BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I sold my only Car, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, and I now am interested in X5.
Although my budget is only about 35k, ~ may be up to 40k if I stretch it.

Do you guy think I ll be able to buy 2008 X5 4.8i decent mileage (under 45k, and some warranty left) (Fully loaded, Sport with Y Spoke Wheels, Prem, Cold, Logic 7, Climate Pkg, Comfort access, running board etc)
HUD would be nice but not necessary, and I don't need 3rd row seats.

Anyways when I look up autotrader, most of them are well over 40k, and + tax will be about 45k for most cars.

Is this the right price range for the X5 4.8i? or would I be able to find or negotiate price down under 40k?

I was just wondering, if the dealers just set the price up high.

Just wanna know how much I would be expecting to spend on this car, so that I can ultimately decide if I need to just get something like 335i sedan..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doable but tough

From my experience your price range is doable but tough. I had similar requirements when I was shopping for mine. It is rare to find a X5 4.8i under $40k with low mileage. From what I have seen out there closer to $45k is general range. You see more X5 3.0i in this price range.

I was able to buy one with 33k miles with Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Navigation for $38K, but it took a long time. Also be warned if you plan to buy an Extended Warrantee, be prepared to pull out the pocket book. They are not cheap.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Hello everyone.
I sold my only Car, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, and I now am interested in X5.
Although my budget is only about 35k, ~ may be up to 40k if I stretch it.

Do you guy think I ll be able to buy 2008 X5 4.8i decent mileage (under 45k, and some warranty left) (Fully loaded, Sport with Y Spoke Wheels, Prem, Cold, Logic 7, Climate Pkg, Comfort access, running board etc)
HUD would be nice but not necessary, and I don't need 3rd row seats.

Anyways when I look up autotrader, most of them are well over 40k, and + tax will be about 45k for most cars.

Is this the right price range for the X5 4.8i? or would I be able to find or negotiate price down under 40k?

I was just wondering, if the dealers just set the price up high.

Just wanna know how much I would be expecting to spend on this car, so that I can ultimately decide if I need to just get something like 335i sedan..
Tough but doable if you take your time. As an FYI I just purchased a 2007 (I know you're looking at a 2008) 4.8i, well equipped (Premium, Sport, Cold, Technology, 3rd row, rear entertainment, read climate, running boards, tow package, USB/iPod, Sirrus to name a few), with 35K miles for $35K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. Tough, but doable. I just purchased a well equipped '08 4.8i with about 47K for about $40K. More miles than I was looking for as well but I thought that was a great price for all I got on the vehicle. I did decide to purchase the extended warranty. Not much left on the factory warranty. I say take your time in looking. It will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased an 08' X5 4.8 in late October w/ 35,000 mi., extended warranty, well optioned for $39,175. I had to be patient and let the inventory age (approx. 60 days) on the dealers lot, then made an offer on the last day of the month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased 2008 X5 4.8 in late October

I purchased a nicely equiped X5 4.8 with 42K miles in late October for $36K from a BMW dealer in eastern PA. Clean CarFax, smooth transaction, easy to deal with. Look hard, you will find the right deal because they are out there!:)

·
SMW
86 Posts
In march of this year I purchased a 2008 4.8i well equipped minus HUD, 3rd Row, and Cold Weather package, had about 33K miles and still under warranty till March of 2012 for $39.9, bought it in the south because I don't like cars that come from the winter states that have salt from the roads. Love the car and recommend with some hard searching you can find a steal/great deal.

I used Ebay and Cargurus mainly and found them useful

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys all for answers. I ll keep search and wait for the right one for me. I am starting to look at 2007s without warranty but i dont know if thats a good thing. I am coming form infiniti g37 coupe. 08 was its first year and people on the forum straight up mention "try to buy 09s" so Thats what i did. I wonder how 07 are different to 08s. If its not transmission or engine issues (major) im okay with 07s as well.

·
SMW
86 Posts
I was in your same boat, originally I was looking at 07-09, but have heard a lot of times to never buy the first model year after a redesign. I would say 08's warranties are ending soon and either get a late model 08' or 09' if in your price range. Some things I noticed different about the 08 from the 07 is the 08 has more packages and the AutoH feature. Also BMW has an incredible warranty program, where they fix practically everything. Since your buying the car used it may have a couple of things that need BMW's attention. For example when I bought my car, it had some wear on the steering wheel and BMW replaced my whole steeling wheel and also water was getting into my tail lamp and they replaced the tail lamp all for free. I would strongly suggest you get a X5 that is still under warranty, it will make ownership in the beginning really easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if it helps, but I just picked up an 08 4.8i CPO w/ 12K miles, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Audio, Adaptive Drive, etc... They were asking $43K and I got it out the door for $40K. I think it was a damn good deal, based on the others in the area.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I was in your same boat, originally I was looking at 07-09, but have heard a lot of times to never buy the first model year after a redesign. I would say 08's warranties are ending soon and either get a late model 08' or 09' if in your price range. Some things I noticed different about the 08 from the 07 is the 08 has more packages and the AutoH feature. Also BMW has an incredible warranty program, where they fix practically everything. Since your buying the car used it may have a couple of things that need BMW's attention. For example when I bought my car, it had some wear on the steering wheel and BMW replaced my whole steeling wheel and also water was getting into my tail lamp and they replaced the tail lamp all for free. I would strongly suggest you get a X5 that is still under warranty, it will make ownership in the beginning really easy.
Almost every BMW I've ever owned has been the first year. The only exception was the 2001 4.4i I just traded in on my 2008 4.8i. I've not had any issues which I can trace back to first year vehicles. Still I understand the reasoning behind the recommendation.

I went with a 2007 because it was such a good deal but also because the prices tend to be significantly lower than the 2008's. However unless the vehicle is CPO just about every 2007 is out of warranty. Even 2008's are coming out of warranty. I figured the savings could be applied towards a repair if need be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2008 4.8 sport 20" rims nav with 44k miles and a CPO warranty for 34k in CA. My insurance company covered the car for 44k. I bought it with an auto broker. He bid on it at auction for me. The auction listings have pics of every nick and scratch and give the car a grade but you don't get to drive it. I had a dealership look up the vin number and verify the service record for me and it has a warranty til dec 2014! The broker picked up the ca and immediately took it to a BMW dealership where he had them do anything that was covered under warranty, including a few plastic panels and dials along with the BMW logo on the steering wheel. I think I got an awesome deal, but finding a BMW CPO at auction is rare. Service records show it was a lease return that went up for sale immediately, then CPO a week later, then it sat on the lot and finally went to auction. I paid the broker $400 to buy the car for me. I highly recommend it, just buy a car with some of the original warranty left and you don't have to worry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.