Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've purchased a brand new 2020 BMW 530e G30 and it comes with iDrive 7 Professional.
I want to install an aftermarket sound system and would like to know which MOST protocol this head unit uses. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
359 Posts
iDrive 7 has no MOST, RAM (factory amp) is connected via OABR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ****. Do you know if there's any way I can get a decodeable digital signal from the car or will I have to use an analog connection?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
iDrive 7 has no MOST, RAM (factory amp) is connected via OABR.
Thanks for the info!

So, I did some quick digging around and it seems like iDrive 7 Professional uses "MGU" in replacement of "NBT-EVO". It does not have a MOST connector at all and instead uses OABR. It also does not have a traditional "quad lock" connector, which is used in I think pretty much all older cars from all manufacturers. More info from the wiring: http://www.bimmercrew.com/2018/10/news-bmw-head-unit-mgu.html
Does iDrive 6 use the "NBT-EVO" head unit or the newer "MGU" head unit?
I think iDrive 7 Professional is only included in G30 5-series manufactured 07/2019 and fowards, while 06/2019 and earlier still use "NBT-EVO". Can anybody confirm this information?

65122622873 and (and equivalent supersessed part numbers) are for the iDrive 6 (NBT-EVO) harman/kardon amplifier, with MOST connector.

65129832609 and (and equivalent supersessed part numbers) are for the iDrive 7 (MGU) harman/kardon amplifier, with OABR connector.

However, I haven't been able to find a picture of this amplifier with the OABR connector. Does anybody know where I can find one? (My car hasn't yet been delivered, but when I get it I will attach a picture here to help other people out.)

Also, does anybody know of a DSP that can connect to the OABR interface?
Either 1) process the signal and apply equalizer and speaker timings
2) convert it to a TOSLINK digital/optical output so it can be equalized and converted into analog in another DSP
3) covert it to analog using a higher quality than the one in the head unit or factory harman/kardon amplifier

·
Premium Member
40,011 Posts
Thanks for the info!

So, I did some quick digging around and it seems like iDrive 7 Professional uses "MGU" in replacement of "NBT-EVO". It does not have a MOST connector at all and instead uses OABR. It also does not have a traditional "quad lock" connector, which is used in I think pretty much all older cars from all manufacturers. More info from the wiring: http://www.bimmercrew.com/2018/10/news-bmw-head-unit-mgu.html
Does iDrive 6 use the "NBT-EVO" head unit or the newer "MGU" head unit?
I think iDrive 7 Professional is only included in G30 5-series manufactured 07/2019 and fowards, while 06/2019 and earlier still use "NBT-EVO". Can anybody confirm this information?

65122622873 and (and equivalent supersessed part numbers) are for the iDrive 6 (NBT-EVO) harman/kardon amplifier, with MOST connector.

65129832609 and (and equivalent supersessed part numbers) are for the iDrive 7 (MGU) harman/kardon amplifier, with OABR connector.

However, I haven't been able to find a picture of this amplifier with the OABR connector. Does anybody know where I can find one? (My car hasn't yet been delivered, but when I get it I will attach a picture here to help other people out.)

Also, does anybody know of a DSP that can connect to the OABR interface?
Either 1) process the signal and apply equalizer and speaker timings
2) convert it to a TOSLINK digital/optical output so it can be equalized and converted into analog in another DSP
3) covert it to analog using a higher quality than the one in the head unit or factory harman/kardon amplifier
iDrive 6 uses "NBT-EVO" head unit, not newer "MGU" head unit.

For Audio Upgrades, i would contact:

Technic
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=1673
www.TechnicPnP.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've researched a bit and here's what I found that might be of help to people like me, who are used to dealing with NBT and MOST and are a bit shocked with this ID7 OABR thing.

iDrive 7 (ID7) Professional uses the MGU headunit and RAM module. They do not use MOST and instead use OABR.

MOST is a pair of optical fibers, usually colored bright orange or bright green.
OABR Ethernet uses one pair of twisted copper wires.

Some functions previously performed by the headunit (NBT-Evo and NBT) are now performed on the RAM on the back of the vehicle, such as:
-> radio and sattelite radio antennas
-> wiring to the audio speakers***

MGU (Media Graphics Unit) (headunit) is responsible for doing most of the stuff on the infotainment system.
It has the following connectors: GPS antenna (if TCB2 is not installed), Bluetooth antenna, Wi-Fi antenna, USB-A port, USB-C port, either optional CD player or japanese toll card reader on the rearview mirror, touchscreen display (APIX), 5x OABR Ethernet and the Main Connector (K-CAN4, power, etc).
The OABR goes to the: RAM, TCB2, RSE, BDC, and DCS (if DCS is not installed, it goes directly to KOMBI).

