is when was the last time the car have an ac service? the freon could be long gone, and in need of some freon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys..im gonna check the compressor to see if it engages when the ac is on. If it does then i just need to get it recharged right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i called about ten places and they all wanted to do a diagnosis, even when i only asked for a recharge, but one shop was really nice and said they could do the recharge only..and for 140 so i went there.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
Be aware. Your compressor is 20 years old along with everything else. This could nichol dime you to death. I would have them do a pressure check on it before spending $$ on freon, they may put in freon and it seems OK for a while but in a week or so your right back where you started. You may have a leak in the compressor or condenser or evapaorator or hoses. My 1st guess would be the condenser that's the small radiator in front of the big one. Ther is a bracket that attaches this part to the body it rusts and leaks there. 2nd guess compressor there are seals that dry out inside the compressor that will allow freon to escape. You may want to have the whole system checked and converted to the cheaper fren instead of the r12 which is very expensive. Don't let BMW do it, it'll cost you mors than what the cars worth.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
If the only problem is a faulty switch that would be great. I hope thats all it is. But if you do apply power to the switch and the clutch still won't turn do not suspect a faulty clutch until you are sure there is enough freon in it. Reason being is that there is a pressure switch located by the drier that will open if it senses low freon pressure and disable the clutch. This is done to prevent you from running the compressor that is low on freon and ruining it.

·
obsessed
806 Posts
i blew out the drier one time by putting too much r134. it was hot and that sucked. but i think compressor still was on.

·
I'll do what I want!
288 Posts
The compressor had to be on if you blew out the drier. You really should have a pressure gauge connected when addind freon. Even then you need a chart that will tell you what psi you need in relationship to the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i got my car back and the ac is working fine now. The total price was $226. They cleaned my ac compressor connector because he said it was really filthy, recharged my ac and added 2.4 pounds of freon. But im happy with the outcome :)

·
Suffering from BMWitis
96 Posts
well i got my car back and the ac is working fine now. The total price was $226. They cleaned my ac compressor connector because he said it was really filthy, recharged my ac and added 2.4 pounds of freon. But im happy with the outcome :)
That's great that they got it working, however-I would be willing to bet you money that soon you will lose the freon again. Any time you have a leak, you should at least recharge the system with some dye to find the source. But I can tell you, that on an E30 the part that is more prone to leakage that any other component is the expansion valve that is connected to the evaporator under the dash.

When you have to take it in for service again, have them replace the expansion valve, the receiver/dryer, and the o-rings in the system. Be very, very wary of Freeze12 and other substitutes in what was originally an R12 based system. You can still buy R12 if you know where to look, and it will work the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts