Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....that you can't hear and only have my description. :)

Calling DSX Machina

My car has developed a steady "brrr" noise that increases as the speed increases and diminishes as the car comes to a stop. I got new summer tires yesterday. Yay! I had my winter tires on and I had been hoping the "brrr" was coming from them. I thought maybe they had some cupping. No such "luck".

So, the noise is coming from a wheel area or I'm afraid possibly the differential. It sounds like its coming from the right side of the car, but I can't tell for sure; however, that is the side I've thought it was coming from since it developed.

My thoughts are a wheel bearing or, my fear, possibly the differential. Any ideas or thoughts? Mainly I'm wondering if a differential issue would emanate a "brrr" type sound. Am I correct that a wheel bearing could make such a sound? I've had a bad wheel bearing once in the past on another car and to the best of my recollection this is what it sounded like. Am I remembering correctly that a wheel bearing and cupping tires make a similar sound?

Could it be the guibo? I'm right at 99k miles. Edit: I just listened to some guibo noises on YouTube and it doesn't sound anything like that.

I know we all hate these kinds of identify the sound threads. Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Differential normally hums when it's going.

I'm possibly dealing with a bad from diff on my car. In hoping it's the axle support bearing but we'll see when I change it this week.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just experienced the same issue on my e60. Sounded like it was coming from dead center below my rear seat. The tone changed with speed, not rpm. It was the Right rear wheel bearing. My Indy says it always the right bearing, seldomly the left. It's a 528. It was gut wrenching thinking it was my diff. I should have diy'ed, but time put her in the shop.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm feeling more like it's a wheel bearing. It sounds like it's on the right side. Mine isn't coming from dead center. I'm sure hoping it's the bearing. I live in a condo with a large multi-car garage, so I have to have a shop do the work. I recently got several suggestions of good shops in the city.

Thanks for y'all's thoughts. Any others with thoughts feel free to chime in.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just experienced the same issue on my e60. Sounded like it was coming from dead center below my rear seat. The tone changed with speed, not rpm. It was the Right rear wheel bearing. My Indy says it always the right bearing, seldomly the left. It's a 528. It was gut wrenching thinking it was my diff. I should have diy'ed, but time put her in the shop.
How much did your repair turn out to be? Thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didnt know what the exact problem was, out of fear, for the first time in my many years, I took it to an Indy. My total was $480. Afterwards, he showed me the bad parts, gave me some pointers, etc. I could have easily DIY'ed myself for roughly under $100 and time. I just didn't have that luxury at that moment. YouTube / Google/ this forum is your friend. I've read that your bearings are pressed, you may have to rent a tool ($65).

Go for it, someone here has done it before. Something I was told, when trying to diagnose. Put the rear on stands, isolate the noise to confirm.

Good luck

If I ever get in too deep, this Indy has my business. Service alone won me.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt know what the exact problem was, out of fear, for the first time in my many years, I took it to an Indy. My total was $480. Afterwards, he showed me the bad parts, gave me some pointers, etc. I could have easily DIY'ed myself for roughly under $100 and time. I just didn't have that luxury at that moment. YouTube / Google/ this forum is your friend. I've read that your bearings are pressed, you may have to rent a tool ($65).

Go for it, someone here has done it before. Something I was told, when trying to diagnose. Put the rear on stands, isolate the noise to confirm.

Good luck

If I ever get in too deep, this Indy has my business. Service alone won me.
Thanks. That's about the range I expected. I live in a condo, so I don't have the room or the tools. I only have a parking space in a multi-car garage, so it'll have to be an indy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts