Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am tired of working for others, and I have a tremendous entrepreneurial urge... so I want to follow my dreams and open my own upscale European Automotice Repair Service/Showroom just north of Los Angeles.

There is plenty of demand (business out there), and I have the resources (funding) to get the ball rolling... but I don't know anything about the industry/business.

Does anyone have a close friend who owns a shop I can speak to? Does anyone work at a shop and is willing to offer advice? Where should I go for advice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon,

You are THE MAN.

I'll contact him this week. Thanks!

- Mike

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in_d_haus said:
I know a few but I guarantee they will say "Don't do it".
Why? All the local guys are doing very well around here.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
YOU do whatever makes you happy... If you think this is something you would like to do ... GO FOR IT... :thumb:

Keep in mind... you will have long hours, hardly any weekends, you will have to deal with peoples BS, believe me people come back with the stupidest things... you have to smile and just mumble under your breath, because no matter what type of advertising you do, word of mouth is always the best... the first year will be killer, so don't get discouraged... after that it's totally up to you... BUT... the benefits of owning your own business outweigh everything else... trust me... :thumb:

My dad has owned a body shop ever since I was a little baby. I have seen all the good, bad and really ugly that can happen... being in Los Angeles, don't be surprised by some really ugly.... My brother is out of town for the next week or two... he manages the place... I'll have him get in touch with you when he gets back... :D

Whatever you decide to do... Hang in there, don't let anyone discourage you and even if it doesn't work out, which it will, at least you know you gave your dream a try... :thumb: :p

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Sabrina said:
My dad has owned a body shop ever since I was a little baby.
OT maybe, but when did you grow up ? :confused: :D

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Try bimmers clinic

emmision -

George at Bimmers Clinic in Reseda has been around for decades if you want to see a model example of what a BMW service shop is.

www.bimmersclinic.com

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

OT maybe, but when did you grow up ? :confused: :D
I haven't grown up yet and I refuse to do so... :thumb: :p

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Emission said:

Why? All the local guys are doing very well around here.
There is a lot of competition, you need to work hard to become established, and you won't necessarily become rich doing it.

Kind of like the restaurant business... you do it 'cuz ya love the work.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in_d_haus said:

...you won't necessarily become rich doing it.

I think you realize I'm not trying to get rich. I love cars, and I want to combine my job with my hobby and look forward to each day.

I've worked for others for nearly 20 years (I'll be 35 this summer) and I am tired of lay-offs, and long hours so others benefit. It is my turn to win (or fail) on my own.

Hey, it's the American Dream!

Sabrina - Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Emission said:
I think you realize I'm not trying to get rich.
It's all about the money for me, I was telling Sabrina as she left last night "Just leave the money on the nightstand honey!" :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Re: Re: I want to open my own Repair Shop (need advice)

Dave 330i said:

Mike, I don't want to disappoint you, but there is a big difference between a gentleman farmer and a real farmer. I hope you understand what I mean. Not to say you don't have a dream, but being in repair business is highly risky and the work is dirty. Just think of having to deal with all the whinners and the complaints you see on these boards. Do you think you could avoid them? Not. Also, do you want to come home with greasy black and cut fingers then eating at the family dinner table? And your wife tells you smell like gasoline and oil? How about the oily shoes you will be tracking all over your new carpet? Sounds romantic doesn't it? To be honest, I would rather sell cars than to fix them.
You are absolutely right.... the work is dirty and there are a ton of whinners and complainers... especially when they come back with problems that have nothing to do with what they originally went in there for to begin with... but it's the same thing you deal with in the business world with a boss, only difference is it is your own place... :thumb:

As for the coming home with the greasy black and cut fingers, smelling like gasoline, oil or grease... some women actually don't mind it... I can't remember my dad not having any of those smells and some women it doesn't bother... Actually it can be romantic or sexy... have greasy hands all over you... depends on the women... :thumb: :p

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Sabrina, Sabrina . . .

Sabrina, this is about Mike's dreams, not yours (however pleasant they may be) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Re: Sabrina, Sabrina . . .

scottn2retro said:
Sabrina, this is about Mike's dreams, not yours (however pleasant they may be) :rolleyes:
Sorry... :( Got carried away... :) Was trying to tell him that he doesn't have to worry about getting a woman... that's all... trying to cover all the angles... just got a little excited... I'll try to behave... ;) :angel: :p

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, after reading the posts, and doing research... I have changed my direction - slightly.

Yesterday, I spent a good amount of time tracking down all the repair shops within a 10-mile radius of my town. There were quite a few... and three or four specialty BMW-only shops.

In my conversations with my business partners (the guys who are helping me raise capital), they point out my venture must be unique and draw the business to it.

With that in mind, I have decided to narrow my idea from a European Automotive Repair shop to a dedicated Porsche Service/Sales shop. I will have a couple service bays, sell parts retail (mailorder and online), have a small showroom, and offer performance upgrades.

There are no Porsche repair shops in town other than the dealership (the nearest 'private' shop is about 23 miles away). There are a ton of Porsche owners who take their cars many miles away for service (two of my good friends are excellent examples).

I am contacting the local PCA (Porsche Club of America) to check the size of their local database in the next couple days. I know that Southern California has one of the largest Porsche concentrations in the country.

I am in the planning stages...nothing in concrete. Thanks for the advice - keep it coming.

Dave - I get your point. I think the thing that differentiates me from the other shops is that I am a businessman turning mechanic (I will hire my skilled labor). Other shops are mechanics attempting to be businessmen. I have an extensive sales and marketing background - a distinct advantage in my eyes.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Sabrina, Sabrina . . .

Sabrina said:

Was trying to tell him that he doesn't have to worry about getting a woman...
My wife (of nine years) doesn't approve of me bringing home other women (yet?). :D

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Emission -

If you're really serious about opening a shop, I can't recommend enough checking out the Bimmers Clinic in Reseda. A fantastic (but small) facility with a great reputation. George has been a supporter of the LA BMW CCA and BMW enthusiasts for decades so I'm sure he could have some valuable experience to relate.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sabrina, Sabrina . . .

Emission said:

My wife (of nine years) doesn't approve of me bringing home other women (yet?). :D
Ok... well I can't help you there... :dunno: :p But if she ever changes her mind... :thumb: j/k.... :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts