BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 6's better than the V8's reliability wise?

·
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chivas said:
well, that depends how you take care of it.
I'm comparing two cars that are maintained according to manufacturer's recommendations. You know, regular oil changes and so on and so forth. This is related to my other thread about price on an E39 for a friend. Someone there had mentioned that 8s had more issues compared to the 6s. My friend is gonna check out a 540i and I just want to have info.
TIA :)

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I think the general feeling is that the 6s are more reliable than the 8s. The 8s have a classic radiator failure problem...the 6s do not.

·
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ågent99 said:
I think the general feeling is that the 6s are more reliable than the 8s. The 8s have a classic radiator failure problem...the 6s do not.
Thanks
I see you have an E60 545i :bow:

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
Ågent99 said:
But what is the repair cost? Perhaps $500 to $600? Maybe $250 if you do it yourself? Hardly a reason to discount the 540, because of one possible defect, and a not very costly one at that.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
But what is the repair cost? Perhaps $500 to $600? Maybe $250 if you do it yourself? Hardly a reason to discount the 540, because of one possible defect, and a not very costly one at that.
Good point...as you can tell, it was the only one I posted about. I don't think things like MAFs (air flow sensor), O2 sensors, camshaft positioning sensors, or even catalytic converters are '8 vs. 6' related.

A blown radiator may not cost too much to fix (subjective, no?) but it will absolutely strand you and it sure makes a mess of the engine (but nothing a <$100 steam clean won't fix).

That is why I said that "generally", I bet that most folks would find the 6 more reliable than the 8....

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Good point...as you can tell, it was the only one I posted about. I don't think things like MAFs (air flow sensor), O2 sensors, camshaft positioning sensors, or even catalytic converters are '8 vs. 6' related.

A blown radiator may not cost too much to fix (subjective, no?) but it will absolutely strand you and it sure makes a mess of the engine (but nothing a <$100 steam clean won't fix).

That is why I said that "generally", I bet that most folks would find the 6 more reliable than the 8....
I would agree that the general consensus IS that the 6's are more reliable, but a recent thread or two has left me wondering if that may be a bit of a misconception...and that they may be more similar in reliability. Or perhaps those recent threads on the 6's are just a fluke?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99043

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well I have a six and it has its share of problems. If you have 97-99 with a mechanical thermostat be very careful. Change the thermostat, water pump and housing! I have heard lot of ugly stories with them overheating. Check to see if you can remove the spark plugs out. The will seize on an aluminum block when overheated. The electronic thermostats were to be the answer to that in the later series. Also the wasser pumpen (water pump), with the impeller being plastic tend to fall apart. But if you look further there is a site that lists all the problems with each car.

Good luck!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I had to have my thermostat replaced on my 530i at like 49,990 miles...so it was covered! :D

·
I wanna DRIVE!
2000 540i sport 6 speed, 1979 Euro 635csi, 1972 3.0 CS
238 Posts
BMW engines are very reliable

If you are looking to buy a BMW, the engines are very reliable and are really not much of a concern. With reasonable care they'll easily go over 100k miles. On the other hand, the e39s have a ton of complicated electronic stuff that may cause problems. There's also the brittle little crap like cup holders and door handles to be concerned about. I'm willing to put up with a little maintenance to get the ride of a BMW, but if this is not your thing you won't be happy with a BMW.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
I would agree that the general consensus IS that the 6's are more reliable, but a recent thread or two has left me wondering if that may be a bit of a misconception...and that they may be more similar in reliability. Or perhaps those recent threads on the 6's are just a fluke?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61490

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99043
I wouldn't call them flukes necessarily and the second thread you point to was the first I'd ever heard of the 525i having issues. I think the 525i and 530i have just about the same engine so I'm mystified by that second thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.