BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble lately with my Idrive system. Each time I come to a stop, obviously the auto start stop kicks in. I have it on, and I'm fine with it being on. So when I take my foot off the brake or in general when the car decides to turn on, the Idrive screen turns off. My music stops and my phone calls cut off. The screen turns black for like 5 seconds then reboots. It's really frustrating and it's been happening a lot lately. And the thing is no check control messages come up or chimes or anything, as if nothing happened. I just wanted to ask you guys before I take it to the dealer to see if anyone ran into this before. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I wonder if the battery is running at a low charge level. The heavy current draw from the starter may pull the battery down below the minimum threshold and the system starts to shut down electronics. That's a long shot. The dealer should be able to sort it out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if the battery is running at a low charge level. The heavy current draw from the starter may pull the battery down below the minimum threshold and the system starts to shut down electronics. That's a long shot. The dealer should be able to sort it out for you.
Maybe, but wouldn't I get a "low battery charge" check control message. And all F30's have regenerative braking, which charges the battery as far as I know.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble lately with my Idrive system. Each time I come to a stop, obviously the auto start stop kicks in. I have it on, and I'm fine with it being on. So when I take my foot off the brake or in general when the car decides to turn on, the Idrive screen turns off. My music stops and my phone calls cut off. The screen turns black for like 5 seconds then reboots. It's really frustrating and it's been happening a lot lately. And the thing is no check control messages come up or chimes or anything, as if nothing happened. I just wanted to ask you guys before I take it to the dealer to see if anyone ran into this before. Thanks.
Do you take lots of short trips? What is your normal commute like? I also think you could have a battery issue but obviously am not sure. If you have lots of <10 mile trips with stops in between, you are not driving long enough to charge your battery.

The car will shut down "non essential" items if the battery charge is low. and my guess is the radio is considered "non essential".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts