Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was doing an oil change on my 09 528i and I noticed this strange leak. It was behind the front under panel, under the engine near the front.

I can't seem to find where it's coming from, this leak is just sort of "there". This bolt also appears to have worked itself loose, however it didn't tighten much further when I twisted it. Any ideas what I'm looking at?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l11gqo8eb4ho62c/20181110_101810.jpg?dl=0

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,155 Posts
Are you sure it is an oil liquid leak? That's the water pump in the picture. The water pump has two rubber grommets in the mounting holes shown in your picture. It looks like on the the rubber grommets has "melted" -- as in how rubber things sort of get gooey sometimes when they degrade. It could be something leaked on it and caused it to degrade.

have a loot at a water pump at ecstuning.com and you'll see the mounting I'm talking about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it is an oil liquid leak? That's the water pump in the picture. The water pump has two rubber grommets in the mounting holes shown in your picture. It looks like on the the rubber grommets has "melted" -- as in how rubber things sort of get gooey sometimes when they degrade. It could be something leaked on it and caused it to degrade.

have a loot at a water pump at ecstuning.com and you'll see the mounting I'm talking about.
Thank you! Looking at it again, that's most likely what happened. I'm not sure what exactly caused that. Is there any harm in letting that stay as it is?

I found the part: 11517529473

However I really don't want to get under there again, partially remove the water pump, just to replace a grommet.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,155 Posts
Probably not critical. I'd buy the part and do it the next time you change the oil. Keep in mind you need a new bolt also since the bolt is one time use. You'll probably need 2 bolts since you will more than likely need to unbolt the other one to get this piece installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts