BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, new to the forum!
I've been debating on a new car for myself.
I wanted some opinions and advice on the 328i//335i/m3?(and between all the years) I'm looking to buy them used.
I want to know which would be the most reliable, power, and efficient for the price. Looking to keep this car for a while.7-10 years, and of course i want to know the mileage of when these cars start to fail.
Genuinely, i'm not looking to track but just cruising-spirited driving, and ext cosmetics.
Any advice will be great!

·
I do my crosswords in pen
1,925 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum!
I've been debating on a new car for myself.
I wanted some opinions and advice on the 328i//335i/m3?(and between all the years) I'm looking to buy them used.
I want to know which would be the most reliable, power, and efficient for the price. Looking to keep this car for a while.7-10 years, and of course i want to know the mileage of when these cars start to fail.
Genuinely, i'm not looking to track but just cruising-spirited driving, and ext cosmetics.
Any advice will be great!
I think an e92 328i 6mt with Sport Package would fit the bill perfectly for what you want. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much more reliable are they compared to the 325i? or even the m3? Any difference in stock cosmetics with 328i vs 335i?

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts

·
I do my crosswords in pen
1,925 Posts
How much more reliable are they compared to the 325i? or even the m3? Any difference in stock cosmetics with 328i vs 335i?
Highly reliable cars, the 328i is pretty much a perfected 325i with a few key differences. In fact the e90 328i has proven to be one of BMW's most reliable models ever!

Some good websites to check reliability are True Delta, and Consumer Reports as well.

It's kind of apples and oranges IMO, but I don't think the M3's have too many issues. Not that i've heard of anyway.

Stock for stock, or M-sport for M-sport, the only difference you will see between the 328 and 335 are the single exit exhaust tips, versus the duals.

Last but not least, go test drive them! Each model of 3'r certainly fills an individual niche, and it's hard to pick what works for you without some seat time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, but as far as reliability with the TT 335i, i heard the turbo goes bad within 5 years or 100k+ miles? correct me if i'm wrong

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts
Thanks for the info, but as far as reliability with the TT 335i, i heard the turbo goes bad within 5 years or 100k+ miles? correct me if i'm wrong
No issues with the turbo. Only reported turbo failures have to do with modded engines.

The issue is that pre-LCI 335i is with the N54 engine had an issue with excessive high pressure fuel pump failures. It has decreased significantly with the new software and a redesigned pump but it still happens. BMW has an extended 10yr/100k warranty on the HPFP because of this problem.

Even some newer N55 engines had reported HPFP failures.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think an e92 328i 6mt with Sport Package would fit the bill perfectly for what you want. :thumbup:
I agree with Guerilla, it's very practical.

However, the OP lives in Los Angeles, California. That means you have hot weather each day, everyday! You should buy a CPO M3. Think about how much fun you will have with a 414hp/295 lb-ft little rocket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
most reliable, power, and efficient for the price. Looking to keep this car for a while. 7-10 years, not looking to track but just cruising-spirited driving, and ext cosmetics.
i agree with guerilla - if you're looking for a bmw, nothing fits the requirements better than the MT 328i msport coupe.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
No issues with the turbo. Only reported turbo failures have to do with modded engines.
This is not quite true. There have been some failures of turbos. There have been a few more wastegate failures (which one might classify as turbo failure). However, the rate seems quite low for both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts