BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So an update:
Took the car to Bimmersport in Mississauga for a diagnostic. They said its one of two things (needs further 5 hours to diagnose, didn't learn anything new at all today):

1. Faulty wire somewhere.
2. If not that faulty CCC.

At this point I'm convinced the idrive is toast. Aka CCC. Gonna try sourcing a used unit on eBay and having it coded.

Since my car is a 2004, what's involved in installing a CCC from a 2008?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/390934185118?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Or should I just find a used 2004-07 CCC? Dealer quoted 1500$ no install.

What would you guys do? Please don't say blow 500$ on having it "diagnosed"!

Can the new unit be coded with NCS Expert or INPA ?

Really dislike my car nowadays. Driving my wife's SUV cuz this thing just pisses me off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
So an update:
Took the car to Bimmersport in Mississauga for a diagnostic. They said its one of two things (needs further 5 hours to diagnose, didn't learn anything new at all today):

1. Faulty wire somewhere.
2. If not that faulty CCC.

At this point I'm convinced the idrive is toast. Aka CCC. Gonna try sourcing a used unit on eBay and having it coded.

Since my car is a 2004, what's involved in installing a CCC from a 2008?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/390934185118?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

Or should I just find a used 2004-07 CCC? Dealer quoted 1500$ no install.

What would you guys do? Please don't say blow 500$ on having it "diagnosed"!

Can the new unit be coded with NCS Expert or INPA ?

Really dislike my car nowadays. Driving my wife's SUV cuz this thing just pisses me off.

You sound frustrated, but this is not that expensive or hard to repair, and if that the worst thing you need to do to your car, you are in pretty good shape.

The actual physical installation is extremely simple, and you can do it less than 30 minutes. It can be coded with NCS expert but it you are not familiar with coding you can do a remote coding session from several reputable coders. I think would be fairly reasonable.

I would try to stay with the same version CCC to just make the install easier. There is no advantage to going with a newer version.

I would also buy one with the screen, just in case that has an issue. You can always resell it later, if it's not needed.

There are a number of them on eBay. like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E63...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ed102875&vxp=mtr

Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have experience using NCS expert, not much info online on what needs to be coded when doing a CCC a swap. I've read there are about 5 modules that need to be coded.

I'll take your advice on finding a unit with a screen.

You're right it could be worse!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have experience using NCS expert, not much info online on what needs to be coded when doing a CCC a swap. I've read there are about 5 modules that need to be coded.

I'll take your advice on finding a unit with a screen.

You're right it could be worse!

Have a look on bmwcoding.com and you may find what you need. Not sure about the 5 modules. I'll check on that.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Have a look on bmwcoding.com and you may find what you need. Not sure about the 5 modules. I'll check on that.
No the 5 modules is only for upgrading to the CIC system. You should have an easier time of it. If you need more help PM me and we can talk.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You sound frustrated, but this is not that expensive or hard to repair, and if that the worst thing you need to do to your car, you are in pretty good shape.

The actual physical installation is extremely simple, and you can do it less than 30 minutes. It can be coded with NCS expert but it you are not familiar with coding you can do a remote coding session from several reputable coders. I think would be fairly reasonable.

I would try to stay with the same version CCC to just make the install easier. There is no advantage to going with a newer version.

I would also buy one with the screen, just in case that has an issue. You can always resell it later, if it's not needed.

There are a number of them on eBay. like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E63...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ed102875&vxp=mtr

Good luck.
Sory to thread jack, but you mentioned doing a remote coding session. I wopuld like to have a remote coding session, but dont know who or how to contact anyone that does that (looking for a good quality and price guy). Do you have any contact information for remote coding sessions?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Sory to thread jack, but you mentioned doing a remote coding session. I wopuld like to have a remote coding session, but dont know who or how to contact anyone that does that (looking for a good quality and price guy). Do you have any contact information for remote coding sessions?
I think Mike Benvo may be able to help. Try him
http://www.bpmsport.com/

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just when I'm ready to order a CCC, I discover the following trend. Whenever the battery is low, whether I'm cleaning the car, leave a door open or something, and you feel the take that extra 10% effort to start, the idrive boots up right away.

Last night my wife left the headlights on overnight. I guess the car shut them off eventually. When I started it this morning, she struggles a bit to start, as the battery was most likely low and I have idrive.

There's a connection in amperage or voltage coming from the battery with whether the idrive boots or not.

I wonder if I can install a resistor somewhere between the battery and idrive power input ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Battery & iDrive connection - probably yes.

When my iDrive went flaky the battery was probably going also... I did not make that connection until you mentioned it because the iDrive issue was a month or so before the customary signs of a battery problem showed up...

·
Registered
42 Posts
My iDrive only works if I turn the ignition switch on with the Battery Tender still attached.
I get the flashing reboot if it's driven, then restarted (really annoying at night).
The battery is new and was registered.
Bill

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Having said that would you change the battery or the CCC?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Installed a new CCC on the car yesterday, all is working well except PDC. :)

I'll do some coding with ncsexpert later today and get that sorted out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts