Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these speculations about BMW upping the power output on the 3.0 liter engine because of competition...Some say 260 HP on the 330 in 2003, I've seen figures ranging from 230 to 250.

BULL.

The 3.0 liter engine, at current iteration (M54), is about as finely tuned as an engine of this size can POSSIBLY get at 6,500 rpm redline (without introduction of new technology). The ONLY way BMW can increase the power output of the 3.0 liter engine is by either force induction (hence the bi-turbo on the 5 series) or by moving the redline up another few thousand RPMs, ala M3 engine. Frankly, I don't think the Aluminium block in the 3.0 can sustain such high RPMs, otherwise BMW wouldn't have use a cast IRON block for the M3 engine.

And judging from the fact that the new Z4s are coming with the identical 3.0 and 2.5 liter engine, we can safely assume the 2003 3 series will NOT see any powergains, and if the numbers are different we can be assured that it's BMW Marketing working their funny accounting. Most likely we WILL see some new engines by the end of 2003 on the 3 series once the 5 series is introduced...Perhaps Valvetronic I-6es with power in the 250hp range from the 3.0, but it will NOT happen in the 2003 model year.

So take it for what it's worth, there will be NO changes for 2003 for the sedan, and very minor changes on the coupe if any.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Although I don't think there will be any power increase for 2003, for the reasons that you state above, it is possible to have a higher hp 3L engine than the current one. The 240hp '95 E36 M3 is proof :flipoff:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The HACK said:
...BULL....

...So take it for what it's worth, there will be NO changes for 2003 for the sedan, and very minor changes on the coupe if any.
Although what you said above is more than likely, I HAVE to ask bro... Are you with BMW AG or something? :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
nate328Ci said:
Although I don't think there will be any power increase for 2003, for the reasons that you state above, it is possible to have a higher hp 3L engine than the current one. The 240hp '95 E36 M3 is proof :flipoff:

Yep. If the single VANOS 3.0l euro E36 M3 engine can generate 286hp. Double VANOS in the current 3.0l should come close to that if BMW sees the need. Turbo just sounds so Volvo, Saab and Audi.

·
10,856 Posts
Valvetronic. Which will also make the e-throttle debacle right, we hope. :p

Edit: And I see I need to work on my reading comprehension. :banghead: Perhaps if they improved their tolerances, though. I remember someone's 330 dyno'd at 250+ bone stock...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The HACK said:
So take it for what it's worth, there will be NO changes for 2003 for the sedan, and very minor changes on the coupe if any.
i bet they shave $1500 off the list price though... bookmark this post. :rolleyes:

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
THE HACK,

Your analysis is most impressive and "dollars to donuts" I predict that you are correct. A limiting factor of the valvetronic system is the time lag required for the valves to be electronically adjusted for each stroke. Consequently, the valvetronic system appears to be incompatible with the higher revving engines such as those used in the "M" series.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Valvetronic. Which will also make the e-throttle debacle right, we hope. :p
What debacle?

All that I hear is unwarranted *****ing here :dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Edit: And I see I need to work on my reading comprehension. :banghead: Perhaps if they improved their tolerances, though. I remember someone's 330 dyno'd at 250+ bone stock...
Yeah. Running 103 octane JET FUEL, in 32 degrees farenheit with 0 humidity, and the engine fell apart right after the dyno run...And a giant fan blowing compressed air into the intake.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
nate328Ci said:

What debacle?

I HAVE to agree... I can't ****ing tell the difference between my current 325i (or former M3 in non-Sport mode) and my former 00 323Ci... Heck, it must be even better than the mechanical throttle with the Dinan SW...

·
10,856 Posts
nate328Ci said:

What debacle?

My sister, who is as close to a disinterested party as you can get started ranting about the delay within 1 block the first time she drove my car. The sticky pedal is also rather irritating.

The problem with the e-throttle, IMHO, is mostly with BMW's software. The lag also increases depending on how the car is driven. It freaking irritating. Over time, throttle response sucks more and more and more, until I reset the computer and I get it back. With an average speed of 15-19MPH, I just don't have the opportunity to drive the piss out of the car constantly.

·
10,856 Posts
The HACK said:

Yeah. Running 103 octane JET FUEL, in 32 degrees farenheit with 0 humidity, and the engine fell apart right after the dyno run...And a giant fan blowing compressed air into the intake.
Wouldn't know. I just recall a post on bimmer.org, along with a lot of comments on how BMW's tolerances allowed for up to +10% over spec.

·
10,856 Posts
ALEX325i said:

I HAVE to agree... I can't ****ing tell the difference between my current 325i (or former M3 in non-Sport mode) and my former 00 323Ci... Heck, it must be even better than the mechanical throttle with the Dinan SW...
I've never driven an older E46. However, the throttle in my old E36 was MUCH more immediate. With software, I'm sure the e-throttle is quite decent. If BMW would simply give us a sport mode outside of the M3, I suspect that a lot of the *****ing would die down.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

I've never driven an older E46. However, the throttle in my old E36 was MUCH more immediate. With software, I'm sure the e-throttle is quite decent. If BMW would simply give us a sport mode outside of the M3, I suspect that a lot of the *****ing would die down.
Oh, I could rephrase that...

I HAVE to agree... I can't ****ing tell the difference between my current 325i (or former M3 in non-Sport mode) and my former 95 325is... Heck, it must be even better than the mechanical throttle with the Dinan SW...

·
10,856 Posts
ALEX325i said:

I HAVE to agree... I can't ****ing tell the difference between my current 325i (or former M3 in non-Sport mode) and my former 95 325is... Heck, it must be even better than the mechanical throttle with the Dinan SW...
And I ****ing well can! :D:flipoff:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I'm with Alex. Lag? Sticky pedal? huh? :dunno: Maybe this is a sign of inconsistent manufacturing by BMW, and not some design problem.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ALEX325i said:

I can tell a difference, but the only thing that I find significant is that the throttle is lighter than mine (M52TU E46s have heavy throttles). That really is it. :dunno:

It makes it easier to blip the throttle :lmao:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I can tell a difference, but the only thing that I find significant is that the throttle is lighter than mine (M52TU E46s have heavy throttles). That really is it. :dunno:

It makes it easier to blip the throttle :lmao:
That's exactly what theHACK said after driving my car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts