BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1995 bmw 318i runs great as long as you are moving but when I stop it runs very awful I have checked the wires and replaced the spark plugs this helped a some but not a lot. If anyone could help me with this problem i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ImperialDuckM3 said:
You will need to check for any vacuum leaks. Did you try cleaning your TB and your ICV? Those two control (or helps) control your idel.
Hey Imperial Duck you might be on the right track however, you have to define TB and ICV for me. I do hear a lot of air as if a vacuum hose is loose or broken i just can't find it. By any chance do you know an easier way to locate it. Thanks a lot Look forward to hearing from you or anyone one else who could help.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TB is your throttle Body

ICV is your idle control valve its located at the bottom of your intake manifold.

Clean your TB and ICV with some carb cleaner, it should get rid of all the dirt..

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey there i had a similar problem a few months ago. it's very possible it's the idle control valve, it should run no more than $250 intalled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ImperialDuckM3 said:
$250 install for the ICV. All you need to do is removed it, spray some carb cleaner and wait till it dry. I beleive its a "free" DIY job.
Hey Imp Duck: thanks, the minute i have a chance to check the things you suggested i'll let you know if it helps, right now we are having some pretty wet weather in this area, you see all of us can't live where the climate is so cooperative. take care and thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Imp Duck: from what I can tell your are on line, I tried the suggestion you gave me about my TB and the ICV again this helped but it still didn't totally sovle the problem. I stiil hear the leaking of air (vacuum) but it is buried under the exhaust manifold like you told me before. Hey is it a big deal to take the four or five bolts loose that hold the manifold and remove it to see where the leak is or will I be opening up a can of worms. Is this a job that should be done at the repair shop

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this...

I took mine to a reputable shop and one of the mechanics found it to be the ?Manifold Pressure Control Valve? It's located about midway under the manifold. It's shaped funny, like a sideways cheddar wheel on top with a cone on bottom. In the middle of the wheel part is a small opening. My car would idle rough when I first started it. I'd rev it to about 3000 once and it would run fine. The mechanic put his finger over the opening on the round part and the roughness returned. So to fix it I had to pull out the filter box, off with the throttle body, the fuel injectors, and anything else I needed to get out of the way to pull the manifold off. I couldn't get the injectors off completely but I managed to move them enough to get the manifold out of the way. The valve came off nicely and it has a forward and aft hose. The forward plugs in just behind the VANOS unit and camshaft position sensor plug and the aft plugged in somewhere down towards where the fuel lines went underneath the car. It took me about 10 hours to get it done. When I started the car it was running worse than when I started but after shutting it off, turning it back on and let the fuel pump run, then start, it ran just fine and has done fine ever since. Hope this helps. Oh, the parts were about $100 for the valve and both hoses.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For vacuum leaks, I recommend you take into a shop so that they can trace it properly. You can try to find it, buts it going to take time and patience.

Yes, you can remove the intake manifold and take alook to see if you have a blown gasket. Now I am not taking to take apart your headgasket that's a totally different thing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,
This is very typical of a leak in the manifold , or as others have said a vacuum leak.
As some of the hoses around the carb get old they sometimes crack & leak
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
car with the bad idle

Hey Imp Duck:After all your good advice, I finally broke down and put my car in the shop for the bad idle problem. My mechanic found the problem to be the Intake Vent Assembly. It cost me about $350.00 to find that out and have it fixed, almost $100.00 of it went towards the diagnostic check that I didn't need. However, with all that said it is running great and again I like to thank you and everyone else who assisted me in this matter. Have a great one and keep the e-mails coming.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Charles Mc said:
Hey Imp Duck:After all your good advice, I finally broke down and put my car in the shop for the bad idle problem. My mechanic found the problem to be the Intake Vent Assembly. It cost me about $350.00 to find that out and have it fixed, almost $100.00 of it went towards the diagnostic check that I didn't need. However, with all that said it is running great and again I like to thank you and everyone else who assisted me in this matter. Have a great one and keep the e-mails coming.
Charles, i have a proble with my 318i idle too it runs great at 2k rpm but when in idle it doesnt pick up power straight away until few seconds and some time it gets worse idle jumps up & down. So where is this Intake Vent Assembly located i will give it a try? thanx in advance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts