BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, was in the market for a 2022 530i , and I ended up choosing a 540i because it had the exact color combo I was looking for. I was actually in the car with a BMW genius, and he mentioned that idlestop cannot be disabled. I stopped him right there and cancelled the deal. This idlestop is my #1 pet peeve when I * CAN * disable it, no way in hell Im buying a car where I cannot. I ended up in a 530i with cognac interior, instead of the beige that I preferred.
Anyway, Ive come to learn that there are ways to disable it with these OBD modules. Example https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimmercode-Bluetooth-Adapter-Diagnostic/dp/B08NFLL3NT?ref_=ast_sto_dp , which is out of stock. Does anyone have any experience with this? Having the disable button directly under the engine start is fairly convenient, I think I'd still like to disable it permanently though. Additionally, does anyone know if there's a way to have the car permanently display the tire pressures with one of these modules ?

·
Registered
2018 540i
4 Posts
Hello all, was in the market for a 2022 530i , and I ended up choosing a 540i because it had the exact color combo I was looking for. I was actually in the car with a BMW genius, and he mentioned that idlestop cannot be disabled. I stopped him right there and cancelled the deal. This idlestop is my #1 pet peeve when I * CAN * disable it, no way in hell Im buying a car where I cannot. I ended up in a 530i with cognac interior, instead of the beige that preferred.
Anyway, Ive come to learn that there are ways to disable it with these OBD modules. Example https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimmercode-Bluetooth-Adapter-Diagnostic/dp/B08NFLL3NT?ref_=ast_sto_dp , which is out of stock. Does anyone have any experience with this? Having the disable button directly under the engine start is fairly convenient, I think I'd still like to disable it permanently though. Additionally, does anyone know if there's a way to have the car permanently display the tire pressures with one of these modules ?
I think there is a thread on coding that mentions this. I am interested also in getting what's needed to code my 540i

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,898 Posts
You could just configure “sport” to be like comfort and press sport mode when getting in. Or you could just drive in sport. Or you could pop the shifter over to the left. Or you could use bimmer code to start in sport mode. Many ways around this.
This was done so BMW could meet federal emission standards and Fuel rating requirements. The feds didn’t like that BMW could turn it off upon request and either fix it or lose some of the CAFE ratings. BMW complied

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
975 Posts
You probably should have tried it out more…

The 540i is mild hybrid so it acts pretty much like a 530e when dealing with Auto Start Stop. All of the “annoying” parts of it are smoothed out. Since the car can start going on electric you don’t have the jarring starts and stops or power issues.

Tech is constantly changing. Don’t write stuff off to early...

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,300 Posts
Either switching to Sport Mode, or putting the trans in Sport gate side will prevent auto stop/start. As others said, you could configure Sport Individual to leave items as they are in Comfort. The sales person was "dumb" and I think you backed out too quickly. The 540i is a "damn fine specimen"! Interestingly enough, we also got a '22 330i for my wife and it still has the auto stop/start disable switch!

Reactions: Me530 and HotGrbg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, not having the 6 cyl doesnt bother me. It was only for the color combo of the 540i. I dont understand how people are saying that this is a federal emissions requirement, when my wifes 2021 Nissan Rogue doesnt have idle stop AT ALL. The last thing I want years down the road is to die in the middle of traffic. This damn feature is set to create traffic jams all over the country eventually, then they should calculate all the gasoline spent on idling cars stuck behind the dead cars. When we can remote start these cars for 15 minutes, then be required to save a teaspoon of gas at a 20 second red light, the entire situation is comical to me. Idle stop sucks, period.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,300 Posts
Honestly, not having the 6 cyl doesnt bother me. It was only for the color combo of the 540i. I dont understand how people are saying that this is a federal emissions requirement, when my wifes 2021 Nissan Rogue doesnt have idle stop AT ALL. The last thing I want years down the road is to die in the middle of traffic. This damn feature is set to create traffic jams all over the country eventually, then they should calculate all the gasoline spent on idling cars stuck behind the dead cars. When we can remote start these cars for 15 minutes, then be required to save a teaspoon of gas at a 20 second red light, the entire situation is comical to me. Idle stop sucks, period.
I don't like it either, but it seems you are being a bit dramatic. I honestly always turned the feature off in my '18 540i, but now I sometimes just keep my new 540i in Comfort mode and let it shut off. It's pretty seamless actually. Not sure how it creates traffic jams, it restarts instantly. BTW, aren't the Rogue and Murano about at the bottom of the list of vehicles people would buy again? I just read an article of the top 10 vehicles people are most disappointed in.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Always drive in Sport Mode. Problem solved 😎

Reactions: Warp Ten

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
975 Posts
People get worked up about the weirdest things in cars IMHO. But the test drive is the perfect place to test your assumptions in the real world. The Auto Start Stop feature itself shouldn't really matter all that much to you as long as it is implemented well enough that it fades into the background as it should. If I were you on that test drive my first thought would be "well let me see if I can notice the things I don't like about Auto Start Stop" to see if things has changed.

Auto Start Stop does save pollution in congested major cites like Philly, LA, NY, etc. The annoying parts of the feature is all wrapped up in how the car deals with the loss of engine power. If you're coming into a stop sign and the car shuts off too early and acceleration starts too late? That's jarring and annoying... etc...

On my 530e (which from other forum members the 540i MHT operates in an identical fashion) you lose all of the negatives. The car uses regenerative braking on the stop allowing the engine to shut off during breaking without the car losing power as the "coasting" is moved to the electric motor. When you're accelerating off from a red light the car starts on electric so you can move instantly without a delay and then while you're rolling the engine kicks on. So it is all quite seamless and well done.

Auto Start Stop is added though as it helps to boost the fuel economy rating of the car as it will do a great job in urban areas. That's a big deal for car makers as it can make the difference between a 540i being capable of existing at all in the US and not existing. As OEMs must pay fines for how far under the fuel standards they are...

I'm sure Nissan doesn't need it as their cars are so weak...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
It isnt a “requirement”. By eliminating the driver’s ability to disable it, the car mfg gets to ‘claim’ higher fuel mileage ratings.

Even 0.1 mpg across all 540s sold in a year can add up to many millions.

Yes it sucks. But downgrading your car choice because you dont take the time to FULLY comprehend the issues is..welll,,rash

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,103 Posts
Oh, the drama.

Auto Start Stop helps BMW meet its Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. Most BMW buyers are car guys and car girls, and value performance. We want HP, or we would be driving anemic little Nissans. The fact that your priority in car shopping is interior color and you don't care about the motor (and the I6 in the 540 is supremely more satisfying than the i4) speaks volumes.

You can disable ASS through 20 minutes of coding, or by the simple expedient of flicking the shift lever to the left to use Sport mode, and driving the car the way God and the BMW intended.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,103 Posts
PS: Too bad you didn't take a test drive. The ASS is seamless in the 540. "Die in the middle of traffic." LOL. If you are that clueless, you will be much happier in a Kia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OMG, listen to you fn guys. Im not a child anymore, getting to 60mph in 6 seconds is more than adequate in my life for entering a freeway. So you want to hug all those tree's ? Fine. Im now in a car thats more fuel efficient than the 540, ok? I'll be burning less gasoline than you while I drive it, even with your fantastic idle-stop feature engaged. Keep it in sport mode? Thats the answer? From what I understand the car doesnt maintain that position, and the button needs to be pressed EVERY TIME YOU GET IN THE CAR. Which is where Im at now in the 530i. I came in here asking a simple question, and got bullied by a bunch of BMW corporate fanboys, racing around in sport mode. Tell me, whats your REAL WORLD mpg for the 540i? Next you will claim that the 540 is more efficient than the 530.

Oh btw, another reason I chose the 530? Its $700 a year less to insure.

Anyway, I guess I'll just be pressing two buttons instead of one every start-up. Keep your cars long enough to find yourself creating a traffic-jam when the car doesnt restart at a light a few years from now. Dead battery, starter, something else idle-stop related, doesnt matter. Even if you are the type that rolls into a new model every few years, those cars are still on the road for all of us to enjoy, they arent ALL "ultimate driving machines" with this feature either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got that exact device. Bought in may 2021. It works as intended. I disabled my auto start/stop in my m550. There are a lot of other configs you can change as well. It's worth it for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, it was $59.95 in may. I dont know about the tire pressure thing though. I'm curious now and will have to look that up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Dang, my bad. It's also annoying to push that button that starts the car every time I want to go somewhere.

In all seriousness, @whotech - you came in here guns blazin' so I think some of the reactions are fair. Doubling down in your angry follow-up post doesn't help. We all lean more towards enjoying our cars, so you're not going to find a lot of BMW haters here. I have no issue with the ASS feature in our X3 (I4 engine) as it's quite smooth. I find it to be too abrupt in my 340, so yes, I push the button that puts it in Sport Mode every time. Both our cars have a button to disable ASS.

530 or 540 - both great bimmers. Nobody will argue that. Your logic for picking the 530 solely on this one feature is what is strange to many enthusiasts 🤔

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
moRider, I dont hate this feature in BMW's, I hate it in ALL CARS. I just traded in my TLX, it had the same annoying feature, which I was able to bypass with THIS Home | Idlestopper This feature should not be rammed down our throats, it cannot be justified. It should be optional, on a permanent basis. Again, today I remote started my car for 30 minutes total , 5 fn degrees today. Probably a months worth of idlestops in a day. One day when you create, or get stuck in a traffic jam due to this ground breaking feature, maybe you will remember this post.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,898 Posts
From the thread I read people
1- explained ways around the system
2- explained why it is the way it is
3- tried to help YOU get around your first world problems
4- offered alternatives and mentioned coding it out

your response was berating people?
Welcome to the forum jackass.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,103 Posts
OMG, listen to you fn guys. Im not a child anymore? Tell me, whats (sic) your REAL WORLD mpg for the 540i?

Anyway, I guess I'll just be pressing two buttons instead of one every start-up.
Well, you act like a petulant 3 year old. To answer your question, my real world MPG, averaged across two G30 650's, combined 85,000 miles, driven in Sport mode 80% of the time, is a hair under 25 mpg. Not that it matters; if I valued hyper-miling over fun there are plenty of boring cars out there.

Two buttons? WTF? Every time I want my 540 to move, I have to move the shift lever. Simply moving it to the left - in the same motion - puts the car into Sport and turns off ASS. Easy Peasy.

You came into our house - BF - full of yourself, clueless, and whining like a little baby. No surprise you got the reception you did. But I guess you should be congratulated for buying that 530 without ASS. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you find out.....

The year is still young but you are definitely a contender for Most Clueless Thread of the Year. If whatever marque you trade your 530 for has a forum, I hope you learn from your mistake and do a better job of making friends there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts