BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If BMW AG was to offer it on the E46 for 03, I'm sure it would replace Steel Gray.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
A small (albeit seflish) part of me would kind of like to see Steel Gray retired. It's becoming way too popular amongst the masses, and is no longer as exclusive as it once was.

It would really make my combo that much rarer, since they have already consigned Tanin to the ash heap of history.

Although I'm not really a big fan of Sterling Gray. It's got way to much of a pewter or gold tone to it for my liking. So the 'Gray' part is a bit of a misnomer. Maybe Fools Gold is a better description? (just kidding, of course)

T

·
0 Posts
Sean said:
If BMW AG was to offer it on the E46 for 03, I'm sure it would replace Steel Gray.
Like you're going to buy another E46.... Yeah, right.

BTW, did the 330Ci sell or not?

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Who knows :dunno: I might order me a 2003 330i. Steel Gray or Sterling Gray, Black leatherette, 5 speed, SP, Sunroof and maybe the rear sunshade (for the little one).

I'd rather have a well-kept 87-90 E30 325is. I've been looking for months. They are hard to come by.

I haven't sold the 330Ci, but I still have a deposit.

T

·
0 Posts
As you can tell from my modified sig, I'm on a new quest for a '89-91 325is OR '91 318is to fill the void left by my old '91 318is. Who knows if I'd actually buy it if I found a good one, but I enjoy looking.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From my understanding the 87 325is had the same suspension setup that the 88 E30 M3 had. The 88-90 325is got a softer setup after the M3 was released.

I like your new title under your name. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Sean said:
From my understanding the 87 325is had the same suspension setup that the 88 E30 M3 had. The 88-90 325is got a softer setup after the M3 was released.

I like your new title under your name. May I join? :D
Per the Roundel (August 2000 issue) the '91 318is also had the '91 M3 suspension. Of course, I had no idea when I had mine. Nor did I appreciate that it had the optional LSD. Doh!

And, sure, join the Reitzle Fan Club. If we can have a hoarde of naive board members claim to be "E65 Advocate"s, we certainly can have a bunch of us true BMW fanatics be Reitzle Fan Club members.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The E30 was a great car. Mine also had the LSD. Now that it's long gone (4 yrs.) I really miss it and I've come to realize what I had is not easy to find. I was the second owner. The 1st owner was a friend who took extremely good care of it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
TD said:
As you can tell from my modified sig, I'm on a new quest for a '89-91 325is OR '91 318is to fill the void left by my old '91 318is. Who knows if I'd actually buy it if I found a good one, but I enjoy looking.
Good job, TD. Those late E30's are great!

Pops' 325is :thumb:

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Mystikal said:

Good job, TD. Those late E30's are great!

Pops' 325is :thumb:
That really is gorgeous! Make's me want to cry, and yearn for the 'good ole days', again! :bawling:

You know what I also really loved about the E30's; the way the hood opened on them. Really novel, cool and unique.

BMW AG should bring that feature back!

Oh wait, my bad! Herr Bunghole wants to do away with anything that smacks of tradition.

Forgive me folks! What the heck was I thinking, anyway? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
IndyMike said:

That really is gorgeous! Make's me want to cry, and yearn for the 'good ole days', again! :bawling:

You know what I also really loved about the E30's; the way the hood opened on them. Really novel, cool and unique.

Oh wait, my bad! Herr Bunghole wants to do away with anything that smacks of tradition.

One feel of the gearbox makes me cry for the good ole days. The throw is literally about half the length, and this is on a factory 11 year old gearbox! :confused:

The hood is also a crowd pleaser. Most people don't even know that hoods can open that way.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My E34 525 hood opens the same way. It lets in so much more light when working in the engine compartment. I've heard BMW AG did any with the hoods opening this way because when involved in a frontal accident it was costly to repair vs. the std. opening hood.

T

·
0 Posts
Sean said:
My E34 525 hood opens the same way. It lets in so much more light when working in the engine compartment. I've heard BMW AG did any with the hoods opening this way because when involved in a frontal accident it was costly to repair vs. the std. opening hood.
But, IIRC, the whole reason for the front hinging was to allow the hood panel to run up and over the windshield in the event of an accident, hence better energy diffusion.

But other "safety" ideas have gone by the way-side as well, like the weather-band radio (my '98 M3 DOES have it), standard outside temp display, and rear shoulder seatbelts that run from the center of the car to the outsides rather than the other way (the E39s and E46s quit doing this). The idea behind the seatbelt design was to prevent the heads of the rear seat occupants from hitting each other during a frontal collision since bodies tend to be pulled somewhat along the shoulder portion of the seatbelt's angle. So have the angles running away from each other rather than toward. Think about it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But all of this was cast aside to make the cars more mainstream. Ironically, all of this mainstreaming began with the initial arrival of Bangle.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

But, IIRC, the whole reason for the front hinging was to allow the hood panel to run up and over the windshield in the event of an accident, hence better energy diffusion.

But other "safety" ideas have gone by the way-side as well, like the weather-band radio (my '98 M3 DOES have it), standard outside temp display, and rear shoulder seatbelts that run from the center of the car to the outsides rather than the other way (the E39s and E46s quit doing this). The idea behind the seatbelt design was to prevent the heads of the rear seat occupants from hitting each other during a frontal collision since bodies tend to be pulled somewhat along the shoulder portion of the seatbelt's angle. So have the angles running away from each other rather than toward. Think about it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But all of this was cast aside to make the cars more mainstream. Ironically, all of this mainstreaming began with the initial arrival of Bangle.
Well, I know that the old E28s did not have seatbelt mounts in the center and the hood hinged forward. I think theat wthe seatbelt mounts were moved from there because we now have foliding rear seats and the seatbelts cannot be mounted on somthing that moves; and since the split 60/40, someone wouldn't have a belt. I'll bet that the front mounted hinge was gotten rid of for aeordynamic reasons, they can smooth out the front of the car more. Also, that isn't that unique at all, every Buick LeSabre and Park Ave. from the 80s has a front hinged hood :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
IndyMike said:

My grandmother's old '86 Buick had a front hinged hood before the E30 was concieved, it isn't novel at all. Lots of older cars had front hinged hoods. Jaguar E-Type, etc.

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Well, I know that the old E28s did not have seatbelt mounts in the center and the hood hinged forward. I think theat wthe seatbelt mounts were moved from there because we now have foliding rear seats and the seatbelts cannot be mounted on somthing that moves; and since the split 60/40, someone wouldn't have a belt. I'll bet that the front mounted hinge was gotten rid of for aeordynamic reasons, they can smooth out the front of the car more. Also, that isn't that unique at all, every Buick LeSabre and Park Ave. from the 80s has a front hinged hood :dunno:
Nate likes to piss on any observations that look back on past BMW models fondly, especially if the comments indirectly disparage anything currently going on at BMW.

I'm starting to think that, at the very least, Nate has an indirect financial interest in BMW (like his dad works for or owns a dealership or something along those lines) because there can't be any other reason for his blind cheerleading.

I mean, to liken the front-hinging hood to 1980s-era Buicks is about as negative a comment as one could make.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

Nate likes to piss on any observations that look back on past BMW models fondly, especially if the comments indirectly disparage anything currently going on at BMW.

I'm starting to think that, at the very least, Nate has an indirect financial interest in BMW (like his dad works for or owns a dealership or something along those lines) because there can't be any other reason for his blind cheerleading.

I mean, to liken the front-hinging hood to 1980s-era Buicks is about as negative a comment as one could make.
No, you completely missed the point. Ya'll were implying that the current models are missing out on "BMW heritage" because they don't have front hinged hoods or center mounted belts. I was giving you a reason why they changed. MANY cars before 1990 had front hinged hoods. I beleve MOST cars did, including our old Park Avenue. Looking back at them as some sort of "unique" and "special" design is ludicrous. It is an aerodynamic consideration. The Front Hinged hood is by far not a unique design, I just thought I would bring some in here back down to reality. the Buick hood opentd to the the front before the E30 and many cars before it :dunno:

Yea, I don't like old BMWs, right :rolleyes: I suppose that's why my favorite BMWs were all made in 1927, 1973, and 1986 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
to get back to the original topic

I agree with the proposition at the start of this thread that sterling silver should come back. The steel grey is too dark and of course everyone on the planet, including me, owned titanium silver for a while.

Still like topaz a whole lot though. Gotta go polish it today.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts