BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed that my ICB boot had a tear in it so I quickly ran to the autozone to pick one up for my car. The Installation on it felt near impossible at first because the little arm would not bend well and it kept popping out so instead I grabbed my ripped boot and lodged a smaller hose in the little arm (had tear) to cover up the hole and put the original boot back on.
I recently learned a way to get more room to work in by removing the air filter box, heat shield and, DISA Valve so I was able to change out the boot to the new one and make everything secure.
My question is would this potentially ruin the engine? Switching from a boot with restricted airflow to a regular one? (I drove it like this for about 5 months). I’m a new 2002 325i Automatic Sedan owner and I really want to take good care of her.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Not sure I understand. Did you mean the original boot is more restrictive and the AutoZone one is not? Why would it matter? The less restrictions the better right? If I could get rid of my air filter I would do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I understand. Did you mean the original boot is more restrictive and the AutoZone one is not? Why would it matter? The less restrictions the better right? If I could get rid of my air filter I would do that.

this was the original boot. I lodged a smaller hose into the little arm because I couldn’t get the new ICB boot to sit right. I just changed it this weekend tho and I didn’t know if the car got used to this amount of airflow and if switching it would ruin something. This may sound silly, I know ... I just slowly started learning how delicate these cars can be and I want to make sure I have everything sorted out well and I’m not doing her any more damage.
Thank you for the response! I think about it every time I drive her around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts