BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ahhh... BMW... :)
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all… just got a 2011 sDrive 30i, and it’s exhibiting a weird oddity… every now and then, the screen AND the soft “gong” (that you get when you don’t have your seatbelt on) stop working… it doesn’t flip up at all, although the radio still works.

Now, the culprit appears to be one of the radio fuses (#14 -- 15A), but get this: first, it’s fine (not blown), second, when I pull it out and pop it back in, the screen works just fine… then at some point it stops working and I have to do it again. I tried DeoxIt and it seemed to have liked that for a bit, but it did it again earlier this evening. I just went in and swapped the fuse with a different one (equal rating) to see what it’ll do, but has anyone ever seen this kind of behavior? Once the screen pops up, it’s guaranteed to keep working until sometime after I shut off the car…

Does the E89 have some weird “fuse check” where if it thinks it’s going bad it disconnects that circuitry? Seems rather redundant, given the functionality of a fuse, but hey…

P.S. I have mini fuses coming next week, FWIW…

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think there is anything going on with the fuse. I'd look at the connection behind the fuse box on that particular holder. Once a fuse blows, it is blown and has to be replaced, the conductor is broken within the fuse. The connection behind the fuse holder is just pressed in, over the years, bumpy roads will take its toll on poorly crimped connections. How difficult is the fuse to pull, and replace? If to easy, the slide in may be worn. Good Luck, please post your remedy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to complicate matters, but an outfit called "BimmerTech" sells a MMI that puts your phone screen up on the screen. Thereby, getting around the 3G phase out. They advertise that it can be installed, then "uninstalled" should you by another car. So, as Surfwooder has suggested, loose wire may be to blame. Bimmer Tech has a decent You Tube video on how to do the install, perhaps try it, and check all the spliced wire connections.

·
Ahhh... BMW... :)
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think there is anything going on with the fuse. I'd look at the connection behind the fuse box on that particular holder. Once a fuse blows, it is blown and has to be replaced, the conductor is broken within the fuse. The connection behind the fuse holder is just pressed in, over the years, bumpy roads will take its toll on poorly crimped connections. How difficult is the fuse to pull, and replace? If to easy, the slide in may be worn. Good Luck, please post your remedy.
It was not easy to pull out... not easier than any other fuse, at least... so far it's been behaving (now that I swapped them) so I'll leave it alone for a bit and see if it settles down, but that'll be the next thing I check if it happens again -- thanks! (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts