BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our itinerary has us at the Nurburgring on Sunday, May 22. By that time we'll have over 1200 miles on the car and be out of the break-in period. The car is not an M3 with a required under-warranty oil change, but for long-term piece of mind, I'd like to get the oil changed before we head out on the Ring. Of course I won't be able to do it myself while in Germany, so I need to find someplace to get this done.

I have several possible spots in our itinerary when this could be done:

1. Somewhere near the Nurburgring late Sunday morning, depending on how long it will take.
  2. In Cologne, early on Sunday morning before we head for the Ring
  3. In Cologne late Saturday afternoon after we arrive
  4. In Heidelberg early Saturday morning before we head for Cologne
  5. In Stuttgart late Friday afternoon before heading for Heidelberg
  6. In Stuttgart early Friday morning
  7. In Stuttgart late Thursday afternoon, around 16:00

I'm pretty sure that because it will be Sunday that options 1 & 2 are out. I think that option 3 might out because it will be late Saturday afternoon and also possibly option #4 because it's Saturday. But I really don't know. The options that seem most possible are options 5, 6, and 7, all in Stuttgart.

I have no idea how to go about initiating and scheduling this. I looked at the BMW Germany site but couldn't really figure out how to find a dealer or what looks like affiliated repair shops. Will getting my oil changed before the factory recommended interval while in Germany have any effect on my warranty? Doesn't seem like it should.

Any help anyone could give me with this will be appreciated!

·
Registered
21 X5 xDrive40i
640 Posts
BMW is not overly concerned about doing an early breakin oil change. I won't get all OCD about it. I changed mine at 5K after ED redelivery, mainly becasue it was sitting around on the boat/ports for 10 weeks, it was barely dirty. I also lapped "The Green Hell" as well - after all it is required to drive in the Eifel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
do you have a 6-speed MT?

Look into other 1200mi service bulletins b/c I think there is a tranny fluid chage in there at 1200

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW is not overly concerned about doing an early breakin oil change. I won't get all OCD about it. I changed mine at 5K after ED redelivery, mainly becasue it was sitting around on the boat/ports for 10 weeks, it was barely dirty. I also lapped "The Green Hell" as well - after all it is required to drive in the Eifel.
I understand that BMW is not overly concerned, but they're only doing free maintenance on my car for the first 40K/5yrs. After that, I'm paying for the maintenance and anything I can do to insure that my car runs for the 10+ years that I'm planning on owning it is just icing on the cake.

I recently contacted Mike Miller, Technical Editor and author of the Tech Talk column for the Roundel Magazine, to get a copy of his Old School Maintenance Schedule, which is what BMW used to recommend as the maintenance schedule before they offered the free maintenance. His comments: "I have seen that the engine and driveline oils in new modern BMWs are literally full of metal at 1,200 miles - as has always been the case with any new car. For this reason, I recommend a 1,200-mile break-in service." This is not something that he published years ago. The latest revision was done in February.

Is this still absolutely necessary? I don't know, but changing the oil certainly won't hurt. And 4 laps around the Nurburgring is certainly going to run the engine harder than anything you can legally do on the street.

I don't really want this thread to turn into a debate about the pros/cons of a break-in oil change, I would just like some asistance on how I can get this done.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you have a 6-speed MT?

Look into other 1200mi service bulletins b/c I think there is a tranny fluid chage in there at 1200
Yeah, and Mike mentions that BMW used to recommend not only an engine oil change at 1200 miles, but also the tranmission and differential oils. All of my cars have always had a break-in oil change, but not a transmission or differential change. I may do those myself when the car gets back to the US. Those I'm not so concerned about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, and Mike mentions that BMW used to recommend not only an engine oil change at 1200 miles, but also the tranmission and differential oils. All of my cars have always had a break-in oil change, but not a transmission or differential change. I may do those myself when the car gets back to the US. Those I'm not so concerned about.
OK man, your call.

the M3 service bulletin is clear about tranny fluid change at 1200.

Im in a similar boat. Ill be ED in July, have about 1200mi before I go to the ring, in an M3 (I hope!).

I plan on keeping the car a long time and I will def be taking the 'old school' approach. I mean, why not? A few extra oil changes, tranny oil changes, etc for piece of mind.

AND, if you want to more track time at home, maintainence schedule might need "revision"

Edit: Oh, and sorry, I dont know how to accomplish this while in Germany. But, I'll be the beneficiary of your legwork, thank you!

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK man, your call.

Im in a similar boat. Ill be ED in July, have about 1200mi before I go to the ring, in an M3 (I hope!).

I plan on keeping the car a long time and I will def be taking the 'old school' approach. I mean, why not? A few extra oil changes, tranny oil changes, etc for piece of mind.

AND, if you want to more track time at home, maintainence schedule might need "revision"

Edit: Oh, and sorry, I dont know how to accomplish this while in Germany. But, I'll be the beneficiary of your legwork, thank you!
I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not getting an M3 ("the car is not an M3" from the original post), I'm getting a 335is Coupe (see my sig). So the first oil change on my car isn't even required until about 15,000 miles! I'll have changed the oil at least 2-3 times by then if I can get it changed at 1200 miles. I don't think BMW specifies any transmission or differential oil changes at all for the 335, or not until about 100,000 miles!

So yeah, I'm going to follow Mike's "Old School Maintenance Schedule" with oil changes at 5K and the transmission and differential oils both changed at 30K even though they're not included in the current BMW free maintenance schedule.

So,
. Anybody know how I can get my oil changed in Germany?

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
How about going with the flow? They have cars in Germany too - an oil change is an oil change - any mechanic can do it. Just ask at the hotel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not getting an M3 ("the car is not an M3" from the original post), I'm getting a 335is Coupe (see my sig). So the first oil change on my car isn't even required until about 15,000 miles! I'll have changed the oil at least 2-3 times by then if I can get it changed at 1200 miles. I don't think BMW specifies any transmission or differential oil changes at all for the 335, or not until about 100,000 miles!

So yeah, I'm going to follow Mike's "Old School Maintenance Schedule" with oil changes at 5K and the transmission and differential oils both changed at 30K even though they're not included in the current BMW free maintenance schedule.

So,
. Anybody know how I can get my oil changed in Germany?
I'm sensing sarcasm, not necessay really. I'm just trying to give info from which you can process, and disregard if you wish. My general point is that the M3 has what seems to be a rigorous maintenance schedule. I can't imagine the 335is deserves less than that, especially given your plans for spirited driving. I personally don't agree with what BMW "recommends". Is the gearbox in a 335is that much more bullet-proof than an M3 as to not warrant a fluid changes?

As for staying on topic (as to 'how' to get your oil changed, not 'why') you asked "Is this still absolutely necessary?" in regards to the 1200mi service. I was providing a response to that. Upon reread, this may been rhetorical, my bad.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about this too! I'm planning for an August ED and 8-9 days of driving (including a few laps on the Ring towards the end; after the car is broken in). It's very likely that I'll put 1500+ miles on it during this trip. BTW - I'm only getting a 328/335ix.

I just assumed I'd us the Nav to find a local BMW dealer and call them ahead of time and schedule it. I know I won't REALLY need an oil change but, if time permits, it would be neat (in a corny kind of way) to have your first service done in Germany. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about this too! I'm planning for an August ED and 8-9 days of driving (including a few laps on the Ring towards the end; after the car is broken in). It's very likely that I'll put 1500+ miles on it during this trip. BTW - I'm only getting a 328/335ix.

I just assumed I'd us the Nav to find a local BMW dealer and call them ahead of time and schedule it. I know I won't REALLY need an oil change but, if time permits, it would be neat (in a corny kind of way) to have your first service done in Germany. :)
congrats TeddyBGame (williams?), Ha! Sox fan here too.

"only getting a 328/335ix"? - no worries, mate. these are both great cars:thumbup:

Yes, I'll be interested to hear the solutions....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
OK man, your call.

ALL M cars require the 1200 mile service to include Oil & filter, tranny fluid, and differential fluid, will cost you about $500 - '$600 in Europe and must be pre arranged with a dealer if you want it done right. I have had 2 done at the BMW dealer south of Stuttgart in Eislingen.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about going with the flow? They have cars in Germany too - an oil change is an oil change - any mechanic can do it. Just ask at the hotel.
Thanks Chris, I hadn't even considered that! My wife and I tend to be pretty independent when we travel and we rarely use the concierge for anything. This would solve any possible language barrier in doing the actual scheduling as well.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sensing sarcasm, not necessay really. I'm just trying to give info from which you can process, and disregard if you wish. My general point is that the M3 has what seems to be a rigorous maintenance schedule. I can't imagine the 335is deserves less than that, especially given your plans for spirited driving. I personally don't agree with what BMW "recommends". Is the gearbox in a 335is that much more bullet-proof than an M3 as to not warrant a fluid changes?

As for staying on topic (as to 'how' to get your oil changed, not 'why') you asked "Is this still absolutely necessary?" in regards to the 1200mi service. I was providing a response to that. Upon reread, this may been rhetorical, my bad.
There was no sarcasm intended, I merely thought that you might have incorrectly surmised that I had an M3. The point of my reply was to indicate that while the M3 may have a rigorous break-in service the "regular" 335s don't, so I'm not planning on having the drivetrain oils changed in Germany. I just don't have all day to schedule everything but I think that the engine oil the most critical. If I cant have everything done in less than 2 hours I'll do everything. It's all good.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just assumed I'd us the Nav to find a local BMW dealer and call them ahead of time and schedule it.
Thanks, another idea that I hadn't even considered! This is going to be a lot easier than I had anticipated.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ALL M cars require the 1200 mile service to include Oil & filter, tranny fluid, and differential fluid, will cost you about $500 - '$600 in Europe and must be pre arranged with a dealer if you want it done right. I have had 2 done at the BMW dealer south of Stuttgart in Eislingen.
It looks like this dealer was on the way from Munich to Stuttgart. How did you locate this dealer and schedule your appointments ahead of time? We're coming north from Switzerland to Stuttgart and this particular dealer would be out of the way.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nearly everything is closed in DE on Sundays, and many things close early or don't open at all on Saturdays. I would try to find something on Friday. N4S
I was guessing that this was the case based on the tour books that I've been reading. Thanks for confirming!

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
You may want to pick up your filter at your local dealer before going, and have your delivery advisor write down in German what oil grade is needed and the service you want. You may even be able to pick up BMW oil in the Welt gift shop. I would think oil is going to be expensive, since gas is comparatively more expensive in Germany.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It looks like this dealer was on the way from Munich to Stuttgart. How did you locate this dealer and schedule your appointments ahead of time? We're coming north from Switzerland to Stuttgart and this particular dealer would be out of the way.
I have friends in Eislingen so I usually spend a few days there whenever I do an ED, whether MB or BMW. Also one of our favorite dining spots is the Staufeneck Castle and Hotel in Salach. http://www.burg-staufeneck.de/ :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.