BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have the same problem? i connected my Y cable to my phone but it says "its not supported". I tried plugging in my usb cable and still "not supported" but atleast it charges my phone. Do i need to update the software? HELP?!:dunno:

·
I probably dislike you...
781 Posts
Do any of you have the same problem? i connected my Y cable to my phone but it says "its not supported". I tried plugging in my usb cable and still "not supported" but atleast it charges my phone. Do i need to update the software? HELP?!:dunno:
Do you have either the enhanced USB/Bluetooth with BMW assist option or the tech package in your car?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Please provide the last 7-digits of the VIN.

What exactly are your trying to get from the iPhone 5? BMW Apps or Music?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Based on your VIN, you have all the right stuff!

Have you update the Bluetooth software yet?

If not, go to www.bmw.com/update and download and install the newest version available. That added support for iPhone 5.

Also, you don't need the Y-cable, you can just use the white cable or stream music over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Your iPod adapter is too new to require an update -your car was made last January.

Therefore I would suggest restoring the iPhone and using the Apple white cable afterwards.

You should be able to see your iPod music under CD/External Devices/XXXX iPhone or whatever iPhone name you are using.

BMW Apps requires the app to be running at the iPhone and then it will connect to the iDrive via the white cable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your iPod adapter is too new to require an update -your car was made last January.

Therefore I would suggest restoring the iPhone and using the Apple white cable afterwards.

You should be able to see your iPod music under CD/External Devices/XXXX iPhone or whatever iPhone name you are using.

BMW Apps requires the app to be running at the iPhone and then it will connect to the iDrive via the white cable.
thats good to know. I'll try it again. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I had used a Y cable some time ago in an X6. But that was for an iPhone 4.

I am using a 5s with a standard one foot long USB to iPhone 5s. No issues.

Is there a reason to use a Y cable?:dunno:

Also, the newer iPhones/iPADs have to use cables with the chip inside the connector so the iPhone/iPAD can detect it is a valid/appropriate cable.

I don't think the older Y cables had the chip installed but the newer ones might. This sounds more like the wrong cable than an iDrive issue.

Try a standard iPhone USB/charging cable.

UPDATE:

Just saw another older thread that stated pre-2015 models don't have the digital to analog converter capability. It looks like something changed over the past couple years that I am not entirely sure about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey chuck92116,

I tried the standard cable, tried oem cable, I hoped this BMW Y adapter cable has something that extracts the analog audio from the lighting connector. Maybe that missing converter should be located in the adapter housing.
Still, for all the cables I used with iphone5 and iphone4 I get the same issue, "Reading" then "Not supported".

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2013 F30 works just fine with my wife's iPhone 5 and my iPhone 6 using either the Y cable or the std lightning cable. I use the lightning cable to get the album art.

I do have enhanced BT but not using BT. Latest versions of IOS and iDrive software. CIC.

It works perfectly.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
BMW still uses an old Apple interface in models without a Combox, thus the Y cable requirement.

I had used a Y cable some time ago in an X6. But that was for an iPhone 4.

I am using a 5s with a standard one foot long USB to iPhone 5s. No issues.

Is there a reason to use a Y cable?:dunno:

Also, the newer iPhones/iPADs have to use cables with the chip inside the connector so the iPhone/iPAD can detect it is a valid/appropriate cable.

I don't think the older Y cables had the chip installed but the newer ones might. This sounds more like the wrong cable than an iDrive issue.

Try a standard iPhone USB/charging cable.

UPDATE:

Just saw another older thread that stated pre-2015 models don't have the digital to analog converter capability. It looks like something changed over the past couple years that I am not entirely sure about.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Ask your local dealer for the new OEM Lightning Y adapter.

Hey chuck92116,

I tried the standard cable, tried oem cable, I hoped this BMW Y adapter cable has something that extracts the analog audio from the lighting connector. Maybe that missing converter should be located in the adapter housing.
Still, for all the cables I used with iphone5 and iphone4 I get the same issue, "Reading" then "Not supported".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.