TCB2 (Telematic Communications Box) is responsible for emergency calls and vehicle cellular internet connection. It's not on all cars.
TCB2 has the following connectors: driver's side microphone (it usually redirects the signal to the RAM, unless there's an emergency call), emergency button near sunroof, emergency speaker, CSM, induction phone charger base (if fitted, because it amplifies the LTE signal), one aerial module (SDARS radio, GPS, DAB-L, cellular, LTE amplifier), 1x OABR and the Main Connector (K-CAN4, power, etc).
The OABR goes to: MGU.

RAM (Receiver Audio Module) is responsible for radio tuning, creating the artificial engine sound (therefore replacing the ASD), and driving the speakers. It's on all cars but in different versions (RAM_MID, RAM_HIGH)
RAM has the following connectors: driver's side microphone (if TCB2 is not installed) passenger's side microphone, driver's side microphone (which comes from the TCB2), SDARS radio (if TCB2 is not installed), another aerial module (DAB-3, FM, AM, TV), 2x OABR, acoustic protection for pedestrians external speakers (on hybrids), audio speakers*** and the Main Connector (K-CAN4, power, etc).
The OABR goes to: MGU, "Booster".

"Booster" is actually just an audio amplifier. It's not on all cars.
"Booster" has the following connectors: 1x OABR, audio speakers***, external exhaust ASD speaker.
The OABR goes to: RAM.

The wiring diagrams are different for the four different audio systems: "stereo", "HiFi", harman/kardon (TOP-HiFi) and Bang&Olufsen (High-End).

The complex speaker wiring diagrams and pinouts for G30 are available on https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/
Home / BMW G30 530e iPerformance Sedan / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Body / Audio mode, video mode, navigation, telephone (MOST ring) / Sound output /
Home / BMW G30 530e iPerformance Sedan / Wiring Diagrams and Functional Description / Functional wiring diagrams / 03 Body / Speakers /

Select the option corresponding to your audio system that applies to "hu_mgu ram01".
The ones that say "NOT hu_mgu NOT ram01" are for 2019 cars, manufactured before July 1st 2019, which have NBT-EVO headunit and iDrive 6 (ID6) instead of MGU and iDrive 7 (ID7).

Details:
Acoustic Pedestrian Protection is different from Active Sound Design.
Acoustic Pedestrian Protection is an external speaker always powered by the RAM.
Active Sound Design is a synthetic engine sound created by the RAM and played on the inside speakers and also on external speakers placed near the exhaust.
Cars with "stereo" or "HiFi" (instead of "TOP-Hifi" and "High-End") might have the "Booster", but it only powers the external ASD speaker.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, my question remains: is there any way I can get a digital audio signal from the system? like using an aftermarket processor to intercept the OABR signal before it reaches the RAM?

You probably wonder why would I want that.
Firstly, because I'd still be able to control the volume using the iDrive instead of having an external volume control.
Secondly, because the DACs (digital to audio converter) and also the amplifiers on the RAM and Booster are crap.

On the MOST25 vehicled (BMWs until ID6) and MOST150 vehicles (new Mercedes and VW Group) I can connect a DSP (such as mObridge and NAV-TV ZEN-V / ZEN-M) replacing the OEM amplifier. It's perfect.

It looks like the only way to install an aftermarket audio system would be to take the degrated signal from the speaker out wires from the RAM/Booster, right? I really dislike that idea though :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is not possible to "intercept" any OABR signal. OABR data in your car uses IPSec. Any tamperrring with OABR data traffic will trigger Component Protection in headunit and RAM.

·
Registered
BMW M850 G15 2020
1 Posts
So, my question remains: is there any way I can get a digital audio signal from the system? like using an aftermarket processor to intercept the OABR signal before it reaches the RAM?

You probably wonder why would I want that.
Firstly, because I'd still be able to control the volume using the iDrive instead of having an external volume control.
Secondly, because the DACs (digital to audio converter) and also the amplifiers on the RAM and Booster are crap.

On the MOST25 vehicled (BMWs until ID6) and MOST150 vehicles (new Mercedes and VW Group) I can connect a DSP (such as mObridge and NAV-TV ZEN-V / ZEN-M) replacing the OEM amplifier. It's perfect.

It looks like the only way to install an aftermarket audio system would be to take the degrated signal from the speaker out wires from the RAM/Booster, right? I really dislike that idea though :(
I'm also trying to find a way to install a proper DSP on a G15 2020 with HK option 688... Did you end up finding a solution?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also trying to find a way to install a proper DSP on a G15 2020 with HK option 688... Did you end up finding a solution?
I didn't spend much more time researching.
I purchased a Porsche Panamera and sold the G30 530e. (the reason wasn't the stereo haha)

The standard sound system on the Panamera is worse than you can possibly imagine. Porsche really wants you to spend a couple of livers on the bling mediocre B&O system.
That car really is a gramophone technology-wise compared to the BMW. While the BMW has everything you can think of, including semi-autonomous driving, the Porsche in my country doesn't even have any sort of telematic connectivity at all. It hasn't even got USB-C ports. But the engine and suspension and build quality in general is so much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts